Trish13

Somebody pinch me...just not too hard

14 posts in this topic

This last week has been a very interesting week for me. I started the week a little on the down side of the rollercoaster of life and my WLS journey. I know this a long post, but it was a week worth sharing.

Monday I went to the Dr and found out they had no documentation of my ER visit or hospital stay in my records. The PA gave me a goal of 40G of protein each day by my next visit. I didn't know whether to laugh at her or cry. I am sure my face was a mixture of looks and was probably a sight to see...lol!  It was just  not a very good day overall. Weight: 268,2

On Tuesday I spoke with the TPN nutritionist and had a long talk about my frustrations of always being tethers to the machine at night. She gave me the option to take any one night off for my sanity and to get mentally reset  Weight: 268.2

Wednesday was the day. I had a rough day with the kids, work, and overall stress and I didn't use my TPN bag!! WOW...can you say, SWEET freedom??!! I slept so good and for almost 10 hours, which I never do. I woke up happy, refreshed, and strong. Weight: 267

Thursday was nothing spectacular except I got in 34g of Protein, my highest postop amount to date.  Weight: 265.2

On Friday I was in a super great mood and I was able to complete a huge work task that loomed over me all week. At the end of the day, my jaw dropped because I ended it with a whopping 44g of Protein my highest intake to date - YAY ME!!! Weight: 264.8

Saturday was family day all day long. We went shopping, visited family, and went to the park with the kids, and I was able to keep up just fine. At the end of the day, I was tired but it was the most activity I had done since surgery. I suspect it was mostly likely due to my decent protein intake the day before. Protein was lower today - about 33g, but better fluid intake. Weight: 264.5

On Sunday I made it to church after missing the last couple of weeks. Was great to see everyone, and after church my daughter and I went to get pedicures - it was a lot of fun. Afterwards we went for a walk at Valley Forge Park as a family. Protein Intake was 37g, Weight: 264.5

Today - Happy Labor Day to all!  Today....today I got in a pair of pants TWO SIZES smaller. Yes, you read that right...I got into a size 20 bottoms from a 24/26. I literally cried! And to boot, they were the pants I wore the night I met my husband FIVE YEARS AGO!!!! Let's just say that today, he couldn't keep his hands off me. The emotional lift from today was amazing on so many levels. Since my surgery, this is the very first day I felt like myself and you couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Oh yah, I had 47g of protein today - What the what??!! Did you see that number??!! Woohoo! Weight: 263.4 - that is a 4.8 pound weight loss this week! Maybe I'm finally on the upswing of all of these troubles, and rounding the corner to a more normal healing and healthy stage.

Other things I found out this week -

Ribs are not my friend and neither is shrimp. While I like ribs, I am more devastated by the shrimp hands down. On both, I got serious cramping, pain, and nausea in my stomach - like my tummy just didn't like it versus any dumping.  Once I threw up the ribs, I was 100% better - instant relief. However the shrimp had a much different retaliation and I was incredibly nauseated, and it was shrimp because I tried two different nights to eat it in two different places. I had to take nausea meds to help me, but they did their job within 30 mins or so.  I am hoping the shrimp is only temporary setback, and I will be able to eat it successfully in a couple of months.

Hooray for higher protein intake, great weight loss, and smaller pants!!! Go you!!!

Trish13 likes this

Great update! It sounds like things are on the upswing for you :) You must be glad to be out and about again.

Sorry about the shrimp and ribs. Give them a pass for a while and try again later, I guess. Funny how each and every person's stomach is different!

Trish13 likes this

Thanks for the update @Trish13

I'm so glad you're on the mend!!

It's wonderful to see the weight go down and to wear smaller sizes. I'm sure, once you've off the TPN you'll see even more weight loss.

The closer you get to meet your protein requirements, the better off you'll be. And the more results you'll get. I learned it the hard way. Oh and the less hairloss you'll experience.

Soon,the difficult beginning will only be a bad memory and you'll be happy with better health and improved body image:)

I'm so pleased for you Trish - fingers crossed that you have now turned the corner.

Trish13 likes this

Brava! I'm happy for you @Trish13! You must feel great having lost so much weight this week. Isn't getting into smaller sizes an incredible ego boost?

Girlfriend, you deserve better medical care. Can you find a new surgeon? I had my surgery at one hospital and follow up care at another facility in another country. I haven't had the medical concerns you've had but you deserve a team that works together to monitor your health carefully. 

Again, I'm thrilled for you!

Trish13 and Trish1967 like this

11 hours ago, Trish13 said:

This last week has been a very interesting week for me. ...

Ribs are not my friend and neither is shrimp. ...

Seems like you have really turned the corner. Must make you feel wonderful! and great for all of us to hear. 

[I'm sorry about this distance between you and ribs/shrimp. With any luck they will realize the error of their ways and return to you soon... <_< ]

Trish1967 and Trish13 like this

Hooray and kudos and congrats and all the smiles! Your excitement was palpable with every day you recounted for us. Cheers (**I raise my protein shake to you**)

Trish1967 and Gretta like this

Congrats on all the improvements, @Trish13!  And so sorry about the shrimp thing.  I too am a big fan of shrimp so I'll be looking forward to updates on your relationship with it.  =D

Trish1967, Trish13 and NerdyLady like this

16 hours ago, Trish13 said:

Ribs are not my friend and neither is shrimp. While I like ribs, I am more devastated by the shrimp hands down...  I am hoping the shrimp is only temporary setback, and I will be able to eat it successfully in a couple of months.

Had some success pureeing cooked shrimp into nano-particles of flavor and protein in a Vitamixer. Then adding to Fish Broth. Just a thought...

Don't give up on shrimp Trish13.  I found that I was unable to eat shrimp anything hotter than room temperature and that remains unchanged today.

I was never a big meat eater but post-WLS, I wasn't able to get it down regardless of what it was or how it was prepared.  But fish and shrimp were fine as long as it wasn't beyond warm and I cut it up into small pieces.

Trish13, Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

Great news on your week! :)

Ribs and shrimp are both very firm foods that probably will not sit well in your stomach for a few more months. <_< Try eating softer protein foods like chicken, turkey, fish, beef that has been cooked so long as to be both moist and fork tender (e.g. beef stew), pulled pork, meatloaf, etc. 

Also, i can't wait until you post in a few months about wearing size 8 (or lower) pants!  Weight loss is a wonderful thing. 

Oh!! so many congratulations and happy thoughts for you!! I'm so pleased to hear that things are starting to finally move in the right direction for you!! You're going to blow past these hurdles and reach your goals!! You go girl...keep that sassy attitude, and nothing will be able to stop you!! You're doing it!! ❤️ H U G S!!!

Trish13 likes this

On 9/5/2017 at 9:43 AM, NerdyLady said:

Girlfriend, you deserve better medical care. Can you find a new surgeon? I had my surgery at one hospital and follow up care at another facility in another country. I haven't had the medical concerns you've had but you deserve a team that works together to monitor your health carefully. 

Again, I'm thrilled for you!

Agreed, 1,000 percent!!

Trish13 likes this