Kio

I'm out!

Done deal. I'm officially five hours post-op. All good so far! Some pain, no nausea cuz I'm wearing a patch. Ice chips all I'm allowed at this point. Still in recovery because my room isn't ready. Had a bit of oozing at one incision when I stood up but otherwise no issues. Made it to the bathroom and back plus a little further for kicks / on my own two feet!! In a recliner now. 

More later I'm getting zzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Congratulations Kio and welcome to the losers bench!

Yay! So glad the patch is working for you. I woke up throwing up in spite of it. Boo! Already walking to the bathroom and further! Way to go! Good idea sticking with the recliner. You're doing great!!!!

Sounds like a successful day overall....rest now ^_^

Yay!! Welcome to the first day of your new fabulous life!

Congrats!

Outstanding news!!! Welcome to the losers bench!!! 

Wonderful Kio!  Get all the rest you need.  When getting out of bed to use the restroom or whatever, make sure to hit the pain med "button" first.  That helped me a lot.  Incision pain really only lasted 3-4 days for me.

Great news!!!  Welcome to the losers bench. You are on your way to a lifetime of being healthy, thin and more active. :)

Welcome to the losers bench!! You'll love it here :) I'm so happy you're doing so well, and happy to hear your nausea is controlled. That was the worst for me. Get some rest!! Yay you!! You did it!!

Congratulations, Kio!  Glad to hear you're doing well.

Huzzah!! Congratulations @Kio! Take all the pain meds they give you. There is no need to suffer needlessly. You'll find that you won't need them by week's end. Welcome to Team Loser. It's great over here! I'm having a dance party for you right now! 

IMG_5306.GIF

Congratulations !!

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

Now you'll start to get answers to all those questions you had pre-op!

Thanks everybody! Still doing well today. I had some coughing and some ugly phlegm last night, and ran a tiny fever (99.something) but nobody got excited about it so I tried not to as well. Fever and phlegm gone this morning. However, I do sound like I'm running a 1-900  number, rocking the sexy-hoarse voice. 

I did did so much walking yesterday! I was on the recovery floor until about 9pm and I made 10 laps around it throughout the day. My nurses were impressed! They said most GB patients barely make one round on the same day as surgery. Got a room at 9, and walked this floor a lot too - including several laps around 2 am and even more at around 5am. I'm determined to stay active and lose!

Today should be all the clear liquids I want - my mouth is dry constantly so it'll be good to move beyond one ounce of water per hour.  No hunger so far, but also no sense of restriction. They are going to try me on protein shakes today and said I'd be able to feel restriction then. It's even possible I'll get discharged tonight if I keep doing well! Though I kind of hope I don't - the only bathroom at home is on the 2nd floor and I don't relish the climb!!!

It is great news that you are up and walking a lot after your surgery!  :)

Way to go!  Hope it's smooth sailing!!

Congrats. It's so much better on the recovery side of the surgery than waiting for it! Just watch where you go on your night-time strolls. Somehow I managed to wander into the supposedly locked pysch ward in the middle of the night......presumably it wasn't inhabited at the time because there were no staff....and I struggled to find my way out. Only I could do that!!!!

11 hours ago, Aussie H said:

Congrats. It's so much better on the recovery side of the surgery than waiting for it! Just watch where you go on your night-time strolls. Somehow I managed to wander into the supposedly locked pysch ward in the middle of the night......presumably it wasn't inhabited at the time because there were no staff....and I struggled to find my way out. Only I could do that!!!!

Best. Story. Ever. 

Kio,

I have never had any sensation of fullness from sipping liquids but then I've never been a chugger or a gulper.

Good to know, @cinwa! I am traditionally a gulper, but have had no trouble transitioning to sips.  My only concern is that everything hurts right now - muscularly, from coughing - so I can't tell if I'm full or not.  I don't want to LITERALLY bust my gut by accidentally taking in too much at once!

Also, the shakes they are sending me are terrible.  I miss my premier protein.  Another great reason to go home!

You need to sip liquids at first, but with a gastric bypass you probably will be able to gulp liquids after a few months (the liquids should flow easily from your stomach pouch into the small intestine giving you more room for liquids in your stomach pouch).  For example, I begin every day by drinking 30+ oz of cold liquids in about 20 minutes.  

I found it wonderful to get home from the hospital after surgery as I could control what and when I ate and drank.  Be sure to take it easy for a while terms of trying to list anything that weighs more than a couple of pounds.

59 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

You need to sip liquids at first, but with a gastric bypass you probably will be able to gulp liquids after a few months (the liquids should flow easily from your stomach pouch into the small intestine giving you more room for liquids in your stomach pouch).  For example, I begin every day by drinking 30+ oz of cold liquids in about 20 minutes.  

I found it wonderful to get home from the hospital after surgery as I could control what and when I ate and drank.  Be sure to take it easy for a while terms of trying to list anything that weighs more than a couple of pounds.

I hope that holds true for me too - Up till now I've taken my water like medicine, in quick timed bursts.  Liquid that goes into me tends to skip everything else and run directly for the bladder, even without surgery, so I have kind of a water aversion I'm going to need to get over.  

Being back in control will be great.  I'm getting a lot of judgmental looks (in a friendly way) from the nursing staff when I can't finish a protein shake. All they have are chocolate and vanilla, and they're either Carnation Breakfast Essentials Light start or Unjury.  The carnation stuff just tastes weird, and unjury is v. v. hard to mix with cold skim milk, which is all they're providing.  

I can't wait to get home to my Premier Protein shakes!  I had Leah and Meg bring one of each flavor when they came to visit me yesterday - not to drink, just to taste and see if I still liked them.  Vanilla, strawberry and banana all tasted the same, but the chocolate kind (which I used to like) tasted bizarre and wrong.  Anyway, I know I'll like three out of the four flavors, and will probably have less trouble finishing them as a result.

As for lifting - don't have to tell me twice!  I plan to milk this recovery for all it's worth.  Leah can be my arms and abs for a while!! :) 

Oh, I do have a question though.  Is it going to be safe to sleep on my side?  I usually do, at home, with some fairly regular tossing/turning to the other side in the night.  Here at the hospital I've slept on my back, because it's sort of the only alternative.  I may sleep downstairs in my recliner for a few days after I get home - that would also be on my back.  But eventually I would like to get back to my side because even for all the tossing, I sleep best that way.

I couldn't sleep on my side until I realised that I needed to have some support under my stomach.  A body pillow came to my rescue (basically the same width as a regular pillow but about 2 or 3 times as long).  That stopped me from rolling too far onto my tummy.

Walmart has a reasonable selection.  

46 minutes ago, Kio said:

Oh, I do have a question though.  Is it going to be safe to sleep on my side?  I usually do, at home, with some fairly regular tossing/turning to the other side in the night.  Here at the hospital I've slept on my back, because it's sort of the only alternative.  I may sleep downstairs in my recliner for a few days after I get home - that would also be on my back.  But eventually I would like to get back to my side because even for all the tossing, I sleep best that way.

You should ask your doctor this question, but it should be safe to sleep in any position.  You may find that is much more comfortable in the week or two after surgery to sleep on your side or on your back or snuggling a large pillow.  Also, keep in mind that in a few months, after you lose a lot of weight, you may change the way that you like to sleep.

Finally, I hope that you can make it to our Boston area TTF get together next summer - by that time you should be a real skinny minnie.  :)