gtaman

Joint pain after major weight loss

I have lost 87 lbs as of now, and my joints feel worse?  I was wondering if any of you had experienced this.  Knee/Hip/Low Back is achy.  I think it is punishment for all the sugar I ate maybe.

I had some pretty bad back/hip pain early on - we lose weight at a pretty fast pace early out and our muscles and ligaments don't always keep up with it.

Check out youtube for back and hip exercises.

Thanks, I felt better after 40 lbs, but worse at 90.

I'm actually having physical therapy (well, it's more like having a trainer) because apparently loss of fat tissue can make your joints unstable. Huh.

2 hours ago, gtaman said:

I have lost 87 lbs as of now, and my joints feel worse?  I was wondering if any of you had experienced this.  Knee/Hip/Low Back is achy.  I think it is punishment for all the sugar I ate maybe.

Well, what you are saying makes sense to me. I had my sleeve in large part because of back and right hip pain. I had a very bad bike accident nearly 2 years ago and it "unmasked" the osteoarthritis in my hip, and then my back got bad when I couldn't walk very much. So now, some 70+ pounds down, my back is nearly all better... and my right hip is in some ways better... but over the last month BOTH my hips have started to ache with walking and I have definite clicks in both. I think the weight loss and fatty tissue loss has indeed led to the same stuff @Carina is suffering from. I'm going to continue to lose weight and do as much in the way of leg and core strengthening as I can and then re-assess when I am closer to goal... 

58 minutes ago, Carina said:

I'm actually having physical therapy (well, it's more like having a trainer) because apparently loss of fat tissue can make your joints unstable. Huh.

Yes, I have had instability too.  Ankle issue, then moved into knees/hips/low back.  I am working on strengthening.  But sometimes seriously wondering if I will be walking in 5 yrs.

I am sure you have had feelings like this as well.  Can't shake the doubts.  

Edited by gtaman

47 minutes ago, gtaman said:

Yes, I have had instability too.  Ankle issue, then moved into knees/hips/low back.  I am working on strengthening.  But sometimes seriously wondering if I will be walking in 5 yrs.

What a problem for us to have!  Well, just as a thought-experiment counterpoint to your doubts, your joints will be carrying 250/388 or 64% of your prior weight if you get to your goal. That has to result in less wear and tear from just the weight bearing. You are already at < 78% of the load they carried @ 301 lbs. 

Let's check in with one another every 20 pounds or some increment. My knees are shot (no cartilage at all) but they no longer ache unless I am walking up or down a slope with a gradient of 20 degrees or more, and my back is 95% better. It's just my hips that are lousy, and my weight loss may have led to looser joints but my right hip is much less painful than it was. It used to wake me up at night in bed. 

My shoulder and lower back hurt for a year..  

1 hour ago, gtaman said:

You'd no doubt be a lot worse off with the ankle pain had you not lost that weight. They say each foot strike is multiple times your weight pressure on your joints. 

Just for another reality check, I am having a mid foot fusion (navicular-cuniform) on Monday next week. In order to have that surgery I had to get my BMI below 30. Hips and knee replacements in Australia also have a maximum BMI limit. These can vary but generally sit in the under 35-40 range. Losing weight certainly didn't help (even a little bit) my midfoot pain, but it definitely  has made life with my knees far better.

3 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

What a problem for us to have!  Well, just as a thought-experiment counterpoint to your doubts, your joints will be carrying 250/388 or 64% of your prior weight if you get to your goal. That has to result in less wear and tear from just the weight bearing. You are already at < 78% of the load they carried @ 301 lbs. 

Let's check in with one another every 20 pounds or some increment. My knees are shot (no cartilage at all) but they no longer ache unless I am walking up or down a slope with a gradient of 20 degrees or more, and my back is 95% better. It's just my hips that are lousy, and my weight loss may have led to looser joints but my right hip is much less painful than it was. It used to wake me up at night in bed. 

Thanks so much, your reasoning is sound, I know the weight has to come off.  I would love to check in every 20.  I am going to try my best to stay positive like all of you.

3 hours ago, Aussie H said:

You'd no doubt be a lot worse off with the ankle pain had you not lost that weight. They say each foot strike is multiple times your weight pressure on your joints. 

Just for another reality check, I am having a mid foot fusion (navicular-cuniform) on Monday next week. In order to have that surgery I had to get my BMI below 30. Hips and knee replacements in Australia also have a maximum BMI limit. These can vary but generally sit in the under 35-40 range. Losing weight certainly didn't help (even a little bit) my midfoot pain, but it definitely  has made life with my knees far better.

You are absolutely correct, I know in the long run I am doing nothing but good getting my bmi to 40 and below, 15 lbs left to 40.  I hope your foot feels better after your surgery

I may fall down but I am never giving up, i have come too far

You have to remember as well, you've rapidly changed the way your body has been used to holding itself for many years. This is especially true for people who carried a lot of weight in their belly. Your body has been carrying a front-forward weight for a very good portion of your life, and now it has to relearn what it is to be stable without that load and that pull on gravity.

In a lot of cases, your joints become hypermobile - they move in ways they couldn't before, but not necessarily in ways they should, and it leads to pain. 

I've been doing PT after breaking my foot this summer, and I've been amazed how much I've needed to retrain my foot and ankle muscles. They actually think years of accommodating an old knee injury lead to a walk that wasn't noticeably off, but enough so that it made it prone to breaking when I began running. We've had to work our way up my whole leg to get me walking properly again to avoid reinjury - just because of a stress fracture!! :huh: 

I can relate. The one side of my hip has really been painful when I walk. I'm going in for a dexa scan but other than that I guess I'll try some exercises that may help. I'm not complaining though. I'd rather be thin and have achy joints!

I never really experienced any increase in pain except for when I started working out and did something crazy to my hip.  Resolved with stretching and modifying the workout.  All my foot, knee, and back pain just went away.  Really about the only pain that I have left (unless I overdo and or do something stupid) is my giant varicose veins and I am undergoing procedures to take care of them.  Yay, I love this glorious new life!!!