swanfray

Sources of protein early out

15 posts in this topic

I'm in the full liquid stage so I've been drinking protein shakes to meet the requirements but it makes me so sick (nausea, cramps). I feel sick both during and after consuming it. I have a protein goal of 60 per day. I'm mixing whey protein with 6 oz of liquid and sipping that. I can suck it up and drink one of these a day but I just can't stomach the thought of having to drink another one later. it gives me 30 grams of protein. Is there anything else I can consume during this stage to get the other half of my protein in? 

Milk is always one of my go-to's if I need to give my protein intake a little bump.  It has around 8g protein per cup.

Check around for bottled Nature's Best® Isopure Zero Carb (GNC and the like).  They're a little strong for my taste as is but diluted 50:50 with water (and ice if you want) I was able to sip them all day long.  

I found them a little easier to get down early out than the powdered protein.  It comes in 20 oz bottles (40g protein) and 6-pack 8 oz (15g protein) bottles.

tracyringo likes this

11 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Milk is always one of my go-to's if I need to give my protein intake a little bump.  It has around 8g protein per cup.

Check around for bottled Nature's Best® Isopure Zero Carb (GNC and the like).  They're a little strong for my taste as is but diluted 50:50 with water (and ice if you want) I was able to sip them all day long.  

I found them a little easier to get down early out than the powdered protein.  It comes in 20 oz bottles (40g protein) and 6-pack 8 oz (15g protein) bottles.

Thank you, definitely going to look for that today. 

tracyringo likes this

Chicken bone broth (most protein of all the types if broth) plus chicken bouillon & spices to make it taste good really helped me hit my protein numbers.

tracyringo, ikantspel and swanfray like this

@Gretta so you just boiled chicken then added boullion ?

@swanfray I am also having problems getting in my protein.  I think I will start drinking skim milk too and make the stuff Gretta is talking about.  I had 2 oz of Greek yogurt for breakfast. It has about 5 grams of protein for those 2 oz I think.  I will have to re check. Fit and light vanilla Greek yogurt is the bomb.  Can hardly wait to have cottage cheese !

swanfray likes this

If milk is going down okay, I think I read on Eggface's blog about making "double milk" by adding powdered milk to skim to boost up the protein. Never tried it but it might work for you. 

swanfray and tracyringo like this

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, tracyringo said:

@Gretta so you just boiled chicken then added boullion ?

You have way more confidence in me than I deserve. I just bought the bone broth ;).  It does need spices & stuff to make it yummy, though.

Edited by Gretta
tracyringo likes this

8 hours ago, swanfray said:

I'm in the full liquid stage so I've been drinking protein shakes to meet the requirements but it makes me so sick (nausea, cramps). I feel sick both during and after consuming it. I have a protein goal of 60 per day. I'm mixing whey protein with 6 oz of liquid and sipping that. I can suck it up and drink one of these a day but I just can't stomach the thought of having to drink another one later. it gives me 30 grams of protein. Is there anything else I can consume during this stage to get the other half of my protein in? 

You should try different kinds of protein-oriented drinks until you find one that tastes good to you. It will be very difficult to reach your protein goals in the first few weeks after surgery without drinking protein shakes, whether pre-made or mix your own type. I like the Premier premade type, which has 30 grams of protein while being low carb, low fat and relatively low calorie (160 calories), and still drink a chocolate one about every day just because I like the taste. It also comes in vanilla and strawberry flavors.

tracyringo and swanfray like this

@Gretta where do you buy bone broth ? 

I buy mine at Sprouts Market, but they have it all over the place. The more "health-oriented" the store, the more likely they have it.

tracyringo likes this

Thanks !

I was having a really terrible time with protein drinks. Even Premier Protein was just too sweet and thick for me. About a month ago someone on the forum wrote about Syntrax Nectar protein powders.  What a game changer for me. Lemon tea and Fuzzy Navel are the only ones I have had so far but they are great. Actally hydrating and getting my protein at the same time. I do two scoops in about 32 to 40 ounces of water. That ends up being 40 grams of protein. I feel so much better getting my protein now. 

swanfray likes this

I'm getting on for 10 years post-WLS and as I eat fish and shrimp but no meat, meeting my protein goal is nigh on impossible so I use a protein shake (or half of one) daily. 

I still choose Syntrax Nectar over everything else.  But I'm a shake type flavour girl and  mix the Syntrax with milk so that increases the protein to 31g for one serving.

swanfray likes this

1 hour ago, Dvldog760 said:

I was having a really terrible time with protein drinks. Even Premier Protein was just too sweet and thick for me. About a month ago someone on the forum wrote about Syntrax Nectar protein powders.  What a game changer for me. Lemon tea and Fuzzy Navel are the only ones I have had so far but they are great. Actally hydrating and getting my protein at the same time. I do two scoops in about 32 to 40 ounces of water. That ends up being 40 grams of protein. I feel so much better getting my protein now. 

Thanks! Another one to check out