Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swanfray

Is it okay to be able to consume so much?

5 posts in this topic

Maybe I'm overreacting but I had vsg 8/7/17. I couldn't consume more than a few sips or any meds at all without sharp pain the first couple days so my doc gave me a steroid to loosen things up. However now I feel like I can consume any amount without feeling full or feeling like I need to stop. I can drink 6-8 oz of liquid in about 30 minutes no issue as long as I sip slowly and I feel fine afterwords and no restriction. After that I feel like I could even drink more without issue, but of course I don't. Is that a normal feeling? Or could the steroid possibly loosen things up too much?

I never really had any issue drinking normally once I got home.  Having said that, I've never been a chugger or a gulper but I was easily able to drink a cup of fluid in under 10 minutes.

Don't worry about not feeling restriction when drinking fluids.  The sleeve/pouch is pretty much nothing more than a funnel and if you do drink too much in one go, it'll just back up into your throat (an interesting feeling).

27 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I never really had any issue drinking normally once I got home.  Having said that, I've never been a chugger or a gulper but I was easily able to drink a cup of fluid in under 10 minutes.

Don't worry about not feeling restriction when drinking fluids.  The sleeve/pouch is pretty much nothing more than a funnel and if you do drink too much in one go, it'll just back up into your throat (an interesting feeling).

Thank you, that puts me at ease

Posted (edited)

I had the same surgery on the same day. I am drinking 3L (100oz) of water, electrolyte replacement drinks, and small amounts of broth daily.

this morning for example I drank 750ml in the first hour I was awake. My understanding is that fluids pass quickly and it's good for your body to cleanse.

hope his helps

Edited by OkieLoser
Added details
swanfray likes this

45 minutes ago, OkieLoser said:

I had the same surgery on the same day. I am drinking 3L (100oz) of water, electrolyte replacement drinks, and small amounts of broth daily.

this morning for example I drank 750ml in the first hour I was awake. My understanding is that fluids pass quickly and it's good for your body to cleanse.

hope his helps

Yeah that's really helpful. I read about people struggling with 4 oz an hour and I was thinking something was wrong. I had to get it in my head that fluids do pass quicker. Thank you 

Jen581791 and OkieLoser like this