Dtrain84

What Does Everyone Do For A Living?

54 posts in this topic

I thought it be interesting to see what everyone do on their daily grind. I was a police officer for 27 years. I was medically retired after suffering from sudden cardiac arrest. No picture necessary. Lol! 

FB_IMG_1502231910532.jpg

I'm a freelance writer, editor and translator.

I'm a Nursing Assistant and am in the process of getting my Associates in Health Information Technology. 

I worked in retail for many years, but now I'm a full time grandmother to my sweet baby boy!! Oh and did I mention a professional guinea pig? B):lol:

Btw...love the uniform!! It must have been an exciting career! 

Dtrain84 likes this

25 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

Btw...love the uniform!! It must have been an exciting career! 

It had it's ups and downs. I seen a lot of crazy things and when I thought it couldn't get any crazier, wham! I can write a book about my career. Lol! 

Trish1967, tmcgee and Trish13 like this

Just now, Dtrain84 said:

It had it's ups and downs. I seen a lot of crazy things and when I thought it couldn't get any crazier, wham! I can write a book about my career. Lol! 

I can't even begin to imagine the things you've seen...lol...do I want to know? I'm a huge fan of police dramas...law and order is my favorite. Is any of the stuff they do on those shows actually realistic? Lol! 

I think you SHOULD write a book about your career.... heck, your life! I'd buy it, just sayin' ^_^

Dtrain84 and Trish13 like this

Love it Dtrain!  My daughter is a police officer.  

Im a daycare cook for a large daycare (130 kids right now) and I am also in a classroom at times.  So, I'm around food all day!

I retired about 4 years ago to care for my husband. Before that I worked in recruitment for much of my life, but I was trained as a teacher. I've also spent a number of years in electrical wholesale sourcing and purchasing gear for major mining companies. Since my husband's death about 12 months ago, I've given myself time to get my own health issues sorted before I decide on my next path.

I teach English as a Second Language - a good job for people who like to travel. I'm off to the Middle East (a peaceable corner of it - Oman) on Wednesday. 

2 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I can't even begin to imagine the things you've seen...lol...do I want to know? I'm a huge fan of police dramas...law and order is my favorite. Is any of the stuff they do on those shows actually realistic? Lol! 

I think you SHOULD write a book about your career.... heck, your life! I'd buy it, just sayin' ^_^

I'm not a big fan a police shows.  I can stomach Law & Order. It's about the closest to actually what goes on with an investigation, arrest and court proceedings. 

Trish1967 likes this

2 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Love it Dtrain!  My daughter is a police officer.  

Im a daycare cook for a large daycare (130 kids right now) and I am also in a classroom at times.  So, I'm around food all day!

Bless your daughter's soul because it is tough this day in time as a police officer. I don't know if being around food all day long is a good thing or bad thing. Lol! 

Trish1967, Cheesehead and Jen581791 like this

1 hour ago, Aussie H said:

I retired about 4 years ago to care for my husband. Before that I worked in recruitment for much of my life, but I was trained as a teacher. I've also spent a number of years in electrical wholesale sourcing and purchasing gear for major mining companies. Since my husband's death about 12 months ago, I've given myself time to get my own health issues sorted before I decide on my next path.

I'm sorry for the loss of your husband. As far as health issues, all of us who had major health issues knows what you're talking about. I pray for your health and well-being my friend. 

Trish1967, tmcgee, Jen581791 and 1 other like this

11 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I teach English as a Second Language - a good job for people who like to travel. I'm off to the Middle East (a peaceable corner of it - Oman) on Wednesday. 

Traveling to other countries is something that I always wanted to do even if it was related to work or just fun. 

Trish1967, Trish13 and Jen581791 like this

I'm a registered nurse :) I've worked trauma, corrections, and ICU step down, but am currently working in case management as I start the path to my Nurse Practitioner and masters degree.

Love the variety of jobs! @Dtrain84 always massive respect for officers, I had the pleasure of working with some frequently when I was in trauma and corrections, and I'm sorry something had to take you out of uniform!

@Jen581791 - I knew you traveled, and I knew you taught english, I just didn't realize that they went hand in hand! That is so cool :) 

I run the maintenance department for a number of power plants (fossil and renewable) in Southern California.  Not exciting but helps pay for 4 kids in college at the moment and the two in High School. I have one son who is actually self sufficient.  And yes you counted correctly...seven kids. 

Trish13, Trish1967, delilas and 3 others like this

13 minutes ago, delilas said:

I'm a registered nurse :) I've worked trauma, corrections, and ICU step down, but am currently working in case management as I start the path to my Nurse Practitioner and masters degree.

Love the variety of jobs! @Dtrain84 always massive respect for officers, I had the pleasure of working with some frequently when I was in trauma and corrections, and I'm sorry something had to take you out of uniform!

@Jen581791 - I knew you traveled, and I knew you taught english, I just didn't realize that they went hand in hand! That is so cool :) 

I worked as an off duty officer doing security work at a hospital in my town. I love nurses and you have a special place in my heart! I protected them for years not knowing that they would be eventually responsible for saving my life.  The picture I posted of me in uniform was taken by one of the nurses while I was working at the hospital. 

Jen581791, delilas, Clickin and 1 other like this

I am a Business Analyst for a Financial Technology company. Isn't my dream job (still trying to figure that one out), but it helps pay the bills. ;)

Being a police officer wasn't my dream job but however it was something as a child that I always wanted to be. I wanted to help people and make a difference in the community that I worked in. 

Trish13, Cheesehead, Clickin and 1 other like this

5 hours ago, Dtrain84 said:

I'm not a big fan a police shows.  I can stomach Law & Order. It's about the closest to actually what goes on with an investigation, arrest and court proceedings. 

It's good to know I like a somewhat realistic show, lol. I used to absolutely love Criminal minds, but it got way too gruesome and I can't handle it anymore, unfortunately. 

I can imagine you're not a big fan of police shows because you lived it...you probably didn't want to watch it on tv when you got home from work :) 

Dtrain84 likes this

I'm a nurse and I manage 2 charities in my "free" time :)

I repair church organs.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

It's good to know I like a somewhat realistic show, lol. I used to absolutely love Criminal minds, but it got way too gruesome and I can't handle it anymore, unfortunately. 

I can imagine you're not a big fan of police shows because you lived it...you probably didn't want to watch it on tv when you got home from work :) 

I didn't like CSI or Criminal Minds because it's not realistic when it comes to forensic evidence. I know it's a TV show but it just turns me to wrong way when they can get forensic evidence back in within minutes when it actually takes weeks or even months for results to come back. If you want to see real police work, you should watch Forensic Files or 20/20 on the ID Network. When detectives can arrest a killer when the killer left their toe print in a slice of bread at a murder scene, that is some awesome police work there! 

Edited by Dtrain84
Trish1967, Jen581791 and Clickin like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Dtrain84 said:

I didn't like CSI or Criminal Minds because it's not realistic when it comes to forensic evidence. I know it's a TV show but it just turns me to wrong way when they can get forensic evidence back in within minutes when it actually takes weeks or even months for results to come back. If you want to see real police work, you should watch Forensic Files or 20/20 on the ID Network. When detectives can arrest a killer when the killer left their toe print in a slice of bread at a murder scene, that is some awesome police work there! 

My husband and I love forensic files! I hear what you're saying about the test results coming back the same day, lol...hubby and I have discussed that too. Forensic files has had some pretty interesting cases, and like you said, awesome police work! I don't think I've seen the one with the toe print in the bread :o That's pretty cool!

oh...oh...and CSI Miami was all about David Caruso taking off his sunglasses anyway, lmao, so no chance of reality anywhere near that show!! :lol:

Edited by Trish1967
Dtrain84 likes this

2 hours ago, tmcgee said:

I repair church organs.

That's a very cool job :) 

Dtrain84 likes this