I've just turned 50, and so on thursday, I"m having my first colonoscopy. I told the doctor's office about my RNY, hoping that they would adjust the prep for me, but they did not. So, I am very worried about getting everything down. I'm supposed to use Suprep. Basically, 6 ounces of Supper, added to 10 ounces of water. I'm supposed to gulp it down, and then drink 32 oz of water within the hour following. So, I've been keeping track of how much I can drink, and drinking as much as I can, and I can only drink 8-10 ounces an hour. At that rate, it will take me 4 hours to drink all of the required. Then, I have to repeat this a second time. This is going to be a problem! 

I'm wondering if anyone has taken the Suprep and only added 1/2 the amount of water. That would cut out quite a bit, and help me get the Supper down faster. 

Also, I've heard that the Suprep is HORRIBLE.  My husband just did his this week, and could barely get it down without vomiting. Any tips to get it down without getting sick?

I did it and drank the full amount. The prep stinks but all in all the test was pretty simple. Good luck!

Hi GAviv!!  Thanks for the answer. Just as an aside... I hope that everything came out ok. I know that you have a long history of issues. I hope they got to the bottom of it. 

I questioned my surgeon when I was scheduled to have one and was told it would be fine. I can tell you now that it wasn't fine at all. I started bleeding severely during the process...So much so I was ready to head to the ER. Hubby calmed me down and told me he'd keep an eye on me but wanted me to sleep. I did and was okay in the end. I won't do it again though. There are gentler ways to achieve the same result, some surgeon's are just too set in their ways to make the changes. 

I use 3 x 10oz bottles of magnesium citrate liquid which comes in several flavours but they're tolerable (I prefer the lemon).  

Using a straw as far back in your mouth as you can get it will help bypass some of the tastebuds.

@scarlet-amelia I think one of the reasons to have 32 ounces of water is to prevent any dehydration when you have all the stooling to clean out your bowels. I think you could drink half or three quarters of the 32 ounces of it before the Suprep, and then the remaining portion and you'd be fine. I tried to see if I could find anything on the web about bowel preps after gastric bypass but at least on initial look didn't see very much.... here is what I did see: 

Dr. Callery of this Forum responded to a query back in 2011 - basic message is just to do it over a bit more time, but here is the post:

and, here is another website suggesting the same prep but over more time:

https://www.cityofhope.org/blog/colonoscopy-bariatric-surgery

I would talk to the doc. There's no point in doing the prep if you can't get it down correctly. For some people it ends up okay, but the last thing anyone wants is to go start a colonoscopy for it to end immediately because the prep wasn't thorough enough. 

I second Cinwa on using mag citrate - used it before with patients who couldn't tolerate the gallon jug of GoLytely we used ^_^ But regardless, there are other options, and your doc can/should make allowances for that. 

Ok... this is all great info. I think I will give myself an hour to get the prep down.... Then just try to drink as much water as I can. 

15 hours ago, scarlet-amelia said:

Hi GAviv!!  Thanks for the answer. Just as an aside... I hope that everything came out ok. I know that you have a long history of issues. I hope they got to the bottom of it. 

Thanks, friend! All is well in the end. I was young as far as colonoscopies go, but it was worth it to rule out anything serious.