Drake

Surgery Scheduled - New Life Pending

28 posts in this topic

So where to start...

A little about myself I suppose, I am 6'2 weighing roughly around 510ish and have been on a weight loss journey since July 6th 2015. The day I turned 29 and laid one of my best friends down to rest. I had the Honor of speaking his eulogy and being his Paul Bearer. I've always been over weight and just never really reflected on how much it affected my personality or even my health. Most of the jobs I've had were sit down desk jobs and the last ten years I've been working in Call Center Management. I got the news my friend had passed and was one of those life changing moments you really don't see coming. Out of all my friends, for some reason the group always looked up to me as a leader. Never knew why, I always thought low of myself and just acted out of impulse then anything.

The Eulogy was given and I realized my anxiety was something I never faced before til your looking down to hundred or so faces in a church. Heart was racing in my chest and I felt myself going 'Can I do this..' and I took a deep breath and knew I had to do it for my buddy. I spoke for a good twenty minutes of my friend, past, family, and our many youthful adventures where most of the time it got us into trouble. Then it came time to carry the casket to his resting place, I never thought I would have a problem and then half way carrying it to the car my heart felt like it was gonna explode out of my chest.

Was July, 103 degree heat and the only thing I could think of is 'Don't fall, you got this.' While the mind was willing my body was like 'Red Alert Captain! I ain't got no more!' (Yes I'm a Trekkie :D )

I got through it but it was one of the hardest moments in my life, and I vowed to change my life. At the time I was say 565ish maybe a little bit more.. couldn't ever find a scale to read that high unless I went to the Doctor and the last place I want to be on earth when things hit the fan is a Hospital.. The whole Zombie Apoc scenario.

So I changed my diet, gave up soda's, fast food, and did my best to just eat healthier. End of August I joined a Gym and took my weight, I was about 550. So my journey started with a bang. I met with my Physical Trainer who I knew I couldn't afford and got some tips and my PT offered to sponsor and train me at a huge discounted rate. I accepted and got the boost I needed.

Fast forward til July of 2016, I'm down to 440 and struggling with my diet but still got my body to a point where my back wasn't hurting, I could walk 2 miles in a hour and not feel like I was gonna collapse afterwards.

::Insert First Major Road Block::

One of my other friends offered to buy my my First Tat on my Birthday, and I was like sure why the hell not. On the way to the parlor in Downtown Austin I took a corner and my foot snagged into a crack in the sidewalk and I landed all my weight down hard upon my twisted foot. The injury at first felt like a pain I never felt before but I walked it off with a slight limp. I got my Tat went home and iced up my foot, not thinking anything about it. Went back to the gym and couldn't finish a mile cause my left side as over compensating and caused my foot to feel worse and my knee, hip and lower back were on fire. My trainer told me to take a break to allow my foot to heal. 

About that time I got promoted at work which put me in a position I was on my feet for 85%-90% of my day for 8 hours a day. I put my career before my health and started downing pain killers like skittles. I got through a few months of this but my body was just not having it, I got depressed and started to stress eat. I slowly rose up to 480 by Christmas and got promoted again which landed me back at a desk.

This was the time I needed to prop my foot up and let it heal, and it took a long time for it to heal which I never knew it took so long for a foot injury to heal. I looked into WLS, concerned about my options and my insurance covering it. I started in February of 2017 walking down that road and meeting with a few surgeons til I came across Capital Surgeons Group of Texas. Going into a Doctor's office should be achievement on my part, but I explained my situation and started me down the path. I started to pinch every penny I could, which one thing after another things happened which kinda put a dampener in my progress.

Went through all the steps, and finally got approved for my Surgery at the beginning of August of 2017. 

My surgery is set for 9/19, I am getting the Vertical Sleeve.

Starting my liquid diet today on 9/1 and I'm finding it a PITA... So decided to join a support group which I found ThinnerTimes and figured being a writer it was a good place to vent and reach out to communicate with people whom are going through the same trials I am or have gone through them.

So for those TLDR people.... Here I am! :D

Thank you for reading and hope to grow within the community as I go through this journey. 

Welcome, Drake!  This is a great place to ask questions and share your story - you'll find many people in many different stages of this project, and everybody is helpful and kind.  I've been here a few months, and I'm so happy I found it.  Good luck to you!

Drake, Trish1967, Jen581791 and 1 other like this

Thank you Kio for the warm welcome, cool tracker Signature :D

Sally L, NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

Welcome! So glad you found us! This is a great place for information and support. That liquid diet is quite a pain. Thank goodness it's temporary!

Drake, Trish1967, Jen581791 and 2 others like this

Welcome, Drake!  Thank you for sharing your story thus far.  New chapters await and are just around the corner.  Thinner Times is where I discovered so many success stories which gave me confidence that I could do this and be successful as well.  WLS is a powerful tool that will support your efforts, which would seem formidable given the losses you've already achieved.  Hang in there with the liquids - before you know it that part will be back in the distance.

Drake, Jen581791, Trish1967 and 1 other like this

Again thank you all for the warm greetings, I've been starting slow so far. Most of the week I've been doing two meals as liquids (protein shakes) and having a solid meal once during the day. Started it with dinner being my solid meal but found out that the intake of solid food for dinner keeps me up all night. So I've been alternating between lunch and breakfast. 

Tomorrow is my first full day of pure liquid, I wanted to start on the weekend as I've been reading a few post on here that it takes about three days for one to get use to it. I don't want to be cranky or snappy at work being I lead a team of 23 agents. So starting tomorrow morning! Shakes, Broth and TONS of water... wondering if downing water when I feel hungry will help... being I didn't get the sugarless Popsicles. 

Welcome Drake. I hope everything goes smoothly for the lead into your surgery.

Sally L and Trish1967 like this

Welcome!  This is a great group!  Good luck on your journey!

Sally L and Trish1967 like this

2 hours ago, Drake said:

Thank you Kio for the warm welcome, cool tracker Signature :D

Thanks!  You can click on it if you want to make your own - and there's a thread on how to do it over here:  

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome, Drake! It sounds like you definitely have the will and organizational skills to be successful after WLS, since you've done so well leading up to it. Losing that much weight on your own and getting a good gym routine going takes a lot courage when you're heavy. Good for you.

Looking forward to welcoming you to the losers bench!

Stephtay, NerdyLady, Sally L and 1 other like this

Welcome to Thinner Times Drake!

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome to TTF Drake!  If you stick to the (high protein, low calorie and low carb) diet plan from your surgeon, drinks lots of no calorie liquids, take your vitamins, and lead an active life style you will be amazed at how much weight you can lose after weight loss surgery.  It will take you a while to reach your goal weight, but it truly is life changing to transform into someone who is healthy, thin, much more active, and likely to live a decade or more longer.

We are here to support you.

Stephtay, Trish1967, Sally L and 1 other like this

Welcome to TT, Drake!! Congratulations on your decision to have WLS, and get yourself healthy!! We are all here for you :) 

Hi @Drake

Welcome to TT. You have come to the right place for information and support.

WLS is really a life changer. I look forward to reading your posts and your progress.Good luck on your journey to thinland and better health.

Edited by Sleevalicious
Sally L likes this

Welcome to our corner of the Internet @Drake! You will find love, support and friendships among the folks who hang out here. People on TTF have gone through everything (and I mean evvvvvrrrryyyyything) you are experiencing. Don't be afraid to ask any questions or share your frustrations. 

I wish you well. Again, welcome!

BurgundyBoy, Jen581791 and Sally L like this

:D

Thank you all for the warm welcome to our little slice of the internet.

I'm finding the liquid diet hard to keep up on top of, and I started a few days before I should of and failed twice. I'm into my second day with only liquids and the headaches are starting to dwindle down. I've been slamming my hunger pangs with Ice cold water between my can of chicken broth or protien shakes. It's a bit easier but I'm finding it hard to sleep, think more then ever my mind is hyperactive about this coming up surgery, doubts and facing the realities of why I ate in the first place. 

Most of it is boredom, other factors are stresses in my life. Lucky for me I have a great support team here, and in my life. Just need that ever present slapping hand to knock be back to reality when I'm staring at something solid and I wanna eat it lol.

Walked to work this morning, first time in almost a year and that felt surprisingly good. 

Sally L, Cheesehead and BurgundyBoy like this

Glad you had a good walk. The liquid diet is just terrible, but you'll get through it. Sugar free gum really helped me. Keep complaining to us. We can relate!

Sally L likes this

6 minutes ago, Drake said:

I'm finding the liquid diet hard to keep up on top of, and I started a few days before I should of and failed twice. I'm into my second day with only liquids and the headaches are starting to dwindle down. I've been slamming my hunger pangs with Ice cold water between my can of chicken broth or protien shakes. It's a bit easier but I'm finding it hard to sleep, think more then ever my mind is hyperactive about this coming up surgery, doubts and facing the realities of why I ate in the first place. 

Most of it is boredom, other factors are stresses in my life. Lucky for me I have a great support team here, and in my life. Just need that ever present slapping hand to knock be back to reality when I'm staring at something solid and I wanna eat it lol.

Walked to work this morning, first time in almost a year and that felt surprisingly good. 

I found that freezing the shakes and then eating it with a spoon helped me feel like I was "eating".  I liked it best at a sort of slushy consistency.  My surgery was a week before Christmas so the preop diet was during "goody season" which was so hard.  But, it all seems like a distant memory now and soooo worth the end result.  You've got this!

Stephtay and Sally L like this

1 hour ago, Drake said:

Yup, liquids are boring compared to solids. BUT after 3-5 days on the high protein / no carbo liquids, your headaches will be gone, hunger will also substantively disappear - - - as you will be in ketosis. And the trickery mentioned by @msmarymacwith frozen stuff and gelatins will help a lot. If you like Japanese stuff, try sheets of nori seaweed when you are desperate to chew something.  Only a couple of calories per sheet and the stuff turns into goo in your stomach. Nori is what is used to wrap rice/fish sush rolls. 

WLS is physically about having a physical change to your intestines BUT in my view about 80-90% of this, at the end of the day, is the head game. It's the not being seduced by a Dorito or pizza or whatever your trigger food was; not eating when stressed or emotional; and building the daily habits that will allow you to sustain a successful loss over the years. Honestly you could almost eat deep fat fried butter (ech....) after WLS and because of your space limitations still lose weight. It is the head game of not eating or snacking between meals, or of drinking a big glass of water or Crystal Light when tempted, and things like that. Healthy eating habits, some exercise if able, good social support.... So @Drake your posts suggest you have insight into your eating, and perseverance and mental strength, which will serve you very well. Really it's the head game. Surgery works. It could work for nearly everyone but some people can't navigate the head game end of it. One of the beauties of WLS is that if you just follow your plan, you succeed. Part of the head game is not overthinking things... but just following your Plan. 

Can you figure out a way, given your work, to set aside an hour a day for yourself? Walk to work and back every day? Some walking, some kind of exercise, ... I swim at the Y when in Austin visiting relatives... gotta be nice to your joints 'til your weight is down. Good luck. Keep posting. 

And really sorry to hear you lost a friend. IF there is a silver lining it could be that it led, in a convoluted way, to your getting your normal-weight life back. I don't believe there is a reason for everything; but do believe that we can learn from most things around us (being sentient beings, O Trekkie). 

Stephtay and Sally L like this

Welcome @ Drake.  This is a great place to get support and express yourself. My RNY surgery is 9/11 and yours is 9/19 so we are September buddies. The pre=op diet is bad but it is a means to an end.  It also gets you ready for life after surgery.  Take care.

I'll have to try freezing the Protein Shakes, thanks for the suggestion.

So I've been doing Keto for a few months already, low carbs limiting myself to 100g carbs a day. Now with the liquids only, I'm finding myself going through a much worse version of the Keto Flu. My brain feels like it's on fire at times, not sure why but it's coming quite annoying. I'm three days in with the full liquids, so far I've been proud of myself and walking to work every day has come to be a gratifying feeling since my injury prevented me from walking 2 miles a day a year ago. 

So I know I'm not allowed pain killers before surgery, anyone ever get this burning feeling in their head on the Pre-Op Liquid Diet?

13 minutes ago, Drake said:

So I know I'm not allowed pain killers before surgery, anyone ever get this burning feeling in their head on the Pre-Op Liquid Diet?

Drake,

Put a call into your surgeon's office about pain medication.  I was allowed Acetaminophen (Tylenol or generic) but no NSAIDs, such as aspirin and ibuprofen.

Welcome Drake!  I enjoyed reading your thread.  Your life has had some radical changes...the best is yet to come! :)

Welcome to TT and congrats on your sleeve date! I was sleeved on 9/19 nearly 4 years ago. Best decision I ever made. You'll be at goal before you know it!

Gretta likes this

1 hour ago, Drake said:

I was allowed my narcotic pain relievers and paracetamol right up until surgery day. Just not allowed any NSAIDs. Talk to your surgeon.