Jen581791

Ketones in pee: any problems with this?

12 posts in this topic

I had my employer's medical screening yesterday and I notice on the firm that they noted ketones in my urine sample (and made me do another sample to be sure I guess). I get called back to actually get cleared by the doctor in a week or so, and I'm wondering whether this will be an issue. I'm doing low carb (of course) so I'm probably often/usually in ketosis these days, which is what the test is showing.

Can ketones be a sign of anything else? Low carb is *not a thing* in this part of the world (Middle East), so I imagine this is an unusual result. Will it cause a doctor to look twice or ask questions? I'll explain about my surgery, of course, but am just hoping this won't be a big deal. They did a chest x-ray for TB so no way to hide that staple line :lol: 

Am I worrying for nothing? 

Ketones are seen during starvation or more commonly in type I diabetes mellitus.

Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

I personally love ketones in my pee (because they mean I'm burning fat) and do my best to keep them there! I don't think you should worry. I can't imagine it causing you to "fail" the physical. They may run tests for diabetes. Don't worry yet. Congrats on all that fat-burning.

Hi @Jen581791

Of course your doctor will be asking questions. Being in ketosis is not really a very common thing even in the western world. But you can explain your situation and I'm sure it will not be an issue. Obesity is a worldwide occurrence. It is slowly increasing in the middle east and the medical community is  very much aware of the booming industry of WLS and dietary restrictions resulting in ketosis. So I don't think you should worry.

I hope you're all settled in and ready to tackle the challenges of living in a foreign country.

Good luck in the beginning of the new academic year :)

8 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I had my employer's medical screening yesterday and I notice on the firm that they noted ketones in my urine sample (and made me do another sample to be sure I guess). I get called back to actually get cleared by the doctor in a week or so, and I'm wondering whether this will be an issue. I'm doing low carb (of course) so I'm probably often/usually in ketosis these days, which is what the test is showing.

Can ketones be a sign of anything else? Low carb is *not a thing* in this part of the world (Middle East), so I imagine this is an unusual result. Will it cause a doctor to look twice or ask questions? I'll explain about my surgery, of course, but am just hoping this won't be a big deal. They did a chest x-ray for TB so no way to hide that staple line :lol: 

Am I worrying for nothing? 

Probably worrying for nothing. Frequent low-carb dieters, especially readers of Dr. Atkins' book (creator of the Atkins/ original low-carb diet) will note that as stated above, ketones simply indicate that your body is burning its fat reserves for energy, and not carbs. When you start a low carb diet, it takes around 3 days for your body to use up its stored supply of carb energy. At that point, it has to begin consuming fat for its energy needs. I bought some ketones test strips so that I would know for sure when I entered ketosis, and that my body was now burning fat and had used up all of its carb stores.

Like Cinwa said, in any other case, it would normally be a cause for concern. In YOUR case, it means your pouch is working and that you are doing fabulous B)

Posted (edited)

There is no need to worry about ketones in your urine, unless they are very high. In diabetes, too many ketones in your urine mean ketoacidosis...but your blood sugar would have to be pretty high for that to happen. I'm diabetic, and I have ketones in my urine as well. But the amount that shows I'm in ketosis, nothing more. My PCP mentioned it to me the first time she found them because I guess she was a little concerned...until I told her what my pre op diet consisted of. Breathe easy, my friend. 

If the doctors are worried, my guess is that they would test your blood sugar, or run an A1C, to check for diabetes. But like I said, your sugar would have to be pretty high (probably in the 350's to 500's) to be showing ketones due to ketoacidosis. If your sugar was that high, BELIEVE ME, you'd already know it. 

Edited by Trish1967
Jen581791 and BurgundyBoy like this

Thanks, everybody! I was just hoping it wasn't indicative of something sinister that I'd have to undergo further testing for. My blood sugar showed I was apparently slightly hypoglycemic (the nurse asked me if I felt ok - I did, but it had just been a long time since breakfast at that point). 

My follow up exam is in a week and a half - I'm happy I don't have to worry about anything :) 

NerdyLady, Gretta and Trish1967 like this

2 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Thanks, everybody! I was just hoping it wasn't indicative of something sinister that I'd have to undergo further testing for. My blood sugar showed I was apparently slightly hypoglycemic (the nurse asked me if I felt ok - I did, but it had just been a long time since breakfast at that point). 

My follow up exam is in a week and a half - I'm happy I don't have to worry about anything :) 

This is a sign you are keeping yourself in ketosis in a high-protein low-carb diet, so it is good, not bad. Congratulations on maintaining this even after 6 months! ;)

Trish1967, Jen581791 and Gretta like this

I had my final visit with the doctor for hiring purposes (fit for duty, time to sign the contract, yay). I had one more pee test, and was still in ketosis - I'm guessing I'm kind of always in ketosis now... I'm really not trying that hard, but am still eating less than 40 grams of carbohydrates every day, less than 30 usually, and that's apparently enough to keep me in that state. 

The doctor had no problem when I explained the ketones. He asked me how much I'd lost and when I said "about 50 kilos," he looked surprised and said "Wow." 

Edited by Jen581791
words

Good job staying in ketosis and wowing the doctor!

NerdyLady likes this

2 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I had my final visit with the doctor for hiring purposes (fit for duty, time to sign the contract, yay). I had one more pee test, and was still in ketosis - I'm guessing I'm kind of always in ketosis now... I'm really not trying that hard, but am still eating less than 40 grams of carbohydrates every day, less than 30 usually, and that's apparently enough to keep me in that state. 

The doctor had no problem when I explained the ketones. He asked me how much I'd lost and when I said "about 50 kilos," he looked surprised and said "Wow." 

Great job Jen! 

I saw some friends socially this past weekend and the jaws were hitting the floor when I said 80 lbs off.... hee hee hee. 

Jen581791, Res Ipsa and NerdyLady like this

Congrats on the all clear Jen!!

Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this