CurvyMermaid

Aunt Flo is Visiting Too Frequently!!

11 posts in this topic

Prior to surgery I menstruated pretty regularly at a 29 day cycle. Post surgery (not even 2 months) I am on my 3rd period. Say whaaaa? The first was 20 days out, then 34 days out, now again. So I am looking at menstruating every 2 weeks.

I realize my body is freaking out but how long before this stabilizes? I am frequently on the boat and in the water all day for work - which makes a surprise visitor impossible to attend to.

Did any other pre-menopausal WLS ladies experience this? I asked my gyno when I had my yearly and was getting info on the copper IUD but she had no answers.

Smashlee83 and NerdyLady like this

It's not unusual for our menstrual cycle to become a little irregular early post-op but it's always worth mentioning it to your surgeon.

Pretty common during weight loss as estrogen is stored in fat cells. Plus of course the physical stress of major surgery.  I had the opposite effect (due to my advanced age lol) in that my periods had gotten irregular preop gearing up for the grand finale.  Imagine my surprise when they suddenly became regular again postop, and my hot flashes went away :)

It was all temporary though and everything reverted to "normal" when the weight loss slowed and the estrogen stopped surging. 

I had the opposite Mary.  My periods were regular as clockwork pre-op but after my WLS, they were a little irregular and heavy but all of a sudden stopped a few months post-op.

The only issue was that I had horrendous night-time sweats (2-3 times) that were so bad, I had to sleep on a towel and have a couple of showers in the middle of the night but maca root sorted that out once I had the right dose.

Same thing happened to me. I had 3 periods in the first few months and one of them lasted almost a month. I am now 5 months out and this is the best and most regular it's ever been. Like clockwork every 29 days and lasts about 3 days.

19 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

Same thing happened to me. I had 3 periods in the first few months and one of them lasted almost a month. I am now 5 months out and this is the best and most regular it's ever been. Like clockwork every 29 days and lasts about 3 days.

ONE LASTED A MONTH!!!!!  Good golly that's a lot of tampons. It's not that I am concerned its abnormal, I completely understand why its happening, I was hoping to get a feel for how long before I might be back to my normal schedule.  Seems like it might be a few months so I'm putting away the white pants! :o

3 hours ago, CurvyMermaid said:

ONE LASTED A MONTH!!!!!  Good golly that's a lot of tampons. 

I switched to a menstrual cup 3 years ago (I think my brand is called Blossom). Life-changing! You only have to change it every 12 hours and only have to buy it once.

Smashlee83 likes this

6 minutes ago, Gretta said:

I switched to a menstrual cup 3 years ago (I think my brand is called Blossom). Life-changing! You only have to change it every 12 hours and only have to buy it once.

YAS Girl! I just got a Diva Cup last cycle and it was a game changer.

Gretta likes this

I have researched cups but I didn't think there was a way to use them if you don't have access to a bathroom where you can rinse and reinsert in private (e.g. work has many stalls with sinks in common area). Although if you can use it 12 hours at a time, even with heavy flow, I can change it at home. Maybe I should give it a go.

Gretta likes this

4 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

YAS Girl! I just got a Diva Cup last cycle and it was a game changer.

I too use a cup!   LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Gretta likes this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, CurvyMermaid said:

I have researched cups but I didn't think there was a way to use them if you don't have access to a bathroom where you can rinse and reinsert in private (e.g. work has many stalls with sinks in common area). Although if you can use it 12 hours at a time, even with heavy flow, I can change it at home. Maybe I should give it a go.

Yeah, 12 hours! If you really feel like you need to empty it at work, it's cool to just dump it in the toilet and wipe it out with toilet paper & put it back in. You can give it a good rinse when you get home. I always rinse it with water & a feminine cleanser. 

Edited by Gretta