Paigetherage

Surgery date and approval question

3 posts in this topic

I had my 3rd weight check with my surgeons office 2 weeks ago, according to insurance I need to have 6 weight checks during a 6 month supervised diet. I have Excellus BCBS in NY. I was told the doctors office will call after the 3rd weight check and give me a surgery date then a few weeks before the surgery date they will send my info to insurance for approval. I haven't gotten my date yet and I'm getting super antsy.

im very curious about your journey!! What did your insurance require? How long did you have to wait for a surgery date after you started the process? Did you get a date after insurance approval or before? I was scanning through other threads and didn't get the answers I was looking for so I thought I'd start a new one! :) 

Trish1967 likes this

My insurance company did not have any pre surgical requirements such as losing weight, or waiting a certain amount of time before I could schedule my surgery. My SURGEON, however, did. I'm a diabetic (happily in remission now :D), and therefore I had a pretty enlarged liver. My surgeon wanted me to lose at least 20 pounds, as fast as I possibly could (because the faster you lose it, the quicker your liver shrinks). He scheduled my surgery at my second appointment, because I had lost 22. By the day of surgery, 2 months from the start of my pre op process, I had lost 34 pounds. 

They generally give you your surgery date before they submit the paperwork to the insurance company, because they need the date to approve you. Different companies have different guidelines as to how long they can take to give you an answer. Mine allows them 14 days to approve and notify you. I didn't get the approval notice until, I think, 6 days before my surgery. It's very nerve wracking, for sure, but if you keep following the surgeon's instructions, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Since your insurance company requires a 6 month supervised diet, however, they may not be able to give you a date until you have completed the full 6 months. Try to focus on sticking to your pre op plan, and things will happen when they are supposed to. We are all here to support you, so if you need to come here to vent, please do!! The whole pre op process can be extremely frustrating...but it does come to an end, I promise!! Before you know it, you'll be sitting alongside of us on the losers bench!!

Edited by Trish1967

I had the 6 month diet.  I was cautioned not to miss a month.  Insurance would start the 6 months over.  

I didn't have to lose weight, just not gain!  I also had the psyc eval it was 4 sessions..