Sally L

Dealing with Emotional Eating

3 posts in this topic

HI All,

I know that I am an emotional eater. I was wondering if anybody has some good ideas on how to deal with emotional eating after bypass surgery?  Thanks

Many, if not most, of us here at TTF were emotional eaters.  We ate food for comfort, to get over emotional pain, and to make ourselves feel better.  Weight loss surgery forces you to eat a fairly strict diet, especially for the first few months, and that is a great time to adjust to the idea that unhealthy food is not a source of comfort, but instead is the cause of being overweight and all the problems that go with this.

Everyone gets rid of their prior bad food habit in their own way.  Some people go to therapy.  For me it was the realization that food was not my friend and was not a long term source of comfort.  Instead food was the source of my being grossly overweight and unhealthy.  When I had my surgery, I told myself that a failure to lose all of my excess weight and keep it off was not an option, and thus I have adjusted to a healthy diet (with a little chocolate each day since life without chocolate is just unacceptable to me :D).  I truly do not miss my old unhealthy diet and wonder why I ever allowed myself to view food as a source of emotional support.

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

We are here to support you.

Aussie H, Jen581791, Sally L and 1 other like this

Thanks, I love "Nothing takes as good as skinny feels" that really resonates with me.

Res Ipsa likes this