Kio

I'm out!

38 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

You should ask your doctor this question, but it should be safe to sleep in any position.  You may find that is much more comfortable in the week or two after surgery to sleep on your side or on your back or snuggling a large pillow.  Also, keep in mind that in a few months, after you lose a lot of weight, you may change the way that you like to sleep.

Finally, I hope that you can make it to our Boston area TTF get together next summer - by that time you should be a real skinny minnie.  :)

Lol - not sure why I didn't think of asking one of them, since I'm surrounded! I'll do that today. 

And I'll totally come to the get together! I get intimidated by new places right now, never sure if I can physically manage them. But there will be a lot less of me by then - I should be able to go where I want without thinking twice. :)

Res Ipsa likes this

Kio I used a pillow pet just tucked around my tummy and was able to sleep on my left side even while still in the hospital. It did take awhile for me to get comfortable on my right side though.

Last night I slept in my recliner downstairs.  It seemed like the best out of all my options, even though it meant climbing stairs to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  The stairs don't actually seem very hard to navigate, so that's a plus! I think tonight I'll try to sleep in my own bed, with a pillow as suggested! 

NerdyLady and Trish13 like this

3 minutes ago, Kio said:

Last night I slept in my recliner downstairs.  It seemed like the best out of all my options, even though it meant climbing stairs to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  The stairs don't actually seem very hard to navigate, so that's a plus! I think tonight I'll try to sleep in my own bed, with a pillow as suggested! 

It is great news to hear that you are doing well.  Hopefully it will be smooth sailing for you from now on!

It sounds like you are doing great, @Kio! Glad you made it home and are getting settled in. Hope the bed works well for you tonight. I slept in the recliner for about a week, then was able to get in the bed gingerly. It wasn't too long before I was sleeping in my normal comfortable position. Other than sleep - how are you doing? How's your intake?

glad you're home and recovering!  hope it all goes easy!

1 hour ago, Trish13 said:

It sounds like you are doing great, @Kio! Glad you made it home and are getting settled in. Hope the bed works well for you tonight. I slept in the recliner for about a week, then was able to get in the bed gingerly. It wasn't too long before I was sleeping in my normal comfortable position. Other than sleep - how are you doing? How's your intake?

Good to know - I deeply believe in sleep, and the recliner isn't super comfortable!  Better than the bed, though - I tried that and felt like my insides were about to fall out.  So tonight is another recliner night for me.

Beyond that I'm doing pretty well.  I got about halfway through my protein and water quotas for the day, and I have some ideas for doing better on that tomorrow.  I did a lot of walking, and want to increase that, too.  Tomorrow I may try walking around the block instead of endlessly circling the kitchen island :)

I also think I may have run into the sensation of restriction today.  It's hard to recognize because it's so different from what I'm used to experiencing as fullness.  This is sort of like... a feeling of bloat, but in a line down from my sternum to my belly button. Then a few minutes later it goes away - because I'm just drinking liquids, I suppose. They drain through pretty fast.  I didn't track very well today - honestly I spent a lot of today sleeping.  But tomorrow and going forward, I'm measuring all fluid intake with my medicine cup - I'm all set and ready to go!

My sore throat seems a lot better today too, though I'm still sounding like a five-pack-a-day smoker.  In fact I don't have a significant amount of pain anywhere.  Sometimes when I first stand up it feels like gravity is pulling on things that shouldn't be pulled on, but it's more of an ache, not any kind of serious pain.  Thanks for checking in!!! :)

Trish13 and NerdyLady like this

14 minutes ago, CJireh said:

glad you're home and recovering!  hope it all goes easy!

Thank you!  I hope so too.  So far so good... I'm just trying to relax and let my body figure things out!

NerdyLady likes this

@Kio - sounds like you are doing incredible! Just listen to your body. Sleep where you need to and when you need it. I am 2 month post op and a nap still sounds good most days...lol!  Remember to track those fluids and protein intakes, it is important to know where are you are - especially right now. I use My Fitness Pal app and I love it. It is pretty user friendly. I keep my weight lost tracked in it too. I hope each day you continue to feel stronger.

Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this

Trish, glad to hear you use the My Fitness Pal...I had used it for years, so it will be easy to go back too (tho honestly, it will have my old weights I worked so hard at which will either embarrass and depress me or reinforce why I have to have the surgery bc I can NOT do it myself!) 

11 hours ago, CJireh said:

Trish, glad to hear you use the My Fitness Pal...I had used it for years, so it will be easy to go back too (tho honestly, it will have my old weights I worked so hard at which will either embarrass and depress me or reinforce why I have to have the surgery bc I can NOT do it myself!) 

@CJireh I logged on to Fitbit and saw my weight history. Up, down and sideways! I deleted that info and I felt free. :D

Jen581791 likes this

1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

@CJireh I logged on to Fitbit and saw my weight history. Up, down and sideways! I deleted that info and I felt free. :D

Delete delete delete! All that old weight rollercoaster history is a real downer. 

@Kio I'm so glad to hear that things seem to be going really well for you. It sounds like you have a good attitude about the changes and an ability to be flexible, which is so important with all the crazy life changes we're all going through. Take it easy on yourself, do what makes you feel comfortable, work towards your goals, and keep your eyes on the prize. You're going to do great! :) 

Oddly enough, I always kept my weights...never let them "reset" them on WW or at my gym etc...bc I probably partly wanted to punish myself for being "bad" and regaining, but I went to a WLS seminar once, years and years ago (wish I had followed through, but I was much younger and still needed to see if I could do it on my own....which was about 50 lbs ago...so NO was my definitive answer!) and they said some ins companies need to have a record of your weight loss attempts before approving and I figured I could get a print out from WW and uses that.  As it turns out, I didn't need a thing.....so now I can stop punishing myself and "reset" my weights....I will do that when I have my surgery and I bet it will be very freeing!

Jen581791 likes this