Jen581791

Hi from Oman!

30 posts in this topic

Just a quick note to say I've arrived safely in Muscat and have gotten started setting up life here :) The jet lag is awful and I'm not looking forward to having to meet new colleagues under the influence of it, but I suppose I'll manage. I swear it never gets easier. Or maybe I'm a wimp.

A big NSV: the flights (about 19 hours of plane time) were way more comfortable than the last time I flew to this part of the world - space was just not much of an issue! So nice. 

The airline food was a disgusting carb-fest, so I survived on bars and almonds for two days. Not ideal, but not the end of the world. I realized that airline meals are all about relieving the tedium of the flight - a ritual for killing time. I shotgunned a whole season of Veep instead. Coping mechanisms...

The new digs are OK - very large but not very nice (work-provided furnished places rarely are, in my experience), but I'll work on making it home. There are a couple of gyms nearby, so I'll investigate those soon.

So far, Oman seems similar to, but not the same as, Dubai. I went grocery shopping at the same brand store yesterday and found all the same products as I'm used to - very comforting. I'm sure the differences will start popping up soon.

I get a car today and go in to work tomorrow, so things are rolling along!

I am so powerfully thankful that I get to start this new experience at a weight I feel more comfortable with - I feel so much more confident and less self-conscious meeting new people. What an incredible victory. Thanks to everyone here for being so supportive. I've been dying to get Internet so I could check in :) 

I'm so happy you arrived safely! I hope you like all your coworkers and students. So cool how comfortable you feel in your skin. Such a great payoff for all that hard work. Awesome.

Trish1967 and Jen581791 like this

Thanks, @Gretta. Yes, such a confidence booster. 

Gretta, NerdyLady and Trish1967 like this

You new life really is beginning now Jen. Enjoy the spoils of your efforts!!!!

Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

1 hour ago, Aussie H said:

You new life really is beginning now Jen. Enjoy the spoils of your efforts!!!!

Thanks, @Aussie H

I really hope your foot heals quickly! Take it easy :) 

Trish1967 likes this

I'm so happy for you, Jen! Enjoy the next leg of your journey, and welcome the new self confidence you've more than earned through all of your hard work!! I hope it's a great adventure for you! :) 

Jen581791 likes this

5 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I feel so much more confident and less self-conscious meeting new people.

You are so right Jen - an incredible non-scale victory! Congrats on making it through the terrible flights, food and jet lag. Best of luck meeting your new colleagues and students. They are lucky to have you!

Yah!!! You made it safe and sound! Sounds like you are hitting the pavement running. What an exciting adventure and I can only imagine how much easier in every way this move across the world was with all of that weight gone! Best of luck on your new adventure. How long do you plan to be there? 

Glad you made it safely:). Get some rest!  

And congrats on making the 100# mark!:D

Great to hear that you arrived safely and have been checking out the lay of the land.

Enjoy Oman!  I just found some photos of Oman on line and it looks like a quite beautiful nation (see below along with a map for those of us (like me) that have never been there).  It certainly will have much less rain than your previous residence in Oregon!!

oman-17.jpg

oman.jpg

oman-MMAP-md.png

13 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Just a quick note to say I've arrived safely in Muscat and have gotten started setting up life here :) The jet lag is awful and I'm not looking forward to having to meet new colleagues under the influence of it, but I suppose I'll manage. I swear it never gets easier. Or maybe I'm a wimp.

I am so powerfully thankful that I get to start this new experience at a weight I feel more comfortable with - I feel so much more confident and less self-conscious meeting new people. What an incredible victory. Thanks to everyone here for being so supportive. I've been dying to get Internet so I could check in :) 

Jen, good to hear from you! and an extra congratulations on the > 100 lbs down milestone. Glad to hear the flight was not so bad, not surprised to hear the food was just carbos on the flight. (Gee, what can we serve that is cheap and eaten by most people...). Less than 40 lbs to go to goal, and a BMI in the 28s! Lots of things to be excited about and celebratory.

Be well, get over your jet lag, and keep posting! 

19 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

A big NSV: the flights (about 19 hours of plane time) were way more comfortable than the last time I flew to this part of the world - space was just not much of an issue! So nice. 

The airline food was a disgusting carb-fest, so I survived on bars and almonds for two days. Not ideal, but not the end of the world. I realized that airline meals are all about relieving the tedium of the flight - a ritual for killing time. I shotgunned a whole season of Veep instead. Coping mechanisms...

The new digs are OK - very large but not very nice (work-provided furnished places rarely are, in my experience), but I'll work on making it home. There are a couple of gyms nearby, so I'll investigate those soon.

So far, Oman seems similar to, but not the same as, Dubai. I went grocery shopping at the same brand store yesterday and found all the same products as I'm used to - very comforting. I'm sure the differences will start popping up soon.

I get a car today and go in to work tomorrow, so things are rolling along!

Hooray! I'm selfishly happy to see you back online. I hope work is going well and that you get over your jet lag asap!

Res Ipsa, Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

@Jen581791 WAIT! WHAT?! You've reached the 100lb mark? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*tamponfetti cannon*

I'm thrilled for you! 

14 hours ago, Trish13 said:

Yah!!! You made it safe and sound! Sounds like you are hitting the pavement running. What an exciting adventure and I can only imagine how much easier in every way this move across the world was with all of that weight gone! Best of luck on your new adventure. How long do you plan to be there? 

I'm here for at least 3 years (that's my contract). That said, I went to Dubai with that idea and stayed for 9, so who knows? :) 

7 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Enjoy Oman!  I just found some photos of Oman on line and it looks like a quite beautiful nation (see below along with a map for those of us (like me) that have never been there).  It certainly will have much less rain than your previous residence in Oregon!!

oman-17.jpg

oman.jpg

oman-MMAP-md.png

Thanks for the photos and map, @Res Ipsa - I got a lot of blank stares when I've told people "Oman" before leaving. That was true of Dubai before I went, too, but their tourism PR team cleared that up pretty fast! Maybe Oman will experience a tourism boom, too... It's certainly a prettier place than Dubai, but not so glitzy. Which is fine by me :) 

Such exciting times for you Jen!!!  I look forward to seeing pictures of Oman.  Congratz also on 100#!!!  Please check in with us - your posts have always been a joy to read. :) 

7 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

oman-17.jpg

oman.jpg

oman-MMAP-md.png

That is absolutely breathtaking! What a beautiful place to call home, Jen!

Jen581791, NerdyLady and Res Ipsa like this

@Cheesehead @BurgundyBoy @NerdyLady - yup, I passed the 100 pounds mark just before leaving. Now to find a scale here... yes, I've been not weighing myself for almost a week, not by choice <_< 

I found a GNC store here and they have bars and protein powder -woo! Ok, only one flavor of Quest, but they said they could order stuff for me. 

Just now, Jen581791 said:

@Cheesehead @BurgundyBoy @NerdyLady - yup, I passed the 100 pounds mark just before leaving. Now to find a scale here... yes, I've been not weighing myself for almost a week, not by choice <_< 

I found a GNC store here and they have bars and protein powder -woo! Ok, only one flavor of Quest, but they said they could order stuff for me. 

100 pounds!!! Go Jen, Go Jen!!! That's totally amazing!! 

Jen581791 and NerdyLady like this

11 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I'm a bit embarrassed because I'm sure you told me/us about the 100 lb Mark. My brain is Swiss cheese nowadays. 

Huzzah for finding a GNC!! I'm glad that you'll have tools to remain successful. 

Frankly, I'm surprised you didn't put a scale in your carry on bag. I bought a scale and weighed myself before leaving for the hospital and it came back to Boston with me. Obsessed a bit? 

:wub:

Jen581791 likes this

Hooray for 100+ pounds lost. What a milestone! Wow wow wow! 

Hooray for GNC! Yeah!

Jen581791 likes this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I'm a bit embarrassed because I'm sure you told me/us about the 100 lb Mark. My brain is Swiss cheese nowadays. 

Huzzah for finding a GNC!! I'm glad that you'll have tools to remain successful. 

Frankly, I'm surprised you didn't put a scale in your carry on bag. I bought a scale and weighed myself before leaving for the hospital and it came back to Boston with me. Obsessed a bit? 

:wub:

We had maxed out our luggage allowance plus three extra pieces. It was literally all we could fit in the car on the way to the airport :lol: In retrospect, surely the scale was more important than some of my husband's things... ;) 

Obssessed, nah, just goal-oriented. Labels are important.

I hadn't really announced the -100, btw, so you're off the hook. 

Edited by Jen581791

9 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

... I hadn't really announced the -100, btw, so you're off the hook. 

I think it was @Cheesehead who first noticed your Laudable Loss - helps to read those figures to the left side or below the posting. Hard to compress all of one's things into just 5 bags, even if you believe life is lived for the experiences, not the things. 

Good luck with your first day at work tomorrow! 

Welcome again to the middle east @Jen581791

I'm glad you landed safely and got settled. I wish you all the best on this new journey. I really don't know much about Oman, but I  know  it's  a peaceful country unlike some other areas of the ME. I'm sure it's very different from life in the USA, but you're a veteran and used to getting familiar with different cultures.

Congratulations on the 100 pounds lost. Amazing achievement!!!

Since you're more or less in the area, if you ever to come to lebanon, make sure to let me know. I'll be so happy  to meet you in person:)

Trish1967, Jen581791 and Trish13 like this