Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MCJB

Self Pay - What about possible complications?

5 posts in this topic

Hello!

I am heading towards bypass surgery, and I am self pay.  I am concerned about what will happen if I have any complications.  Will my insurance cover?

Anyone else have this same issue?

Thanks!!

I'd recommend a discussion with your insurance to be sure, because I have no doubt that there are certain insurances that would argue about their responsibility to pay.

However, in most cases, if you have emergent complications, like strictures, leaks, obstructions, etc, those will be covered as they are emergencies, regardless of the cause. 

I second the above advice.  I was considering self-pay because although my insurance at the time did allow gastric bypass, they had a two year waiting period to get it and I didn't want to wait that long. I had picked out a place in Mexico to have it done, and honestly that was my biggest source of concern and question, was what about any complications directly related to the surgery, when I got back to the US. I suspect @delilasis correct that emergency type stuff would be covered.

Many of our members have had surgery abroad, perhaps they have some good insight as well.

Best of luck to you!

BurgundyBoy likes this

Thanks for the responses!  I ended up doing some research and found a clinic near me that covers complications for a period of time.  I feel much more comfortable with eliminating that risk!!

1 minute ago, MCJB said:

Thanks for the responses!  I ended up doing some research and found a clinic near me that covers complications for a period of time.  I feel much more comfortable with eliminating that risk!!

I'd still have a talk with your existing surgery. Like @delilas Ithink your basic insurance should cover complications, need for hospitalization if you get dehydrated or need intravenous feeding after a complication like a stricture, etc. Even if you go with the clinic you mention above, would be prudent to know about your basic coverage. Best wishes and hope this is not so hard to find out...