Peace all,

My surgery was on 8/25/17. It feels like I'm through most of the really intense pain. But the emotional work is heavy and comes and goes. From thoughts of, - I'm so fat I had to get surgery- - I deserve this pain and struggle for being fat - to - I'm doing what's good for me and I'm moving towards a healthy life. At day 9, and one more week of liquids. I'm so bored and frustrated with my lack of options. Food is life, on tv, online, in convos and my mouth waters! I was with visiting family they ate all day! 

Most times I'm ok with this temporary phase, I know it gets better bla bla. But right now liquids is it and I've had a few freak outs! -I want real food- -I'm starving- followed by *tears.* Then I wonder if it's an oral fixation? I suck on sugar free lifesavers and popsicles. 

Drinking slower is getting less aggravating and I'm thankful. I'm starting to like sipping and actually enjoying a beverage. I have yet to reach my protein or h2o goals - working on it. And, starter vitamins today!

Much peace

Welcome! No doubt about it, the liquid stage is just plain awful. Nothing sits in your sleeve long enough to feel any fullness and (at least for me) everything went right through me. I was so cranky, but it didn't last forever. As far as oral fixation, I got by on sugar free gum & snow cones. Complain as often as you like. Only one week to go! You can do it!

Edited by Gretta

Welcome and best of luck on the liquid stage! @Gretta is right - it's pretty bad. It'll soon all be a distant nightmare, though ;) It sounds like you're feeling ok, which is the most important part. 

In my long liquid stage (ok, two weeks, like you), I found a little respite in soup with all the solids strained out of it, particularly spicy soups like Thai coconut curry. It was a nice break from all the sweet stuff, even if there was nothing to chew. 

I think we all go through that mental struggle: how did I let myself get so fat that I need surgery?!?! Just let it go. You can't change your past: it's what made you who you are. This is just one chapter in your story, and it's a chapter with an amazingly happy ending. 

Welcome to Thinner Times Ani!

I'm sorry you're struggling a little on the liquid diet but you've come so far, you can manage one more week.

Same as Jen, strained soups with a bit of a kick in them got me through the liquid phase.  

Hi and welcome, Ani! 

I found the first month difficult. I cried a lot and was afraid. The fear of what I had done was overtaking me and I needed support to calm down. This forum has helped me immensely. The support from people who understand where you are coming from is invaluable. 

The past is the past. Don't beat yourself up for your weight. Obesity isn't your fault and you clearly care enough about your health to make a radical change. WLS isn't easy. This is a hard moment in your life and you will have to work at maintain your weight for the rest of your life. The good news is that it becomes easier over time. Every pound you lose is less stress on your organs and your joints. You should be proud that you have the strength to take a radical step to save your life. 

Don't be shy about sharing your challenges. From bowel movements to questions about your breast tissue, no honest question is taboo here. 

Congratulations on taking this step to save your life! I'm looking forward to getting to know you better! 

Edited by NerdyLady

All the feels for @NerdyLady comment above.  I agree with it all, especially obesity is not your fault and you don't therefore deserve to feel pain.  Be kind to yourself @Ani.  You have made a wonderful decision to change your life for the better.  And as your life does get better (I promise, it will!), you can let go of that shame.

Ani, did it get better once you started on more solid foods?

How are you doing Ani?