Dragonfly111

No Pre-Op Diet

16 posts in this topic

I'm 2.5 weeks from my surgery.  Unlike (it seems) most people on this forum, I don't have a pre-op diet requirement.  My only requirement was that I lose 10 pounds, and I've lost 14.  

Is there anyone else out there who didn't have to do a pre-op diet?  

I didn't have to either. Similar starting BMI to yours.

1 minute ago, Dragonfly111 said:

I'm 2.5 weeks from my surgery.  Unlike (it seems) most people on this forum, I don't have a pre-op diet requirement.  My only requirement was that I lose 10 pounds, and I've lost 14.  

Hi @Dragonfly111

I had to model the all liquid diet for a weekend as I recall, just so I would know what to have in the house, etc.... not really a strict pre-op diet.

Having said that, maybe I was on a diet, but didn't realize it (I can be totally clueless). I was asked to track my calories / protein / carbos and fluids for a number of weeks before surgery, and although I wasn't required to lose weight - I lost 11.5 lbs. by being more mindful. I recall thinking to myself one fine morning that I had better track my stuff more carefully as i was about to see the dietician again, and I went in with 3 or 4 days of meticulous tracking. Of course I followed their advice about protein and fluids, and probably went low on the carbohydrates. She seemed startled to see the detail I had included (although delighted). So I think I was being asked to track what I ate so they could be sure I knew what to do, rather than insisting that I be on a diet. 

I think some surgeons check liver size over a certain BMI via ultrasound - see postings by @Michael_A, who has been on a liquid diet for > 6 months and had a big liver. In his case he had to be on a diet to reach a specific goal of smaller liver size. My BMI was under 40 and perhaps I didn't have to have a diet or abdominal ultrasound because my liver was unlikely to be too big. That would be consistent with your BMI being > 40 and being asked to lose some weight, much of which would come from your liver. 

I didn't have a pre-op diet per se.  I was just required to lose a bit of weight but more importantly, keep it off on the run-up to my WLS.

I'm guessing that there are other factors - a fatty liver being a major thing.

I didn't have a prescribed pre-op diet. I just tried to lose as much as I could.

Hmmmm.  I have no idea whether I have a fatty liver or not.  I guess that's what I'm concerned about!  I don't want them to cut me open and be like, "Nope, can't do this one - fatty liver!"

16 minutes ago, Dragonfly111 said:

Hmmmm.  I have no idea whether I have a fatty liver or not.  I guess that's what I'm concerned about!  I don't want them to cut me open and be like, "Nope, can't do this one - fatty liver!"

Oh, I would really not sweat this. Having said that, there is NO reason not to call your team and get an answer. You may sleep better because of them answering the question, not because of the response from some random guy (me) on an internet forum. I mean, really... what should you go with? <_<

Having indicated you should talk to your surgeons and not look for a definitive response here...

First, you already lost some weight (14, not 10, lbs as they asked) which is mostly going to be in your liver, since it is the place where fat gets deposited and removed most readily. So you already did the needed and requested thing for shrinking your liver.

Second, the surgical teams have statistical algorithms, based on thousands of persons, that pick up the couple of percent of people they need to worry about when it comes to liver size. Your BMI is 44, not 60, and you lost the (more than the) 10 lbs they asked for. 

[Only said partly in jest, you could try to lose more weight. The reason I say that is there are lots of studies showing that people who lose weight before surgery are statistically more likely to succeed and to lose more weigh after surgery. So not only would you have a very very much reduced liver, you would be even deeper into the category of pre-surgery loss and likelihood of great success. So this is not a snarky comment, but one based in the literature of what leads to success.]

So if I was you I would place the call to your surgeons and while you await their return call, bask in the knowledge you exceeded their request. No reason not to be happy with your good work!

Dragonfly111 and Jen581791 like this

On 8/23/2017 at 10:00 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

who has been on a liquid diet for > 6 months

Ha ha thanks for the compliment :-) but it's been liquids for about 6 weeks now, probably 6 more to go. I was on lean meats and veggies since Feb, liquids since mid July or so.

If it had been 6 months I'd be skinny as a board like @tmcgee!

tmcgee and BurgundyBoy like this

Posted (edited)

I didn't have a pre op diet either.  Just couldn't gain weight.  I actually called to make sure they hadn't forgotten to tell me, lol!  

If you really want to it probably wouldn't hurt anything.  Or replace one meal with a shake..

Edited by Cheesehead

9 hours ago, Michael_A said:

Ha ha thanks for the compliment :-) but it's been liquids for about 6 weeks now, probably 6 more to go. I was on lean meats and veggies since Feb, liquids since mid July or so.

I did approx 8 months of two liquid diet meals daily plus one low carb meal. That was my choice though as my stomach was so messed up that eating meat and veggies resulted in pain. That's how I ended up with a sub 30 BMI on surgery day. Don't get me wrong because I'm stoked it was so low on surgery day....but most people would lose their insurance eligibility for the surgery if they followed that plan pre-op. That was never an issue for me because my surgery was classed as a medical necessity. I'm glad I did it though as my new lifestyle was pretty much engrained prior to my surgery. The reality for me is that I actually eat more post surgery than I was pre-op and continue to lose weight.

2 hours ago, Aussie H said:

I did approx 8 months of two liquid diet meals daily plus one low carb meal. That was my choice though as my stomach was so messed up that eating meat and veggies resulted in pain. That's how I ended up with a sub 30 BMI on surgery day. Don't get me wrong because I'm stoked it was so low on surgery day....but most people would lose their insurance eligibility for the surgery if they followed that plan pre-op. That was never an issue for me because my surgery was classed as a medical necessity. I'm glad I did it though as my new lifestyle was pretty much engrained prior to my surgery. The reality for me is that I actually eat more post surgery than I was pre-op and continue to lose weight.

8 Months, wow! Even more so hero status with me now!

tmcgee, BurgundyBoy and Aussie H like this

Pulling for you, Michael, I so want you to succeed and I know you will, you are showing true commitment and that's what it takes. I only wish you didn't have to wait so long! 

BurgundyBoy and Michael_A like this

20 hours ago, Michael_A said:

Truly Michael, you are my hero.  :wub:

Michael_A likes this

On 23-8-2017 at 7:43 PM, Dragonfly111 said:

Me. Had to lose 13 pounds.

23 hours ago, Michael_A said:

Oh, um, yes, ah, I had written years and corrected it to months not weeks. :rolleyes: (Your reputation for endurance and perseverance is indeed legend-worthy). 

Hoping you can still see the goal in the distance.

I have to be on a fluid only (protein shakes , sugar free jello, water, etc) diet for 2 wks prior.  This isn't so that I will lose weight before surgery (though I am sure I will) but it is so that my liver will shrink down (since it doesn't have to work as hard at filtering food products) and having the liver smaller will help the surgeon since it lays over the stomach and he has to pull it out of the way to get to the stomach.  Having it "shrunken" will help him access the stomach easier which will make the whole surgery go smoother.