Cadoodle

ONE month ago

7 posts in this topic

How quickly one month has passed!  I checked into the hospital a month ago today and have been on my way along this new way of life learning as I go.  Overall, I have had nothing but smooth sailing.  The usual aches and pains of the surgery are a vague memory.  I have only experienced tummy aches on 2 occasions and I could figure out both times that I had made the mistake of eating or drinking a little too fast.  Thank goodness for zero upchucks!! I hate those as much as the next person or more!  I am still struggeling with weekly constipation though and I have begun to take vitamins with no iron on 4 days and vitamins with iron the other days to see if that helps.  Probiotics should help too.  My family says I am glowing!! I am over joyed that I am feeling so great.  Some afternoons I get really tired so I am being very careful to drink enough fluids and get my protein.  

My BIGGEST lifestyle change has got to be more exercise!  I have not been online very much in the past month and I am wondering if it may be because I have not been sitting around as much as before! It is very likely because I feel so much better now that I sleep so good each night.  I was diagnosed with sleep apnea before the surgery and now that I sleep with the CPAP I get a wonderful nights sleep and feel so much more alert daily.

Another God sent discovery was that my doctor did many tests including an ECHO cardiogram before my surgery and at my 2 week checkup he told me that all of my test reports were wonderful except one.  The echo showed an aortic root aneurysm.  I say it is a God sent discovery because it is usually unknown about until an emergency situation or a rupture resulting in sudden death.  So YES I am grateful to have learned about it and I will see a cardiothoracic  surgeon Monday Sept 11th.  Elective surgery is absolutely safer than emergency!! I will learn more about my condition then, but I have to say that God had a plan for me to find out now instead of later.  Meanwhile I am anxiously waiting and sticking to my plan to get healthy!!

Since the pre op days I have lost 32 pounds and since the surgery one month ago I have lost 11 pounds.  That is not as much as I thought it might be, but HEY, at least I am still around for the rest of the party to go on!!! 

Bye for now and thanks for being here to lead the way.  

Suzanne

Congratulations Suzanne - sounds like you're off to a great start.

Don't be down on yourself for having lost 11lb since surgery.  Generally, those who lose a good amount on their pre-op tend not to see a big drop straight out surgery.  

Cadoodle and BurgundyBoy like this

Wow, I love that you're "glowing"! So glad the heart issue was caught early. Wow. Please keep us updated on that. Love that you're out there getting exercise and sleeping well. The weight loss most definitely will happen. You're well on your way! Thanks for checking in.

Edited by Gretta
BurgundyBoy and Cadoodle like this

3 hours ago, Cadoodle said:

How quickly one month has passed!  ...Suzanne

Suzanne glad you are doing okay. just want to echo @cinwa's comment that a lot of pre-surgery loss often predicts a bit less right after surgery, and that it is your overall loss that counts. 

It is a blessing your sleep apnea and aneurysm were diagnosed. My father had his aneurysm diagnosed and had surgery and thrived thereafter. My mother likely died of an undiagnosed aneurysm. Pretty stark difference. Plus, as your weight goes down your blood pressure will go down too, decreasing the chance of your having a rip or rupture. 

What could be better, more sleep, less weight, the glow of exercise?? Hoping to hear more from you soon - BB

Jen581791 and Cadoodle like this

Thank you ALL for the positive support!!! I mean it! You are the greatest !!

tracyringo and Gretta like this

Congrats @Cadoodle if it's any consolation I am a slow loser too !  12 lbs since surgery, we will get there.

Jen581791 and Cadoodle like this

@Cadoodle Congrats for doing so well in the first month :) It's so good to hear that you're feeling good and having a good experience. Losing slowly is ok - just keep at it and the pounds will add up to a lot very soon. Besides, who would think 11 pounds in a month is slow except WLS people?! :lol:

Glad they caught your aneurysm before it causes a problem - all those med checks do some good!