swanfray

Halo top ice cream...what a mistake (accountability maybe)

25 posts in this topic

So, I've been pretty open with my friends about vsg. My doctor is one of those who advances us quickly so I'm already on puree/soft foods. One of my close friends bought me a pint of halo top vanilla bean ice cream. I took a spoonful..then another one and I found out it's such a slider food for me and it's so yummy. It triggered cravings and I wasn't even a sweets person nor did I have any cravings since surgery. Stay away from yummy alternatives so early out. Lesson learned :mellow:

Well, you discovered a new thing about yourself, which is always valuable! :) 

Good job recognizing what's going on. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

I had to check myself with Halo Top.  I definitely measure mine out but I was having it once a day.  Unlike the ole apple, Halo Top does not keep the dr away and it definitely doesn't keep the pounds away.  So I told myself that it would be a weekend splurge and now it's crept back into a daily thing for me.  I'm going to have to put it away for a few weeks and get back to my fruit.  It doesn't hurt my feelings much.  Salty is my poison and I just about have to dust them with cashews, which i'm highly allergic to, in order to have chips or crackers in my house.  Lessons are learned and thanks for sharing.  It helps keep the rest of us in check as well.

15 hours ago, swanfray said:

So, I've been pretty open with my friends about vsg. My doctor is one of those who advances us quickly so I'm already on puree/soft foods. One of my close friends bought me a pint of halo top vanilla bean ice cream. I took a spoonful..then another one and I found out it's such a slider food for me and it's so yummy. It triggered cravings and I wasn't even a sweets person nor did I have any cravings since surgery. Stay away from yummy alternatives so early out. Lesson learned :mellow:

I learned from @Stephtay "what you eat today, you will crave tomorrow" and oh man is it true! Some things the last many months I've just had to insist that my family not even bring into the house! Halo Top is one. It is so good!

3 hours ago, Karimeaway said:

I had to check myself with Halo Top.  I definitely measure mine out but I was having it once a day.  Unlike the ole apple, Halo Top does not keep the dr away and it definitely doesn't keep the pounds away.  So I told myself that it would be a weekend splurge and now it's crept back into a daily thing for me.  I'm going to have to put it away for a few weeks and get back to my fruit.  It doesn't hurt my feelings much.  Salty is my poison and I just about have to dust them with cashews, which i'm highly allergic to, in order to have chips or crackers in my house.  Lessons are learned and thanks for sharing.  It helps keep the rest of us in check as well.

I'm glad you said this because I told myself that I'll have a serving on the weekends too. But now I'll be putting that away!

Trish1967 and Karimeaway like this

16 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

I learned from @Stephtay "what you eat today, you will crave tomorrow" and oh man is it true! Some things the last many months I've just had to insist that my family not even bring into the house! Halo Top is one. It is so good!

That's solid advice and very true! I had no cravings for ice cream or sweets until I let myself tasted some halo top. 

Stephtay, Trish1967 and Karimeaway like this

On 8/16/2017 at 8:55 PM, swanfray said:

I recently put a pint of Halo Top down the kitchen drain. You aren't alone my friend.

I simply don't like the taste and texture of Halo and other low carb ice creams. I make my own now, using coconut milk. At 13.5 years out, I'm on a ketogenic diet. Early post op, the usual low carb, low fat, high protein. 

Michael_A, LeeC and swanfray like this

2 hours ago, lealphachienne said:

I simply don't like the taste and texture of Halo and other low carb ice creams. I make my own now, using coconut milk. At 13.5 years out, I'm on a ketogenic diet. Early post op, the usual low carb, low fat, high protein. 

You're a lucky one! I tried the ketogenic diet pre-op and it worked well. I think I'll be returning to it after goal

lealphachienne likes this

Wow. I thought kicking my crystal meth and sex addict habits before surgery was hard. Had no idea that Halo was that bad. This stuff is sold over the counter???

More seriously: For me the worst is pretty simple: potato chips or anything salty and crunchy and carbohydrate-y. Like @Michael_A can't even have it in the house without my willpower melting away. I had to crush and put down the disposal a whole bag recently that some Innocent Party brought into the house. 

4 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Wow. I thought kicking my crystal meth and sex addict habits before surgery was hard. Had no idea that Halo was that bad. This stuff is sold over the counter???

More seriously: For me the worst is pretty simple: potato chips or anything salty and crunchy and carbohydrate-y. Like @Michael_A can't even have it in the house without my willpower melting away. I had to crush and put down the disposal a whole bag recently that some Innocent Party brought into the house. 

@BurgundyBoy The sad thing is that Halo Top isn't even that great. I've bought about five pints of Halo Top since my surgery (not proud) because it was forbidden fruit that I could justify to myself. It's high in protein! It's low calorie! It's on sale! At the end of the day, I threw the last pint away because it just isn't worth it. Today it's Halo Top but (for me) tomorrow, it's a tray of baklava. 

In case anyone is wondering, I have secretly eaten a party sized tray of baklava in the middle of the night. It was Orthodox Easter and not my finest moment. 

I'm with @BurgundyBoy on this one - I've always enjoyed sweets and chocolate and ice-creams and such, but give me crunchy potato chips and salty/savoury things anytime. In fact that was my single greatest problem pre-op, I could devour them like nobodies business and I mean like one GIANT bag of chips or such while just watching some funny junk before I went to sleep, easy. And at my worst that was almost daily.

But yeah, it's tapered off a lot post-op. Still crave chomping on some now, but the nice thing is if Im in a work meeting or something and there's some snacks being shown around, I literally take one or two chips or one small saltine/salty biscuit, take squirrel sized nibbles out of it for several minutes and some part of my brain feels happy and I don't have more. So far so good.

Hope all you ice-cream lovers win the battle of the soft-sweet-fluff!

BurgundyBoy, Trish1967 and swanfray like this

I was the biggest ice cream/sweets junkie ever born before surgery. But if I was on a binge, and I've had too many binge nights to count, I would sit down with a big bag of salt and vinegar chips with a container of bacon horseradish dip. And eat every last one. Or my other go to binge food was triscuits with cream cheese. 3/4 of a box with almost a whole tub of whipped Philly cream cheese. As far as the chips go...the worst part? I never really LIKED them that much! But, oh, sweet ice cream...Ben and Jerry were my best friends! I was eating a pint a night for weeks at a time. Needless to say, I know what my slider/trigger foods are, and I just can't keep them in the house. It's not even so much that I think I'd eat them...but I would obsess over wanting to eat them. It would consume me! My husband bought a pint of Halo top last month (I made him promise to make it disappear by the next morning) and I did try ONE spoonful. It wasn't bad. Maybe when I'm at goal, if I REALLY need something sweet, I might have a serving. But I can't even begin to think about that now. I'm not strong enough. Why was my blood sugar in the 500's again?!?

Can anyone say "Junk food junkie anonymous?" 

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

@BurgundyBoy The sad thing is that Halo Top isn't even that great. I've bought about five pints of Halo Top since my surgery (not proud) because it was forbidden fruit that I could justify to myself. It's high in protein! It's low calorie! It's on sale! At the end of the day, I threw the last pint away because it just isn't worth it. Today it's Halo Top but (for me) tomorrow, it's a tray of baklava. 

In case anyone is wondering, I have secretly eaten a party sized tray of baklava in the middle of the night. It was Orthodox Easter and not my finest moment. 

I was trying to quote just a portion of your comment, and somehow I think I erased your quote of BurgundyBoy's? How did that happen? I'm sorry! 

Hahaha...I refreshed my page and it's still there. I will never be computer savvy!! What I wanted to say, is that I love the fact that we can come here and confess our "food sins" without judgement. Eating the baklava might not have been your finest moment, but you did it...you owned it...and you moved on. You're human ❤️ And a lovely one at that!!

Edited by Trish1967

@NerdyLady and @Trish1967

Have this imagine in my brain of eating baklava with potato chips AT THE SAME TIME. To get sweet gooey and crunchy salty all at once. I bet you could glue the chips on top with extra honey...

Am getting all overheated, time to take a cold shower.... dangerous thoughts...

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Have this imagine in my brain of eating baklava with potato chips AT THE SAME TIME. To get sweet gooey and crunchy salty all at once. I bet you could glue the chips on top with extra honey...

HAHAHAHAHA @BurgundyBoy! That almost sounds like a pregnancy craving!!

Edited by Trish1967
BurgundyBoy likes this

On 8/18/2017 at 11:10 PM, NerdyLady said:

Ha ha ha! We all have a "baklava" story. 

23 hours ago, WildSpirit68 said:

Ha ha ha! We all have a "baklava" story. 

Well said, my friend!

On 8/20/2017 at 0:25 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

@BurgundyBoy About 20 years ago, I worked with a major foodie. He said that his fantasy service would consist of a woman reading recipes and describing the details of exquisite dishes. LOL

The baklava was amazing. It was made by someone's YaYa. I should not have been left alone with that tray overnight. To be fair, every year my in laws put out An amazing spread for Orthodox Easter. It's hard not to stuff your face. 

BurgundyBoy likes this

On 8/21/2017 at 11:55 PM, NerdyLady said:

@BurgundyBoy About 20 years ago, I worked with a major foodie. He said that his fantasy service would consist of a woman reading recipes and describing the details of exquisite dishes. LOL

The baklava was amazing. It was made by someone's YaYa. I should not have been left alone with that tray overnight. To be fair, every year my in laws put out An amazing spread for Orthodox Easter. It's hard not to stuff your face. 

You may be surprised to hear this, but baklava has been extensively studied... and it has no calories after WLS. :D Ok, and now that that fantasy is over...

Your major foodie friend sounds like a piece of work, or refined tastes. One many people would find amusing to meet but perhaps not to know too closely. But a person who really knew what really was important to him. A lot to be said for clarity of purpose in life. 

Of all the sweets in the world, I think baklava is my favorite. I almost disdain most others as they are not worth the calories they have, but the mixture of honey, flaky, nutty, etc. is really marvelous. In Italy recently I had some gelato that rose to that high level, and as I had it I thought to myself that for people who have had WLS, they would really get how delicious - indeed, uplifting and noble - that gelato was. If you eschew everything except the very best after WLS, then the exceptional food really has to have merit. 

In the 70s my girlfriend - now my wife - lived a block away from the now-legendary Steve's Ice Cream in Somerville. I suppose it is foolish to post comments on great foods (none of which is on a WLS diet) here but that ice cream was better than any I have ever had since. We had ice cream there in the summer and the middle of the most bitter winter. 

Perhaps it is just me, but WLS has allowed me to sharpen my focus a bit on what is really worth eating and what is not. Baklava, great gelato, foie gras... all of these seem to me to be allowable in the context of an overarching caution and limited intake. Beauty before Quantity!!

Smashlee83 and LeeC like this

9 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

You may be surprised to hear this, but baklava has been extensively studied... and it has no calories after WLS. :D Ok, and now that that fantasy is over...

Your major foodie friend sounds like a piece of work, or refined tastes. One many people would find amusing to meet but perhaps not to know too closely. But a person who really knew what really was important to him. A lot to be said for clarity of purpose in life. 

Of all the sweets in the world, I think baklava is my favorite. I almost disdain most others as they are not worth the calories they have, but the mixture of honey, flaky, nutty, etc. is really marvelous. In Italy recently I had some gelato that rose to that high level, and as I had it I thought to myself that for people who have had WLS, they would really get how delicious - indeed, uplifting and noble - that gelato was. If you eschew everything except the very best after WLS, then the exceptional food really has to have merit. 

In the 70s my girlfriend - now my wife - lived a block away from the now-legendary Steve's Ice Cream in Somerville. I suppose it is foolish to post comments on great foods (none of which is on a WLS diet) here but that ice cream was better than any I have ever had since. We had ice cream there in the summer and the middle of the most bitter winter. 

Perhaps it is just me, but WLS has allowed me to sharpen my focus a bit on what is really worth eating and what is not. Baklava, great gelato, foie gras... all of these seem to me to be allowable in the context of an overarching caution and limited intake. Beauty before Quantity!!

I recently told a fellow WLS friend that I no longer have time for mild cheeses. Because I love food so much and I don't intend to change that about myself, I really focus on quality over quantity. I've realized that filler foods and junk are no longer appealing. If I'm going to waste room in my sleeve for it, it better be delish!

BurgundyBoy likes this

9 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Foodie Friend was an amazing coworker. He was a foul mouthed immigration lawyer who was married to a mucky muck Bishop in the Methodist Church. They are a hilarious couple. 

Something I've always admired about my husband and his fellow Eastern European people is the appreciation of food. They will take a sweet like baklava and truly savor the moment. They don't need to have 15 pieces or gobble down the treat. They truly enjoy the texture and taste. I've seen my husband eat a cherry and have the moment last for 10 minutes. He's thin as a rail and is the laziest man I know. When I visit Bulgaria, I've sat with friends in a cafe with a cup of truly delicious espresso and a dessert (which by American standards is TINY) for hours. Meanwhile, I spend the moment trying to adjust my shirt over my fat rolls and, avoiding desert am self-conscious of being the fattest person in the room. 

I completely agree with you about eating exceptional food. Over the past few years, I have had a bad habit of eating foods that I do not like, because I did not take the time to prepare a quality meal. Pre-diabetes, my lunch would be two snickers bars (which I loathe) from the college vending machine. My excuse was always that I didn't have time between teaching or classes. Halo Top is a perfect example of my old habits. I don't particularly care for that ice cream but I eat it because of the litany of excuses I have made for myself. I have to be vigilant about mindful eating and only eat the best of the best. Thank you for your example above. 

I've heard amazing things about Steve's! It's a pity I never got a chance to taste a cone. 

BurgundyBoy likes this

52 minutes ago, Smashlee83 said:

I recently told a fellow WLS friend that I no longer have time for mild cheeses. Because I love food so much and I don't intend to change that about myself, I really focus on quality over quantity. I've realized that filler foods and junk are no longer appealing. If I'm going to waste room in my sleeve for it, it better be delish!

I recently bought a cheddar cheese that wasn't sharp and my disappointment surprised me Guess what my daughter has at snack time?? I agree with you. It better be delish. If I'm going to eat something boring, it might as well be a protein shake that will nourish and sustain me. 

BurgundyBoy likes this

I'm okay with Halo Top, but I'm somebody who lost his sweet tooth. It's a whole lot better than sitting down and eating a whole tub of ice cream like in the old days. Even with regular ice cream, I have no trouble stopping at two spoons. I don't buy it myself, my grandkids live with me. This is all still unbelievable to me.

BurgundyBoy, NerdyLady and LeeC like this