Chefman77

Having foot surgery/looking for cardio ideas

I'm having foot surgery September 22nd and I'd hate to have zero cardio workouts for 2+ months. I will be in a boot for 6-8 weeks so the treadmill and elliptical will obvious be out. I know I can probably start swimming laps before I'll be able to do the treadmill and elliptical, but I was considering getting a heavy bag prior to my surgery thinking I'd be able to get somewhat of a cardio workout even while in the boot.  I was wondering if anybody had any insight about the heavy bag for a cardio workout or any other ideas? 

No insight into the cardiovascular.....BUT.....having had foot surgery last week I can not recommend strongly enough waiting longer to have the surgery. I gave myself almost 4 months between surgeries and it wasn't enough!!!!  Please remember that your currently going through a period of rapid weightloss and with that comes muscle wastage, and you're no doubt still losing. While it sounds like you may at least still be allowed some weight-bearing (I'm totally non-weightbearing for at least 2 months), it is really hard work lifting your full body weight with every step. My muscles, particularly abdominal muscles are screaming everyday. I definitely understand why orthopaedic surgeons won't perform my surgery when BMI exceeds 30. I certainly could not have managed my mobility needs if I was still carrying the extra 90lbs or so that I was 10 months ago. I'm already at goal with a "normal" BMI and struggling hugely even with very limited moving about.

31 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

No insight into the cardiovascular.....BUT.....having had foot surgery last week I can not recommend strongly enough waiting longer to have the surgery. I gave myself almost 4 months between surgeries and it wasn't enough!!!!  Please remember that your currently going through a period of rapid weightloss and with that comes muscle wastage, and you're no doubt still losing. While it sounds like you may at least still be allowed some weight-bearing (I'm totally non-weightbearing for at least 2 months), it is really hard work lifting your full body weight with every step. My muscles, particularly abdominal muscles are screaming everyday. I definitely understand why orthopaedic surgeons won't perform my surgery when BMI exceeds 30. I certainly could not have managed my mobility needs if I was still carrying the extra 90lbs or so that I was 10 months ago. I'm already at goal with a "normal" BMI and struggling hugely even with very limited moving about.

@Aussie H - Thank you for your input regarding the surgery. I started weight training 4 months before my RNY surgery and started back up again a little over a month ago to include abdominal exercises. I've always been active and fairly athletic, which has played a big part in how few physical side effects I have had with my weight over the last 15 years with my highest weight being 371 about 2 years ago. I may be wrong, but I'm not overly concerned with mobility and getting back into weight training after my surgery. My medical is also covered through the Veterans Administration due to my prior military service and disability. As such, I was referred to a local pediatrist and the authorization I have runs out at the end of September. Going through the process of procuring a new authorization will undoubtedly be long and tedious as are most things through the VA. 

4 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

@Aussie H - Thank you for your input regarding the surgery. I started weight training 4 months before my RNY surgery and started back up again a little over a month ago to include abdominal exercises. I've always been active and fairly athletic, which has played a big part in how few physical side effects I have had with my weight over the last 15 years with my highest weight being 371 about 2 years ago. I may be wrong, but I'm not overly concerned with mobility and getting back into weight training after my surgery. My medical is also covered through the Veterans Administration due to my prior military service and disability. As such, I was referred to a local pediatrist and the authorization I have runs out at the end of September. Going through the process of procuring a new authorization will undoubtedly be long and tedious as are most things through the VA. 

Best of luck then. I hope yours goes far easier than mine is working out to be. I certainly understand the need to get it done while authorised.

Ooh, heavy bag is a great idea! I wonder if you could use the rowing machine in a modified way. @delilas managed to even use a stationary bike while in a boot from an injury.

There are plenty of YouTube's for cardio exercises in a seated position.

Some gyms have a machine that has pedals like on a stationary bike, but for your hands. It doesn't sound like much but it can be really good cardio.

Yup, my doc cleared me to do biking and anything recumbent (my gym has recumbent arc trainers and bikes too) while I had the boot on. He even said I could do elliptical since they are so low impact - as long as my foot didnt hurt. Definitely talk with your surgeon or ortho doc about what they recommend in the end, but recumbent/sitting cardio is always a good option and kept me from getting too off track after breaking my foot. 

Update: I'm 3 1/2 weeks post-op and doing good. The first couple of weeks were rough, but I got the stitches out and have started back weight training and the heavy bag workouts are awesome! I'm still in a boot and started physical therapy. Feels good to be active again and I managed to lose 10 pounds since surgery, so I'm pleased.

24 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

Update: I'm 3 1/2 weeks post-op and doing good. The first couple of weeks were rough, but I got the stitches out and have started back weight training and the heavy bag workouts are awesome! I'm still in a boot and started physical therapy. Feels good to be active again and I managed to lose 10 pounds since surgery, so I'm pleased.

Great to hear the update and glad you are doing ok! You're racking up the good numbers too! 

2 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Great to hear the update and glad you are doing ok! You're racking up the good numbers too! 

Thanks @BurgundyBoy! I always value your input. 

1 minute ago, Chefman77 said:

Thanks @BurgundyBoy! I always value your input. 

Are you able to walk or do other exercise on that leg of yours? (You 80 lbs down guy!)

10 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Are you able to walk or do other exercise on that leg of yours? (You 80 lbs down guy!)

No, I still have rods sticking out of 3 of my toes for another 2 1/2 weeks. It will be a while before I can do other types of cardio. I do weight training and the heavy bag workout is pretty good. Right now I'm doing eight 2 minute rounds and I get my heart rate up pretty good. I may get back in the gym and start swimming laps since I'll probably be able to do that much sooner than I'd be able to walk or do the elliptical.

1 minute ago, Chefman77 said:

No, I still have rods sticking out of 3 of my toes for another 2 1/2 weeks. It will be a while before I can do other types of cardio. I do weight training and the heavy bag workout is pretty good. Right now I'm doing eight 2 minute rounds and I get my heart rate up pretty good. I may get back in the gym and start swimming laps since I'll probably be able to do that much sooner than I'd be able to walk or do the elliptical.

Hmmm. Sounds like the kids may love you what with your being all bionic and whatnot with metal sticking out of the toes. Agree swimming is good especially if weight bearing stuff like walking more limited. (Do you get to keep the metal when you are done? Only seems fair...)

7 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Hmmm. Sounds like the kids may love you what with your being all bionic and whatnot with metal sticking out of the toes. Agree swimming is good especially if weight bearing stuff like walking more limited. (Do you get to keep the metal when you are done? Only seems fair...)

Ha, I hadn't thought of that! I'm sure they'll let me keep them if I insist, lol. I did think about wolverine though. Maybe a good costume idea for a Halloween Party!

I'm glad you're seeing success even while your mobility is limited, @Chefman77. I bet you're looking forward to getting that thing off! :) 

So glad you're healing well and still managing to get exercise in. Great work!

On 17/10/2017 at 9:23 PM, Chefman77 said:

Sounds like your surgeon is much more lenient than mine, although of course our surgeries were also different. Surgery was 9 weeks ago for me. First 8 were in a cast. Now in a boot fulltime for 4 weeks, then another 4 weeks weaning out of it. No exercise allowed at all until I hit the 4 month mark. Even then it's very limited @ 15 minutes daily of either swimming or exercise bike.