tmcgee

It's time to stop the weight loss

35 posts in this topic

I'm beyond where I want to be, down 5 more pounds in the last couple of weeks, this is primarily because the really bad sciatica I've been dealing with for a couple of weeks makes it sometimes too painful to walk. I've been subscribed T3, then Percocet, as well as a muscled relaxer, the do very little to help. I got a referral to the pain clinic this morning, hope they can fit me in this week.

I'm hanging in, don't really have a choice at the moment. Cortisone epidural fixed it last time and I'm hopeful for another miracle.

I'm so sorry to hear about the sciatica Tom.  I've only had it once in my life and although it didn't go on for too long, it was excruciating so I'm not surprised that your weight has dropped beyond where you'd like it to be.

Sending you a gentle hug my friend.

tmcgee likes this

Sorry to hear this - pain can be maddening. I hope your doctors can get some management strategies in place so you can rest easy.

tmcgee likes this

Good luck, Tom. I've had sciatica before. It eventually went away, but it was painful.

tmcgee likes this

Thinking good thoughts for you, Tom. 

tmcgee likes this

Hugs for you, Tom! Hopefully they can get you in quickly and get you back on track. 

tmcgee likes this

Oh no! I hope they get you in quickly and fix you up right. So sorry about the pain.

tmcgee likes this

Wishing you all the best, Tom. Pain is for the birds. Hope you get the relief you need so you can be back on your bike soon.

tmcgee likes this

Hope you get some relief Tom, will be thinking about you!

tmcgee likes this

@tmcgee  Well, that sucks.

You're likely to get a lot of advice, most of which is not helpful. In that spirit...

I bought a gizmo that holds my ankles and lets me hand not-quite-upside-down and stretches out the spaces in my spine. For a while when my back was really bad I was using it twice a day. You adjust the device to fit your height and then can tip backwards safely as the bottom things grip onto your ankles.  It helped my sciatica a lot more than the drugs did as they just worked on the pain, not the narrowing. One starts out with just a little bit of lying with your feet higher than your head on an incline and can change the incline as needed or desired. I can hang totally upside down like a bat now. Email me if you want to borrow it.

I also see a spectacular orthobionomist, Cynthia Wood, who works wonders with my back and hip. She has an office in Concord. http://www.ortho-bionomyne.com/

BB

LeeC and tmcgee like this

Hope it gets better Tom!  

tmcgee likes this

I looked into one of those inversion tables a few years ago, only I was too heavy to use it! Might be time to revisit. I did get an appt for the pain management clinic for Tuesday morning, they wouldn't do an epidural on that day, hoping it wouldn't be long afterwards.

BurgundyBoy and NerdyLady like this

Best wishes on getting some relief - that pain is awful! I did the injections for a few years, and finally broke down and got another opinion and had back surgery last March. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself, the pain was gone the moment I woke up from surgery. Of course I had surgical pain, but that is definitely a much different pain. No more numbness, shooting pain from my back to foot, stabbing feeling, could barely walk, etc. I ended up having a fusion of the L4& L5 as well as a Laminectomy which is surgery to remove the lamina  - part of the bone that makes up a vertebra in the spine. Laminectomy may also be done to remove bone spurs in your spine. The procedure can take pressure off your spinal nerves or spinal cord. It changed my life drastically. I was out of work for 6 weeks. I still moved slow for a couple of months, but I also was dragging myself around at my highest weight ever. Obviously surgery is not for every person or situation. But I wanted to give you some feed back on it in the event the cortisone shots don't give you the relief you need. Good luck, Tom....that is a pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy! Take care of yourself!

tmcgee likes this

Hi @tmcgee - I've had issues with sciatica as well.  I found that I really had to be a self-advocate in this situation, more so than any other.  I did quite a bit of PT, saw one chiropractor for some pretty intense adjustments and then saw another one because she had this pressure point gun-kind of thing that she would aim right at the areas in spasm.  I spent a whole summer driving from one appointment to the other, with the lumbar and seat heat on high in my car with the A/C blasting me from the front.  The PT kept telling me no chiro and the chiropractor kept telling me no PT, but whenever I backed off any of them, I started getting worse instead of better.   I truly believe that it was doing all three that helped me improve over quite a period of time.  It's the worst because most meds don't work and it is painful to sit, stand, walk or lay down.  I don't think I slept for about 6 weeks when it was really bad.  Not sure if any of this is helpful, but I've been there too and hope that you get some relief very soon.

tmcgee likes this

Tom, I'm so sorry to hear that you're dealing with sciatica...it's pretty awful. I had the cortisone epidural and it helped mine for a while, but that was years ago. I hope you can get some relief with it! I've got severe spinal stenosis with arthritis and bulging discs along with my sciatica now as well, and I've been considering another epidural cortisone treatment. Please let us know how you make out...I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!! 

tmcgee likes this

2 hours ago, Trish13 said:

Best wishes on getting some relief - that pain is awful! I did the injections for a few years, and finally broke down and got another opinion and had back surgery last March. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself, the pain was gone the moment I woke up from surgery. Of course I had surgical pain, but that is definitely a much different pain. No more numbness, shooting pain from my back to foot, stabbing feeling, could barely walk, etc. I ended up having a fusion of the L4& L5 as well as a Laminectomy which is surgery to remove the lamina  - part of the bone that makes up a vertebra in the spine. Laminectomy may also be done to remove bone spurs in your spine. The procedure can take pressure off your spinal nerves or spinal cord. It changed my life drastically. I was out of work for 6 weeks. I still moved slow for a couple of months, but I also was dragging myself around at my highest weight ever. Obviously surgery is not for every person or situation. But I wanted to give you some feed back on it in the event the cortisone shots don't give you the relief you need. Good luck, Tom....that is a pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy! Take care of yourself!

Thank you, I've had a tiny bit of relief today by maxing out my meds, which I truly hate to take them, it did help at least a little bit, and I'm quite sure hugs from all of the women in this group who have sent me lovely supportive messages would help much more than that! Thank you all, it means a lot to me. I love you all!

LeeC, NerdyLady, Trish13 and 1 other like this

Will let you know, Trish. My consultation is on Tuesday, and I'm hoping the epidural can be next week as well. I hate not being able to work, I'm lucky, I love what I do even after retirement age!

Trish13 and Trish1967 like this

Just now, tmcgee said:

Will let you know, Trish. My consultation is on Tuesday, and I'm hoping the epidural can be next week as well. I hate not being able to work, I'm lucky, I love what I do even after retirement age!

I really hope they can get you in quickly. It really is no fun suffering with sciatica. That's the sucky, sucky part of back pain, etc...not being able to do the things you love that involve mobility. I'm so happy you love what you do, and pray you can get back to it soon!!

tmcgee likes this

Best wishes Tom. Hopefully they can deal with it quickly and get you back to work.

tmcgee likes this

Good luck, Tom--hope things get better soon!

tmcgee likes this

So sorry Tom! Big hug!

tmcgee likes this

I'm so sorry for your health issues Tom. You're an inspiration to us all. I hope you feel better soon.

tmcgee likes this

Ugh! Sciatica is for the birds! And it is no friend to a good night's sleep. Wishing you well, Tom and that you get some relief and get back on your bike!

tmcgee likes this

On 8/16/2017 at 9:26 AM, tmcgee said:

I'm beyond where I want to be, down 5 more pounds in the last couple of weeks, this is primarily because the really bad sciatica I've been dealing with for a couple of weeks makes it sometimes too painful to walk. I've been subscribed T3, then Percocet, as well as a muscled relaxer, the do very little to help. I got a referral to the pain clinic this morning, hope they can fit me in this week.

I'm hanging in, don't really have a choice at the moment. Cortisone epidural fixed it last time and I'm hopeful for another miracle.

I pray you get some relief and soon! I've been struggling with it myself a bit lately, but it's been manageable.

tmcgee likes this

A bit better at the moment, yesterday wasn't too bad, but last night was brutal, despite oxy and codeine, and a heavy duty muscle relaxer. I'm going to beg at my pain clinic appt on Tuesday.