Sharksgrl99

When did you truly start seeing weight loss regularly post op?

27 posts in this topic

I continue to lose weight at 4.5 years, never had any regain, but I did have the longest stall ever -- 2 whole years, and I've lost close to 50 pounds since then. Stay with the program and you will see lifelong success. I'm wishing everyone the same kind of results I've had, this is the best thing I've ever done beyond getting married 40 years ago and having four beautiful daughters, one has given me two beautiful grandchildren.

On 9/13/2017 at 1:29 AM, Res Ipsa said:

As usual, I totally agree with BurgundyBoy. 

With respect to the resting heart rate (or "pulse"), before gastric bypass surgery I had a quite rapid heart rate.  When I recently went to the Red Cross to donate blood (yes, you can donate blood after weight loss surgery!), the nurse told me that my pulse rate was very low and was almost too low to donate blood. 

Just want to post this - sometimes people with a slow heart rate (bradycardia) get a pacemaker put it because it can be too slow. However, it may be a normal thing after WLS. This is all a matter of degree, and whether or not you have symptoms.  I could find 3 scientific articles about bradycardia after WLS. The key is that this is usually NORMAL and a GOOD thing and does not require much if any medical workup etc etc. So if your heart rate is slower than usual after WLS but you do not have symptoms, .... be happy. 

(1) A group at U Penn found that 18% (25 of 137) of consecutive people with WLS developed asymptomatic slow heart rate - technically, sinus bradycardia - and it was associated with greater loss of weight, and with heart rate reserve. (Heart rate reserve is the difference between your maximum heart rate (when exercising) and your low heart rate when resting. The bigger the distance between these the more fit you are likely to be). These people were all asymptomatic, e.g. not fainting or falling down or other untoward things. They were fine. The chance of having bradycardia was related to how much weight you had lost and having a good (fit) heart rate reserve... which are both good things. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24462072

(2) This study from Brazil in 2008 reportedly found a decrease in resting heart rate in 21 women that underwent bypass surgery, but I can only see the abstract not the full paper (not willing to spend $32 on this!). It is a small study but nonetheless shows the same trend. Obesity Surgery, November 2008, Volume 18, Issue 11, pp 1376–1380. Effects of Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass on Resting Energy Expenditure in Women.

(3) This is more fun. This is a single person whose bradycardia is discussed by these 3 doctors as an illustrative case. I highlighted the 2 sentences in the abstract that state that this is generally asymptomatic and does not require any treatment or extensive workup.

BMJ Case Rep. 2014 Aug 1;2014:bcr-2014-205359. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2014-205359.
A woman who lost weight at the cost of her heartbeat.

Shah R, Bansal N, Manocha D.

With increasing prevalence of obesity worldwide, the number of patients undergoing bariatric surgery is also rising. Although the incidence of adverse outcomes associated with bariatric surgery has reduced, the physiological compensatory changes occurring after weight loss can lead to some unavoidable outcomes. One such condition is sinus bradycardia. The pathophysiology behind this is well studied but there is little awareness about this outcome. Sinus bradycardia in this clinical setting is generally asymptomatic and does not require any treatment. Extensive cardiac workup and unnecessary treatment can be avoided by increasing awareness among healthcare providers. PMID: 25085951 PMCID: PMC4127746 DOI: 10.1136/bcr-2014-205359

Res Ipsa and Sharksgrl99 like this