Mrs.NA

Hello everyone

33 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I have been reading a lot, and have already received some much needed support regarding my nerves, but I realized I should probably introduce myself. My name is Natasha (NA are my initials not a not applicable ;))

I am 32 and current weight 252lb. I have gained 7 lb since being given a surgery date and am absolutely mortified. My biggest issue with food it that I really want to eat until I'm full - the problem being that eating until full is a complete binge where I eat enough food for 3 adults instead of one (and even still may not have satisfied my hunger).

My surgery is scheduled for September 8th and I am extremely excited. I haven't had to jump through all of the pre-op hoops that most of you have as I am going to a private clinic and paying out of pocket for the surgery. 

The biggest worries that I have are that I won't lose the weight/won't keep it off. That my skin will be disgusting (especially my arms) and that my marriage is not strong enough for such a big change. Obviously these are not necessarily in order of importance.

I guess that's it for now... I'm not super comfortable talking about myself and the word "I" has been used far too often for me. 

Thanks for listening everyone. Looking forward to learning and growing (and by growing I mean shrinking) with all of you <3

NerdyLady and BurgundyBoy like this

Posted (edited)

Welcome Natasha! I completely understand the idea of eating until full. That's exactly what I would do pre-surgery. The good news is that the amount of food to get me full now would probably not even feed a toddler much less three adults! If you work the plan, you will succeed. The fact that you are already here, posting and interacting rather than not educating yourself or just lurking, shows you are preparing yourself for success.

I'm already seeing some extra skin on my inner thighs and upper arms but everyone's shrinking body reacts differently. I prepared myself for this, have begun working with a trainer to tone as I go and plan to get plastics. MORE importantly, consider this: with all of the health benefits, the increased life expectancy, the doors of possibility that will open to you with the weight loss, what's a little arm flab between friends?

Edited by CurvyMermaid
Raddy, Mrs.NA, BurgundyBoy and 1 other like this

14 hours ago, Mrs.NA said:

Hello everyone. I have been reading a lot, and have already received some much needed support regarding my nerves, but I realized I should probably introduce myself. My name is Natasha (NA are my initials not a not applicable ;))

I am 32 and current weight 252lb. I have gained 7 lb since being given a surgery date and am absolutely mortified. My biggest issue with food it that I really want to eat until I'm full - the problem being that eating until full is a complete binge where I eat enough food for 3 adults instead of one (and even still may not have satisfied my hunger).

My surgery is scheduled for September 8th and I am extremely excited. I haven't had to jump through all of the pre-op hoops that most of you have as I am going to a private clinic and paying out of pocket for the surgery. 

The biggest worries that I have are that I won't lose the weight/won't keep it off. That my skin will be disgusting (especially my arms) and that my marriage is not strong enough for such a big change. Obviously these are not necessarily in order of importance.

I guess that's it for now... I'm not super comfortable talking about myself and the word "I" has been used far too often for me. 

Thanks for listening everyone. Looking forward to learning and growing (and by growing I mean shrinking) with all of you <3

@Gretta is spot on. You have stepped up to the plate by joining a site and being able to voice your anxieties. You'll lose weight. It is almost impossible not to. 

You mention that because you are private pay you have fewer hoops to jump through.

So to that point - If you are not already seeing a psychologist, suggest you do see one - you will CERTAINLY lose weight and not be able to eat very much - but you may want to better understand the emotional drivers of your eating. By this I mean that in the future, you won't want a repetition of some emotional circumstances to lead to a sabotaging of your loss. If you eat every time you get anxious ... then figure it out, deal with the anxiety, but don't return to eating! End that behavior. Another person posting here ( @OlgaC) used to eat every time her mother got on her case. Now she doesn't. Her mother still gets on her case, most likely it still drives her nuts... but she doesn't go eat pizza afterwards. Surgery changes your stomach size, it doesn't change your emotional and psychological history or pattern of responses. The surgery will give you this wonderful, totally amazing opportunity to change your relationship to food, and if you capitalize on it you will really, really do well. 

WLS either improves marriages a lot, or they fracture because their partner can't handle the enhanced self-confidence of the person having WLS. Most people here would agree that being slender makes them more attractive to their partner, more active, and that their sex lives improve. That is despite any excess skin.

Just wrote a long post on things to consider having in place for surgery, and rather than being repetitious take a look at the Calendar for September 12... might be useful as you think through all of this...

Mrs.NA, NerdyLady and TammyP like this

Welcome and congrats on making the decision to live a healthier life! 

It's going to be very important to re-learn what "hunger" really is.  Most of us eat because our head tells us to, not our bodies.  So, use the honeymoon period to really get in touch with what is physical hunger (which may feel different than it ever has before, especially in the early weeks and months) and what is head hunger. 

Work on developing new coping skills for stress, because life will still be stressful and if we don't develop non-food ways of coping we will ultimately not be successful.  Use your honeymoon period to make some new great healthy habits because when it ends you will likely be faced with some of the same challenges you have now.

Most of all, enjoy the fabulous new life you will have as a healthy person!!!

Mrs.NA, BurgundyBoy and cinwa like this

15 hours ago, Mrs.NA said:

... And, just so you don't feel bad, 3 months before my surgery I also gained about 10 pounds over the end-of-the-year holidays (reaching my known peak weight). I started to model the behaviors suggested for after my surgery and I lost the added pounds by the time of surgery. 

To my way of thinking, about 90% of successful WLS is in your head.

I think these statements are true: You WILL lose weight after the surgery. You WILL NOT be able to eat very much. You WILL NOT have much physiological hunger and MAY have a little or a lot of hedonic (in your head, not physiological, fake) hunger. 

Mrs.NA likes this

I can't add much to what has already been written Natasha but welcome to Thinner Times.

Mrs.NA likes this

Thank you so much everyone. I was really worried that I would have trouble finding the support I need, but I'm already feeling like this place is exactly where I need to be. Surgery is in 2 weeks and I cannot wait to live my new life!

Gretta, NerdyLady and CurvyMermaid like this

I wouldn't be where I am without Thinner Times.  It has been my place of support but like most things, the more you put in, the more you get out.

BurgundyBoy likes this

Welcome!  If you follow your plan you will lose weight.  You will get out of surgery what you put into it.  

I will admit to having a food funeral the weekend before surgery.  Funny thing is, I haven't eaten those foods again.  I had to look at my surgery as a second chance to get things right.  

You are young and your skin should have more elasticity than if it were older.  It also depends on genetics..I'd rather have wrinkles and extra skin than have health problems and be obese.  I have arm wrinkles but still wear tank tops for a couple times in the summer.  My thighs have verticle wrinkles and I wear burmuda shorts (plus side of that is I just bought several pairs of size 2 and 4 for $6 on clearance).  Something that keeps me at goal is I love to buy normal sized clothes for $5:). 

I was scared to tell my hubby I was considering surgery but he has been my biggest supporter.  He's been behind me 100 per cent of the way..

Aussie H, ladi, BurgundyBoy and 1 other like this

On 8/24/2017 at 6:51 PM, Mrs.NA said:

Hey Natasha!! How did everything go??? 

Hello,

Just joined today!  I am 14 months out from surgery.  Came here because I was having an issue and thought I would google to see if anyone else was having the issue!!  What a great site and thanks for letting me join.  I so need people who understand what I am going thru to ask!  Thank you again!! ;)

W

2 minutes ago, ladi said:

Hello,

Just joined today!  I am 14 months out from surgery.  Came here because I was having an issue and thought I would google to see if anyone else was having the issue!!  What a great site and thanks for letting me join.  I so need people who understand what I am going thru to ask!  Thank you again!! ;)

Welcome ladi.

Can you tell us a little more about what you're going through?

Oh so sorry. Yesterday I started having stomach pain at first like you are hungry or gas pains. But I took gasx and burped but it didn't relieve the pain, all night and this morning too. When I try to drink something it hurts, even milk.   I had been without my Pantoprazole for about 2 weeks and I did have an ulcer. But when I was scooped back in Feb. I did not have an ulcer anymore.  So I'm not sure what it could be.  I did get my Pantoprazole filled so maybe that will help.  Thanks so much! 

2 hours ago, OlgaC said:

Hey Natasha!! How did everything go??? 

Hi. Things went really well! I spent the night at the clinic Friday, went to the hotel Saturday with a nurse and I just flew back home. Currently sitting in the airport waiting for my husband to bring the car around to drive home. Can't wait to see my kids! A little worried because I'm still having lots of pain (and I'm hungry) but hoping that walking and sipping will eventually pay off :)

Aussie H, BurgundyBoy and OlgaC like this

2 hours ago, Mrs.NA said:

Hi. Things went really well! I spent the night at the clinic Friday, went to the hotel Saturday with a nurse and I just flew back home. Currently sitting in the airport waiting for my husband to bring the car around to drive home. Can't wait to see my kids! A little worried because I'm still having lots of pain (and I'm hungry) but hoping that walking and sipping will eventually pay off :)

Don't worry too much about the pain for now Natasha. I had to use narcotic pain relief for at least two weeks, and there were no issues with my surgery. Pain levels are really so individual. If it goes on longer than a couple of weeks, or you have difficulty keeping things down that are on your postop plan, then I would definitely raise that with your surgeon.

5 hours ago, ladi said:

Oh so sorry. Yesterday I started having stomach pain at first like you are hungry or gas pains. But I took gasx and burped but it didn't relieve the pain, all night and this morning too. When I try to drink something it hurts, even milk.   I had been without my Pantoprazole for about 2 weeks and I did have an ulcer. But when I was scooped back in Feb. I did not have an ulcer anymore.  So I'm not sure what it could be.  I did get my Pantoprazole filled so maybe that will help.  Thanks so much! 

Things like that are always worth running by your PCP or surgeon if you still have access to him.

Thanks, I do still have access to my surgeon.  Will see what he says!  Thanks! 

59 minutes ago, ladi said:

Thanks, I do still have access to my surgeon.  Will see what he says!  Thanks! 

Let us know how you get on ladi.

21 hours ago, Mrs.NA said:

Easy does it. Sip sip sip and walk walk walk. Some pain is normal and it should ease up with your pain meds and time. Keep us up to date!

Okay. So day 4 today. I am home and ridiculously hungry. I can intake more fluids in an hour than they want but I'm trying not to because I don't want to stretch my stomach, but even adding protein I'm really hungry... is this normal this early?

Totally normal. I started feeling so hungry the night after surgery and it continued a few days. I would be up through the night to drink something. I had surgery on a Friday and by that next Thursday the hunger got better, I also used gaviscon and felt like it dulled out what was feeling like hunger pains. I'm not at week 3 - and not dealing with those stupid hunger feel like your starving pains. IT GETS BETTER!

2 hours ago, Mrs.NA said:

Okay. So day 4 today. I am home and ridiculously hungry. I can intake more fluids in an hour than they want but I'm trying not to because I don't want to stretch my stomach, but even adding protein I'm really hungry... is this normal this early?

Totally normal. Don't worry about stretching your stomach with fluids. Your new stomach acts more like a funnel for fluids. They run right through rather than sitting in there and stretching anything. Try antacids for the hungry feeling. Nothing you're taking in sits in your stomach ling enough to make you feel full. This stage is no fun.

10 hours ago, Gretta said:

Totally normal. Don't worry about stretching your stomach with fluids. Your new stomach acts more like a funnel for fluids. They run right through rather than sitting in there and stretching anything. Try antacids for the hungry feeling. Nothing you're taking in sits in your stomach ling enough to make you feel full. This stage is no fun.

Good to know, Gretta - this stretching thing is something I've worried about too.  I find I get a little full on fluids, then after a couple of seconds I can feel liquid draining out of the pouch.  I think I may be swallowing too much air, actually, and it may be the air that's giving me that full feeling.  Burping generally resolves it.

Natasha, I'll trade you my sore throat for your hunger if you want!  I I don't have hunger, but I do feel like I was intubated with a sharpened fork.

Gretta likes this

Natasha, from what  I hear, the younger you are, the more your skin bounces back...not totally tight of course, that is all genetics but a younger person has more of what it takes to bounce back than an oldie like me.  I know I will have excess skin, but I would rather have that with excess years on my life then to "fill up my skin" and die early!  

2 hours ago, Kio said:

Good to know, Gretta - this stretching thing is something I've worried about too.  I find I get a little full on fluids, then after a couple of seconds I can feel liquid draining out of the pouch.  I think I may be swallowing too much air, actually, and it may be the air that's giving me that full feeling.  Burping generally resolves it.

Natasha, I'll trade you my sore throat for your hunger if you want!  I I don't have hunger, but I do feel like I was intubated with a sharpened fork.

Oh yes the sore throat! Mine was pretty bad but it only lasted for a couple of days.