Mrs.NA

Hello everyone

33 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me how long it takes before feeling remotely normal? I'm finding since starting purée it's extremely difficult to eat or drink anything. Also having pain and difficulty walking any distance at all. I want so badly to be able to walk for an hour and lift my daughter. Please tell me this uselessness will be over soon :'(

Mrs.NA, Relax.It will get a lot better soon.  It really will.  The first few weeks after the surgery can be rough, but the results of the surgery are totally worth it.

We are here to support you. :)

First, color me jealous - I can't start soft textures until Monday!

You'll get to normal - it's just going to take some time.  I'm handling the wait by tracking everything obsessively, and by looking at recipes for my next stage, planning healthy suitable meals.  I'm also exercising a little more every day, which helps a TON with my mood - which varies between anticipation and frustration.  

Yesterday, I drove myself to a movie.  Getting out in the world helped me get a sense of normalcy back.  Is there anything you liked to do before surgery that you could do now, to give yourself that kind of hit?  It might help just to get out into the world and see something different for a change.  

I hope things get better for you soon!

Res Ipsa and Gretta like this

Not the cheeriest answer, but an honest one: It took 10 weeks for me to adjust to my new life and feel like myself. My energy level is what took the longest to bounce back.

Jen581791 likes this

11 hours ago, Kio said:

First, color me jealous - I can't start soft textures until Monday!

You'll get to normal - it's just going to take some time.  I'm handling the wait by tracking everything obsessively, and by looking at recipes for my next stage, planning healthy suitable meals.  I'm also exercising a little more every day, which helps a TON with my mood - which varies between anticipation and frustration.  

Yesterday, I drove myself to a movie.  Getting out in the world helped me get a sense of normalcy back.  Is there anything you liked to do before surgery that you could do now, to give yourself that kind of hit?  It might help just to get out into the world and see something different for a change.  

I hope things get better for you soon!

I think not being able to drive yet is a big part of why I'm feeling so down. I can walk around my subdivision easily enough, but to stray any further there are hills in every direction that are just a bit too much for me. I tried it yesterday and have been suffering with a pain in my left side since :/ 

Purée doesn't have much texture to it, but maybe you'll be allowed more than what I'm currently having. 

I'll try my best to get out soon. Being stuck in this house is making me absolutely crazy. I want to exercise so badly, like I said I can't get past those stupid hills. 

17 minutes ago, Mrs.NA said:

I think not being able to drive yet is a big part of why I'm feeling so down. I can walk around my subdivision easily enough, but to stray any further there are hills in every direction that are just a bit too much for me. I tried it yesterday and have been suffering with a pain in my left side since :/ 

Purée doesn't have much texture to it, but maybe you'll be allowed more than what I'm currently having. 

I'll try my best to get out soon. Being stuck in this house is making me absolutely crazy. I want to exercise so badly, like I said I can't get past those stupid hills. 

Your walking in the neighborhood will help you to walk or exercise more. It will build to where you want to be, trust me! And if your side hurt after a hill, walk on the level around and around and around and in a couple of days try going up the hill just a little bit. Break these things down into bits and pieces you can work on and plan for. 

Um, why can't you drive? 

Jen581791 likes this

3 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Your walking in the neighborhood will help you to walk or exercise more. It will build to where you want to be, trust me! And if your side hurt after a hill, walk on the level around and around and around and in a couple of days try going up the hill just a little bit. Break these things down into bits and pieces you can work on and plan for. 

Um, why can't you drive? 

I'll keep trying. For the driving the said I had to be able to walk long distances outside and no longer taking the narcotic... neither of which I meet :/

2 hours ago, Mrs.NA said:

I'll keep trying. For the driving the said I had to be able to walk long distances outside and no longer taking the narcotic... neither of which I meet :/

Well having narcotized drivers does seem a poor idea. <_<  Sorry you are still having sufficient pain to keep taking narcs. Are you banned from taking non-steroidals like naprosyn or ibuprofen? I was surprised by how well naprosyn+acetominophen (tylenol) worked for me. Pain is a very individual thing and does sap one. Perhaps if you took something that helped with inflammation like a non-steroidal before your walks you might get a bit further? Am sure you have thought of this. If you weren't walking much before surgery this is a bigger hurdle. Can only say we are here to hear you complain, despair, rant or moan about things, and that pushing your envelope every day will get you out of the house/neighborhood soon enough...