AngelStorm

Bariatric doctor and I had a falling out

So, I won't get his referral for the surgery. Where should I go from here? A new bariatric? I know my insurance won't voluntarily pay for "cosmetic" surgery. I don't consider all the skin I'm carrying cosmetic though...

Call your insurance company and see what you need to get it covered. I've heard people need to photograph their excess skin, document the rashes, measure how far the belly skin hangs down, etc. You can probably get a referral from your PCP. I was told it is difficult to get insurance to cover skin removal surgery so I didn't even try to get mine to cover it. 

Good Luck! Hope you are able to get your covered!

Yep. My bariatric doctor moved, my surgery was 3 years ago so I just meet with my regular doctor and Kaiser's bariatric unit to check in every now and again, my doc is the one who put in my referral for my panniculectomy and called me on Monday saying my insurances stipulation to give me the best results for this procedure because that's all they cover is to loose 25 more pounds and in 3 months I have an appointment to take pictures of the pannus, submit all my rash pictures and how far down it hangs and they will cover it. I only have to pay a $200 deductible :) so yes, check with your regular doctor to put in a referral

A doctor that won't do a referral because of a 'falling out' is unprofessional. If they're associated with a hospital system, I'd be calling that hospital's patient experience line and having a long discussion with them. 

The referral does not HAVE to come from a surgeon, however. It can come from your primary care doctor. That may be a good next step.