Skinnykat

Happy camper @ 6 months

14 posts in this topic

Hallo,

I had a VSG 6 months ago and am very happy so far, with a few issues along the way.

I had the surgery in Mexico and so wanted to join for information, accountability and support. It seems people on forums do better than average on weight loss and maintenance :).

I have been lurking for a while.

happy losses everyone!

Welcome! Glad you came out of the shadows ;).

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome!  Thanks @Skinnykat for stepping out from lurking status.  You are right that accountability is key and that only comes when you finally break down and post.  From there on it is smooth sailing and you'll get as much help as you want or need from the amazing people here!

Trish1967 and Gretta like this

13 hours ago, Skinnykat said:

Hallo,

I had a VSG 6 months ago and am very happy so far, with a few issues along the way.

I had the surgery in Mexico and so wanted to join for information, accountability and support. It seems people on forums do better than average on weight loss and maintenance :).

I have been lurking for a while.

happy losses everyone!

... and in addition to all the Welcomes, a congratulation too on being at/below goal. Soon I'll be at 6 months too and increasingly think about how to maintain and keep up the healthy lifestyle. 

Trish1967 and NerdyLady like this

Welcome, @Skinnykat! I'm 6.5 months out, also with surgery in Mexico. I've found this forum to be not just helpful, but essential. I hope you do, too :) 

NerdyLady, Karimeaway and Trish1967 like this

@Skinnykat Tomorrow, I will be five months out from RNY surgery. I also had my surgery in Mexico and am delighted with the impact it has made on my life. Happy to "meet" you. :)

Karimeaway and Trish1967 like this

@Skinnykat Side note, I had Dr. Ortiz narrowed down to my top three surgeons. Ultimately, I decided to go with someone else. How was your experience with Dr. Ortiz? He seems very charming. :)  

Trish1967 likes this

I am not sure that charming is always necessary in a surgeon :), but yes he is a pleasant guy. I wanted a surgeon where they were following good practices, had good reviews, seemed to have systems in place, were thinking about the surgery and trying to optimize results: OCC ticked all the boxes. In my calculations there was no obvious "top surgeon and the rest nowhere" but several who all seemed very adequate and a bit more expensive, and then some more who seemed more cut price and cut corners. 

My experience was pretty good. Everything was well run. I am from a medical field and I could see where things were not to the same quality or cost as they would be in the UK but they were very adequate, given I was a low risk patient. The team included nutritionist, anesthesiologist, and surgeons: all very competent and professional. 

Trish1967 likes this

Welcome, skinnykat!! This forum is a GREAT place for support, and a wealth of knowledge from newbies and veterans alike. You'll love it here! :) 

20 minutes ago, Skinnykat said:

I am not sure that charming is always necessary in a surgeon :), but yes he is a pleasant guy. I wanted a surgeon where they were following good practices, had good reviews, seemed to have systems in place, were thinking about the surgery and trying to optimize results: OCC ticked all the boxes. In my calculations there was no obvious "top surgeon and the rest nowhere" but several who all seemed very adequate and a bit more expensive, and then some more who seemed more cut price and cut corners. 

My experience was pretty good. Everything was well run. I am from a medical field and I could see where things were not to the same quality or cost as they would be in the UK but they were very adequate, given I was a low risk patient. The team included nutritionist, anesthesiologist, and surgeons: all very competent and professional. 

My charming comment was tongue in check. My husband and I watched several of his videos and smiled at his demeanor. Dr. Ortiz has an excellent reputation and his CV is impressive. Ultimately, I chose another hospital but I have nothing but the utmost respect for Dr. Ortiz. 

I'm glad you had a positive experience in Mexico and that you are doing well with your sleeve. Again, welcome to the forum!

Edited by NerdyLady

yes, I was also joking/tongue in cheek.  There are lots of jokes in the medical field about surgeons not being renowned for their affable personalities. Happy to hear that you also had a good experience. I think people are sometimes "put-off" by the idea of surgery in Mexico, and although it may not be for everyone and not every surgeon is the same, it is certainly possible to have very good experiences. Having options is always good!

NerdyLady likes this

Wow, i can't imagine you girls went to MX to get your surgery....how brave, i love Mx for vacation but not for surgery.  I am glad you researched it and make informed decision.  Why is it you went out of the country, because your insurance doesn't pay for it and it is cheaper there?  I never realized people did that....it makes me appreciate my insurance more.  So glad you found good places and good docs to do it!

You can have bad surgery in US and great surgery in MX... noting lots of people who post here have had surgery all over the globe.

Am thankful every day I have good insurance!

Medical tourism is big industry in some countries. In the US, Mexico is a favoured destination....in Australia, Thailand tends to be the destination of choice. If I ever decide to have plastics I'd certainly be looking into the international hospitals in Thailand due to cost.