michelleann31

Trying to get Panni approved through Kaiser

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys! So I wanted to ask some questions and see if anyone else WS in the same boat as me. I've lost over 120 pounds since I started on my weight loss journey 3 years ago and work out 5 times a week and while my upper body and arms are looking fantastic around my mid section is that fantastic puddle of mush we all are familiar with. My pannus now hangs over my lady area and the rashes this summer have been awful even though I shower twice a day(morning before work, evening after working out) so it prompted me to meet with my doctor to discuss pannus removal. She thought that while I'm not yet at my goal weight I'd lost enough and agreed it needs to go. She also said I had a layer of fat on top of the muscle under the skin above my belly button so they may try and lipo it or they may say I need a full blown tummy tuck which I know Kaiser will not pay for. Has anyone ever done just the panni then the full tuck later down the line? I'd be OK with that for now, I just want to have this thing gone! Her nurse called me yesterday to say my doctor would call me Monday to "go over options" whatever that means I'm not too sure. Any input would be appreciated!!

Sleevalicious likes this

Hi @michelleann31

First of all congratulations on your impressive weight loss.

I'm not at goal yet but I've been looking into plastics very diligently.

I understand your circumstances but really, would you be willing to go through 2 major surgeries with all the discomforts and associated risks? I know I wouldn't. I suggest you have a detailed discussion with your surgeon and listen to what their options are. Good luck on this new adventure to thinland:)

michelleann31 likes this

Yeah and that's where I'm at also but to have it gone is almost worth it even if I do it on 2 parts years down the line, I won't even be able to afford a tummy tuck until my girls are out of the house which is another 6-8 years from now and Im not OK with living with this pannus that long. I might even be OK with just the pannus removed. Idk yet.

Sleevalicious likes this

Anybody else have Kaiser in SoCal that got the pannus removal done? What was your process like and are you happy with the results?

So I had my phone appointment with my doctor today and she said for Kaiser to approve my surgery they want me to loose another 25 pounds which I know I can do :) I have an appointment in 3 months to see how close I am to that goal and take pictures of the apron and submit my progress and pictures to try and get approved. Looks like this girl is adding an hour of cardio in the morning before work in conjunction with my after work kettlebell and kickboxing I do at home. I'm so close I can taste it!!

Gretta, Jen581791 and Michael_A like this

How exciting! Having an incentive will really push you! You've got this!

michelleann31 likes this

14 hours ago, Gretta said:

How exciting! Having an incentive will really push you! You've got this!

Thank you Gretta! I'm determined, I was at the gym by 5:30 this morning so I could get a good work out in before work, I did the treadmill for 25 and the bike for 20 and this evening I'll do 20 minutes of kettle bell :) it will do so much for my mental state having this gone, It started almost 15 years ago after I had my 1st daughter, she was almost 9 pounds and my stomach was so deflated after I had her. Add a 2nd baby 2 years later then the weight gain from the tumor medication I was on and  now loosing the weight my skin has no elasticity anymore and a lot of times its all I can focus on! I can't wait to finally be free from this skin!

Gretta and Jen581791 like this

Posted (edited)

On 8/29/2017 at 1:54 AM, michelleann31 said:

So I had my phone appointment with my doctor today and she said for Kaiser to approve my surgery they want me to loose another 25 pounds which I know I can do :) I have an appointment in 3 months to see how close I am to that goal and take pictures of the apron and submit my progress and pictures to try and get approved. Looks like this girl is adding an hour of cardio in the morning before work in conjunction with my after work kettlebell and kickboxing I do at home. I'm so close I can taste it!!

Glad they came back with a great answer and a heck of a motivator :) Good luck, you got this!

Photographic evidence of rashes/infections, and documentation from your doctor on their frequency can also go a long way towards helping approval. 

Edited by delilas

Congrats on all the progress you've made :) as well as on keeping such a demanding workout routine. Doesn't success feel wonderful? 

Glad to hear you're feeling motivated by the requirement to lose a bit more. I'm sure being down a few more pounds before the surgery will make recovery easier, too. 

Best of luck - it sounds like you've got this!

michelleann31 likes this

On 8/30/2017 at 7:37 AM, delilas said:

Glad they came back with a great answer and a heck of a motivator :) Good luck, you got this!

Photographic evidence of rashes/infections, and documentation from your doctor on their frequency can also go a long way towards helping approval. 

Yep. Have all my photos of my rashes saved my primary care doctor wants that she's gonna submit when I go in for my appointment in November. Weighed in this morning and already down another 3 pounds from 2 weeks ago :) 22 left!

On 8/30/2017 at 7:57 AM, Jen581791 said:

Congrats on all the progress you've made :) as well as on keeping such a demanding workout routine. Doesn't success feel wonderful? 

Glad to hear you're feeling motivated by the requirement to lose a bit more. I'm sure being down a few more pounds before the surgery will make recovery easier, too. 

Best of luck - it sounds like you've got this!

Thank you :) I figure what else am I gonna do with that hour anyway? Sleep extra if its the morning or sit on my butt watching TV if its the evening? This is a better use of my time and so well worth it!

Jen581791 and Gretta like this