Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pincushion

My Progress 7.5 months post VSG.

8 posts in this topic

So tomorrow, September 1st is one year since I started down the WLS path.

I went to my first seminar to learn about my options and to see if WLS was right for me. I decided a week later that I had to make that drastic decision, because what I had done for the last 30 years was not working.

I started at 351 lbs. and by making small changes in my diet i was able to get down to 318 for my surgery on Jan 18th 2017. I won't lie I was a little worried I had made to wrong decision my first week after surgery, but about day 15 or so it started getting easier and every day after that got a little better. 

I was learning what worked and what didn't, how to eat and keep myself hydrated. Before to long I suddenly realized food no longer controlled me, I had given up beer and I was surprised it didn't really bother me as much as I suspected it would. I was amazed that I found that i only really eat to fuel my body now, rather than to escape, reward, to socialize with others, or to comfort myself  as I did in the past. 

4 months after surgery I took a cross country motorcycle trip from San Diego .CA to Quebec Canada (150 miles east of Montreal) 6500 miles round trip in 13 days. I would not have been able to do that as easily at 351 lbs. I learned that I can still find a few reasonable food options at truckstops, and gas stations. I also learned that 12 hours of riding each day for 6 days in a row will take its toll on you if you don't fuel you body correctly. I ate a lot of Starbucks breakfast sandwiches without the bread (exactly the right size portion for me) after I drank half of my small coffee (I would save the rest of the coffee for the next gas stop in 150 miles)

After my trip, I've been making the gym a habit again (3-4 times a week), i go in the morning before work, and it is getting easier. Strenght training at least twice a week and cardio the remaining days.

I've had to down size my clothing a few times and I am back in things I kept that I really never thought I would wear again. I started at size 48 inch waist jeans, and now I wear a 34 inch waist comfortably. My 4XL shirts are now baggie 2XL, soon to be XL.

Today the scale said 205 lbs, I found that if I weigh myself everyday I get crazy, so I only measure my weight once a week (Wednesdays or Thursdays) some weeks the scale jumps down a few lbs (or more) other times just a few ounces but I feel good and I try not to obsess about the numbers  

I am very happy with my decision to have VSG, and I have to thank so many of you for being honest and sharing the good, the bad, and the challenges you have faced along your journey. You all made me feel I was not alone in this, even though I mostly read (lurked) and not post, I have learned so much and I continue to learn. 

THANKS

-George

Edited by Pincushion

Wow! Great job! So glad you shared your impressive progress with us!

Trish1967 likes this

Congrats on your progress! It sounds like you're doing well, both with eating and exercising. I like to hear how you managed on your road trip - that kind of shake up in a routine can really knock you back if you don't learn to manage with a little creativity. Great job :) 

Trish1967 likes this

Congratulations George!

Don't forget to change your profile to reflect your new weight.  You've lost more than I weigh!

Trish1967 and Jen581791 like this

This was a great read! Your progress is amazing and the life you're living because of it! I'm still pre-op and reading peoples 6 month and 1 year progress stories has been super helpful when I find my motivation flagging. Thank you for sharing!

Trish1967 likes this

Thank you for sharing this George!  You are an inspiration, and I'm so glad you decided to not lurk in order to share this. :)  Keep up the amazing work!!

Trish1967 likes this

Congrats on your progress!  Sounds like you really have your head in the right place for this.  The motorcycle trip sounds AWESOME.  I'm still pre-surgery, and I've been thinking about something like this to mark it in my mind - not specifically motorcycle-y, but some kind of big active milestone I could create that would help me prove myself to myself.  

You are so close to your goal now!  You'll be there in no time. :)

Trish1967 likes this

Outstand job and great post! I echo everyone - thank you for posting and keeping all of us under the year mark motivated and educated that there is life to live past the first few months of WLS. You are so right....this is an AMAZING group of people to learn and find inspiration from - and let's not forget incredible support, always doing check-ins, handing out tough love when needed, and offering kudos for even the smallest of victories. Just think - now you are one of the one all of newbie look up to as well! Congratulations - you should be incredibly proud of yourself! Keep up the great work!!!

Trish1967 likes this