Jen581791

Why does fish give me problems?

17 posts in this topic

Tonight I had fish troubles (again). I ate only 2 ounces. I ate tiny bites. I chewed them to smithereens. I ate very slowly. I was super careful. Thank goodness I stopped when I did: immediately afterwards I got that tight, stuck, painful feeling and lots of saliva in my mouth. After taking papaya enzymes, it wasn't getting better so I... forced the issue. Up came fish. Problem solved. 

This is the third time this has happened, and it's always after fish. The fish seemed soft and moist and it chewed up easily. I was SO careful. I guess at least I know better out than in now so I didn't suffer for very long.

Am I doing something wrong? Did I anger Poseidon in a previous life? Have I forgotten how to eat properly? Will this go away? Will I always have to be careful of fish? Are the vegetarian gods angry and want me to go back to not eating fish?

tmcgee likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't offer any advice Jen other than to give fish a break for a while, try again and see if things are different.

Jen581791 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have trouble with meat, fish, and eggs some of the time, other times it's fine. I do chew it to mush.

Jen581791 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weirdly, I can't deal with farmed fish, like tilapia and salmon. I grew up eating fish regularly, but for the last few years unless I can confirm it was wild caught fish, it is not worth the crazy GI upset. I wonder if its possible its a specific type of fish for you, or possibly something like mine, where you are sensitive to the chemicals or feed from the farming pools?

Jen581791 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, delilas said:

Weirdly, I can't deal with farmed fish, like tilapia and salmon. I grew up eating fish regularly, but for the last few years unless I can confirm it was wild caught fish, it is not worth the crazy GI upset. I wonder if its possible its a specific type of fish for you, or possibly something like mine, where you are sensitive to the chemicals or feed from the farming pools?

Hmm. Food (or not depending on how you feel about fish) for thought. The tilapia was for sure farmed since it almost always is, but the first offender was salmon caught by my nephew earlier in the day. That's not to say it wasn't full of chemicals, of course.

I do fine with shrimp, though, which is often farmed, too. 

I think I'm taking a break from fish, as suggested by @cinwa

delilas likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Hope that turns around for you in time Jen.  I feel like I live on fish atm...

Edited by TammyP
Jen581791 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fish can be a very dense and dry food, and extra chewing will not change this.  Next time you may want to try a few sips of water when you eat fish.

Jen581791 and tmcgee like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

Fish can be a very dense and dry food, and extra chewing will not change this.  Next time you may want to try a few sips of water when you eat fish.

I'm wondering if sauce might help. I might give a saucy fish dish a go before giving up completely. 

tmcgee likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I'm wondering if sauce might help. I might give a saucy fish dish a go before giving up completely. 

Yes, try a nice sauce (without cream of course) with your fish.  Maybe a spicy tomato based sauce. 

Jen581791 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh...I'm so sorry you're having fish troubles :( I wish I had some advice. The only things that I can't seem to tolerate right now are beef and now chicken meatballs (which I tolerated very well the first couple of times I ate them). I gave them both up for now, and plan to try again in a couple of months. If saucing your fish doesn't help, it might be time to take a break from it for a while. It's not worth eating it if you're going to continuing to throw it up. ❤️ Hope you're feeling better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I'm wondering if sauce might help. I might give a saucy fish dish a go before giving up completely. 

Sauce definitely helps, I typically use cocktail sauce, and I never have trouble with chowder.

Jen581791 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Yes, try a nice sauce (without cream of course) with your fish.  Maybe a spicy tomato based sauce. 

Why not cream?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's the vegetarian gods.

Jen581791 and tmcgee like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tmcgee said:
On 8/11/2017 at 1:23 PM, Res Ipsa said:

Yes, try a nice sauce (without cream of course) with your fish.  Maybe a spicy tomato based sauce. 

Why not cream?

Until one reaches one's goal weight, having calorie rich foods such as cream seems unwise (although, to be honest, I had occasional cups of both clam chowder and lobster bisque in the months after my gastric bypass since I'm from Boston and that's what we eat. :D).

Jen581791 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jen581791 That sounds awful and familiar. For some reason, i cannot eat tilapia or salmon. It upsets my pouch and I regret m meal for hours afterwards. I've had luck with cod and I've been making a lot of fish soup. It's stinky but goes down very well. I hope you feel better and figure out this mystery quickly. I'll send Scooby Doo!

Jen581791 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

@Jen581791 That sounds awful and familiar. For some reason, i cannot eat tilapia or salmon. It upsets my pouch and I regret m meal for hours afterwards. I've had luck with cod and I've been making a lot of fish soup. It's stinky but goes down very well. I hope you feel better and figure out this mystery quickly. I'll send Scooby Doo!

I definitely draw the line at Scooby snacks. Way too dry.

NerdyLady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2017 at 2:47 PM, Res Ipsa said:

Until one reaches one's goal weight, having calorie rich foods such as cream seems unwise (although, to be honest, I had occasional cups of both clam chowder and lobster bisque in the months after my gastric bypass since I'm from Boston and that's what we eat. :D).

@Res Ipsa I was in Maine for a few days and was tempted to get a bowl of lobster stew. It wasn't called chowdah ;) , so I assumed it was tomato based. When I asked the waiter what was in the soup he said, "literally nothing but cream, butter and lobster". My poor pouch shrank and I sadly whispered, "no thank you". :D

 

 

Jen581791 and Res Ipsa like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now