NikRKin

Anxious pre-op newbie❣️❣️❣️

Good morning all..... I am sitting here pondering the day as I pack my bags to head to the hospital for my gastric sleeve surgery TODAY!

I have researched and gone to pre-op classes for my insurance company/doctor so I know I am sort of mentally prepared BUT today I am nervous!!!

I am hoping for a few pointers for when I return home later this week. Best advice???

THANK YOU!!!

Welcome to Thinner Times Nik!

It's normal to be nervous going in for your surgery but it might help to read the reviews on your surgeon (Dr. John Yadegar) over on Obesity Help: http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-john-yadegar/

Best advice I can offer for when you come home is to walk frequently, have a variety of drinks available (you might not like the same drinks that you do before surgery).

Thank you❣️

Welcome, NikRKin :) 

Best of luck with your surgery today!! You'll do great! I agree with @cinwa...walk, walk, walk!! Definitely have a variety of drinks available. A lot of people have a change of taste after surgery, so it's good to be prepared. Let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it!! 

Sleep propped up for a few days to avoid gastric reflux.  My first night at home it hit me like a truck (I was flat on my back because I didn't know to prop up).  Make sure to keep us updated.  We are here for you <3

Well, ok... some advice. 

1. Stay on top of your fluids and protein intake. Early problems relate to staying hydrated, and having enough protein to let your intestines heal after surgery. Small frequent amounts will do the trick. @Trish1967 is on the money - if your tastes have shifted, shift what you take in. But don't miss your early targets if humanly possible. 

2a. Walk. 2b. Avoid reflux  - as @TammyP and @Grettanote, these will make you a lot more comfortable.   Expect some degree of shoulder or chest discomfort - dissolved carbon dioxide gas from when they inflated your stomach.  It's gas but not the same as intestinal gas. Walking, and the passage of time, help this kind of discomfort whereas intestinal medications or probiotics may help the intestinal gas. Walking also reduces the chance of throwing a blood clot or something similar after surgery. 

3. Do NOT expect you will (magically) lose weight right after surgery. You will be puffed up with fluids and some degree of inflammation after the surgery. Some people take 2 weeks to go negative, others 3 days. My two cents is that the walking will help your body to mobilize those fluids and pee them out so your trajectory of weight loss will be more evident at an earlier time. Don't set yourself up for an emotional roller coaster early on with unrealistic expectations for the pace of your loss. 

You WILL lose weight and be substantively without hunger during this process. Just follow your plan, you'll be fine, be vigilant for anything unexpected. Discomfort, some pain, some nausea, are common. Their arc should be to diminish after surgery. 

POST on how you are doing! and if you have any worries ask here!

Best of luck today! You'll do great! Sip, sip, sip. Walk, walk, walk. Change positions often. Try to sleep sitting up as much as possible for the first few weeks. The liquid diet stinks. Keep telling yourself it's temporary. Come here to complain. If you feel super hungry, it could be acid (take a medication for acid). If you feel surgical gas pain, take pain medication for it. Happy healing!

You got this, I'm two weeks out to my surgery date. I'm self reflecting alot, questioning if I have the mental capabilities to do this. I know I do, but the questions still linger and I am sure the same is going on for you. Keep positive and find a routine or method that works for you. Music and walking helping me slightly getting through the pre-op diet. Welcome to Thinner times :D

@NikRKin welcome. I hope your surgery went well and that you are on the looser's bench now. I'm still waiting for my surgery on Monday. People gave you good advice. Good Luck and Happy Landings.

10 hours ago, NikRKin said:

Good morning all..... I am sitting here pondering the day as I pack my bags to head to the hospital for my gastric sleeve surgery TODAY!

I have researched and gone to pre-op classes for my insurance company/doctor so I know I am sort of mentally prepared BUT today I am nervous!!!

I am hoping for a few pointers for when I return home later this week. Best advice???

THANK YOU!!!

Hope surgery went well. Write when you get work, oops, I mean, post when you are able;)

Checking in to see how you're doing NikRKin.

@NikRKin I hope you are at home by now and that you are doing better than you thought you would! I had my surgery one month ago today and my best advise for the coming days is to sip on bone broth (richer flavor than broth) and nice and warm to the tummy.  I was not  able to drink cold liquids during the first days but room temp or warm was comforting.  Move around as much as you can.  I asked my husband to hold me and pat me on the back like you would burp a baby!! It made me feel better too! I slept with 2 pillows and moved in bed VERY slowly.  My doctor sent me home with medication for pain and I kept up with those scheduled doses for several days with no harm.  Slow sipping will probably help you avoid tummy pains.

Welcome to our group!!

Congratulations! Follow your plan. Walk and sip. Don't stress too much about anything. You'll feel a little better everyday. If you get grouchy or feel emotional, that is part of the process and you'll soon feel like yourself again. But better because you'll be healthier and lighter!

Hi @NikRKin - hope everything went well!  Let us know how it goes, okay? :) 

Hello Everyone, first of all, thank you so much for the wonderful advice. My surgery was delayed until 6ish on Tuesday night(9/05). The nurses say I was a textbook case and everything went great. I did everything they asked of me in the hospital but I am so glad to be home this morning. Walking, trying to drink my protein and walking!!!:wub::wub::wub:

That is great news Nik - congratulations and welcome to the losers bench.

Thanks for the update! It sounds like you're doing so great!