Heather Deschenes

T - 12 days!

11 posts in this topic

My surgery is scheduled for 12 days from now.  I'm both excited and nervous.  Been second guessing my choice for surgery the past couple days while on the 2 week pre-op diet.  Thinking, maybe I can do this on my own - because I really want to eat what everyone else is eating.  Thinking maybe I should bail - because then I could eat 2 solid meals today instead of one. But, like many other comments I've seen, I've tried doing this on my own and I keep failing.  Sure, I've had some successes, but something derails me and I gain it back.  I'm 40 this year. I have kids that I can't keep up with and I feel like a 'blob'. I want to have fun with them.  I want to play basketball again. I want to run without carrying all this excess weight. I joined this group because it looks like a great support system.  I even found another member who had my surgeon 6 years ago and is doing well.  Look forward to hearing from some others who are about to get surgery and working through this journey together! 

I think we've all been in your shoes Heather.  Personally, I spent 35+ years dieting, thinking I could do it on my own only to end up heavier than before.

I didn't have my WLS until I was 52+ - don't make the same mistake.  Life is too short and too precious.

Thanks cinwa!  Glad I'm not alone. Appreciate your reminder that time is precious.  We never know how much we have.  

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome Heather.  My starting waist was a very tight 48 and now can get into a comfortably tight 36, comfortably loose 38. I was 65 when I had my RNY in May of 2013 and I have never regretted a day since then when I started at 272 and was 5'6". I dropped to 173 within the first year after my RNY. I got back about 20 and have stayed at this level now for 4 years. I am now a 70 year old man. I am going to do a 5 Day Pouch Reset and hope to get back to 170 or so. .  I was always in constant fear of falling or tripping prior to my surgery. I had several very bad falls prior to my surgery that landed me in the ER.  Luckily no broken bones!  I very happy with my decision to have WLS and know that recovery is always "One Day at a Time".  So welcome aboard to TT and enjoy your journey!

Edited by ELLEVONS

Welcome, Heather! Second guessing is normal. We all thought those things and moved forward anyway. I'm so glad I did! Glad you found us.

I, too, have debated that (I haven't even gotten mine scheduled yet but I am close).  You COULD lose some weight (in fact you WILL these next two weeks) but you could also gain it back easily if you just did it on your own w/o the surgery!  I have lost at least 1000# in my life...down 13#, up 15#, down #5, up #3, down #2, up #8....you know the story, we've all been there and done that.  I, personally decided I can't do this anymore.  It is not only discouraging and frustrating, but the yo-yo dieting we have all done is very unhealthy!  From all I have heard/read, the best thing to do is find support....so good thing you're here!  Keep posting :)

Thanks all for the warm welcome, encouragement and shared stories! This is a group I definitely need!  

Trish1967 and Gretta like this

Welcome!

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome!! This group is absolutely wonderful!! The wealth of information from folks at every stage in the WLS journey is so helpful and the support is, by far, the best you'll find anywhere!! 

Second guessing yourself prior to surgery is very normal. This is a huge life change, and can be a bit daunting while preparing for it. Just remember, the liquid phase is relatively short. It's hard, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. But I guarantee you will not regret it!! You'll be amazed at the things you'll be able to do once the pounds start dropping off! I had my surgery about a month after my 50th birthday...and I really truly wish I had done it 10 years ago! You can do this!!

Jen581791 likes this

Oh, the weight I've lost and gained again in my life :( Regain is the most depressing thing ever, and I look forward to not having to deal with that - I plan to remain highly compliant after I reach GW. 

Second guessing yourself is normal. Reading a bunch of articles that the NY Times ran over the last few years really helped me understand that I was very unlikely to be successful on my own without surgery. Here are a few of them if that kind of thing is helpful to you: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/opinion/sunday/why-you-cant-lose-weight-on-a-diet.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/well/why-weight-loss-surgery-works-when-diets-dont.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/insider/research-scientist-finds-inspiration-in-reality-tv-show.html

Like many others, I wish I had done my surgery 10 years earlier. 

CurvyMermaid likes this

Same here. Today I actually felt a little pissed off that I hadn't done this surgery 10 years earlier. I wasted so much freakin' time being restricted by weight! I will never get those years back! Grrrrr.....

But then I had to stop and realize, by doing the surgery I have at least added some years to my life to make up for those I lost. And I'm young enough that I can do a whole heckuva lotta livin' in these years. :D 

valslosinit and Gretta like this