Sign in to follow this  
Pixx

Stevia?

So I just joined a gym, and have been working out nearly 3 weeks now, and when I enter or exit I walk past the front counter, where there is always someone who wants to know if I want to try one of their protein shakes. I politely decline and keep on going. However they seem so very persistent, so I stopped the other morning and asked about the ingredients in the shakes. They had a sheet that listed everything that goes into the shake. Apparently, I live under a rock as I wasn't aware of so many different types of protein! It kind of threw me off for a bit. Anyway, I immediately look at sugar content first when I examine a label nowadays because pretty much anything over 10 grams gets my heart a little too excited and my taste buds just can't handle the sugar since surgery. The entire list showed anywhere from 20-30 grams of sugar per shake. I gave them back their list, thanked them and told them I couldn't do that much sugar in a shake. One of the trainers standing there assured me that the sugar used was Stevia, "the good sugar." I didn't know what to say to that... so I just smiled, said thanks and went home. I don't know much about Stevia, I don't know what effects it has for bypass patients and I don't see my doc until October, so I was wondering if anyone had experience with it? If it is just a sugar substitute I would still not be able to take in 20-30 grams of it in one drink! Thoughts? Comments? Thanks!

Stevia is not listed as "sugar" on nutritional facts, so he was misinformed. You were right to avoid it.

I love stevia and use it to sweeten my iced tea. If you try it, be sure it is pure stevia, and not something blended with a sugar alcohol (anything with the suffix "-tol" listed in the ingredients), as those can cause gastrointestinal distress (gas & diarrhea).

On 9/4/2017 at 4:05 PM, Gretta said:

Stevia is not listed as "sugar" on nutritional facts, so he was misinformed. You were right to avoid it.

I love stevia and use it to sweeten my iced tea. If you try it, be sure it is pure stevia, and not something blended with a sugar alcohol (anything with the suffix "-tol" listed in the ingredients), as those can cause gastrointestinal distress (gas & diarrhea).

@Pixx allow me to second Gretta's comment. If there were sugars listed as 20-30 grams then most likely they were the 'scurrilous scabrous' evil (usual) type of sugar, since Stevia would not be listed as a sugar. The number of high protein products out there is amazing. The sugar alcohols"-ols" (sorbitol, xylitol, mannitol) are sweet but can cause diarrhea and bloating. 

Because Stevia is a natural product (comes from a plant) it is favored by a lot of natural-type people. Although I am a natural-organic type person - I prefer Splenda. (I have never found myself other than in complete agreement with Gretta so this is, well, shocking). :rolleyes:  This is a matter of taste not right or wrong. 

Back to your query: There is some data to suggest that a protein drink right after exercise is good for muscles. I was in an Austin Texas YMCA in April this year and they had Premier Protein drinks (130 g protein, only 1 g carbos) in their vending machines. I was both stunned and delighted. Would your gym take a suggestion as to what to have in their machines? But honestly a glass of skim milk has protein and could act as a protein recovery drink after exercise.