Chefman77

Having foot surgery/looking for cardio ideas

8 posts in this topic

I'm having foot surgery September 22nd and I'd hate to have zero cardio workouts for 2+ months. I will be in a boot for 6-8 weeks so the treadmill and elliptical will obvious be out. I know I can probably start swimming laps before I'll be able to do the treadmill and elliptical, but I was considering getting a heavy bag prior to my surgery thinking I'd be able to get somewhat of a cardio workout even while in the boot.  I was wondering if anybody had any insight about the heavy bag for a cardio workout or any other ideas? 

No insight into the cardiovascular.....BUT.....having had foot surgery last week I can not recommend strongly enough waiting longer to have the surgery. I gave myself almost 4 months between surgeries and it wasn't enough!!!!  Please remember that your currently going through a period of rapid weightloss and with that comes muscle wastage, and you're no doubt still losing. While it sounds like you may at least still be allowed some weight-bearing (I'm totally non-weightbearing for at least 2 months), it is really hard work lifting your full body weight with every step. My muscles, particularly abdominal muscles are screaming everyday. I definitely understand why orthopaedic surgeons won't perform my surgery when BMI exceeds 30. I certainly could not have managed my mobility needs if I was still carrying the extra 90lbs or so that I was 10 months ago. I'm already at goal with a "normal" BMI and struggling hugely even with very limited moving about.

Jen581791 likes this

31 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

No insight into the cardiovascular.....BUT.....having had foot surgery last week I can not recommend strongly enough waiting longer to have the surgery. I gave myself almost 4 months between surgeries and it wasn't enough!!!!  Please remember that your currently going through a period of rapid weightloss and with that comes muscle wastage, and you're no doubt still losing. While it sounds like you may at least still be allowed some weight-bearing (I'm totally non-weightbearing for at least 2 months), it is really hard work lifting your full body weight with every step. My muscles, particularly abdominal muscles are screaming everyday. I definitely understand why orthopaedic surgeons won't perform my surgery when BMI exceeds 30. I certainly could not have managed my mobility needs if I was still carrying the extra 90lbs or so that I was 10 months ago. I'm already at goal with a "normal" BMI and struggling hugely even with very limited moving about.

@Aussie H - Thank you for your input regarding the surgery. I started weight training 4 months before my RNY surgery and started back up again a little over a month ago to include abdominal exercises. I've always been active and fairly athletic, which has played a big part in how few physical side effects I have had with my weight over the last 15 years with my highest weight being 371 about 2 years ago. I may be wrong, but I'm not overly concerned with mobility and getting back into weight training after my surgery. My medical is also covered through the Veterans Administration due to my prior military service and disability. As such, I was referred to a local pediatrist and the authorization I have runs out at the end of September. Going through the process of procuring a new authorization will undoubtedly be long and tedious as are most things through the VA. 

4 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

@Aussie H - Thank you for your input regarding the surgery. I started weight training 4 months before my RNY surgery and started back up again a little over a month ago to include abdominal exercises. I've always been active and fairly athletic, which has played a big part in how few physical side effects I have had with my weight over the last 15 years with my highest weight being 371 about 2 years ago. I may be wrong, but I'm not overly concerned with mobility and getting back into weight training after my surgery. My medical is also covered through the Veterans Administration due to my prior military service and disability. As such, I was referred to a local pediatrist and the authorization I have runs out at the end of September. Going through the process of procuring a new authorization will undoubtedly be long and tedious as are most things through the VA. 

Best of luck then. I hope yours goes far easier than mine is working out to be. I certainly understand the need to get it done while authorised.

Ooh, heavy bag is a great idea! I wonder if you could use the rowing machine in a modified way. @delilas managed to even use a stationary bike while in a boot from an injury.

delilas and Chefman77 like this

There are plenty of YouTube's for cardio exercises in a seated position.

Chefman77 likes this

Some gyms have a machine that has pedals like on a stationary bike, but for your hands. It doesn't sound like much but it can be really good cardio.

Chefman77 and Jen581791 like this

Yup, my doc cleared me to do biking and anything recumbent (my gym has recumbent arc trainers and bikes too) while I had the boot on. He even said I could do elliptical since they are so low impact - as long as my foot didnt hurt. Definitely talk with your surgeon or ortho doc about what they recommend in the end, but recumbent/sitting cardio is always a good option and kept me from getting too off track after breaking my foot. 

Chefman77, Jen581791 and Gretta like this