Trish1967

Possible lactose intolerance?

20 posts in this topic

Sorry I've been MIA for a few days, guys. I've been dealing with a lot of depression (not related to surgery). Hopefully I'll be my usual pain in the butt self and be back soon. But I need some help.

I'm wondering if any of you can explain to me what lactose intolerance feels like? Tonight I had some yogurt. It's only the second time since surgery that I've had any. The first time was a few days ago, and it was Dannon lite and fit cherry flavor. I felt fine after I ate it. Tonight, I tried Oikos triple zero Greek yogurt, salted caramel flavor. I have a lot of pain and bloating in my belly and I feel a lot of "gurgling" in there, like it's filled with a ton of gas. No nausea or anything like that. I eat cheese on a regular basis, and I don't have any trouble with that. All of my food from earlier in the day went down with no problems. I've heard a lot of you say you developed lactose issues post op, and didn't know if this sounds like that. Any help appreciated! I hope you are all doing well ❤️

NerdyLady likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry about the depression.

The culprit might be the chicory in the Oikos. It can cause gas. I've heard other people have this specific complaint about Oikos before.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/oikos-triple-zero-yogurt-alert.3522563/

Edited by Gretta

My understanding is that lactose intolerance does not typically apply to yogurt and particularly not greek yogurt as the whey is strained out of greek yogurt.  It would be things like milk, butter, cheese, ice cream, at least this is what I've read.  That is interesting about the chicory...

Jen581791 and Trish1967 like this

Thank you, @Gretta :) I'll probably steer clear of Oikos from now on. I didn't know about the chicory :( 

delilas likes this

Thank you, @kayak19...I'm glad to know it's probably not lactose related. I don't drink milk but I love cheese, and I'd hate to have to give it up.

Posted (edited)

@Gretta, is that link related to WLS patients? Just curious...I used to live on Oikos prior to WLS, and never had a problem before. 

Edit: I read further into the forum and see that they are definitely not WLS patients, lol. Thank you so much for the info though...I will not be buying any more Oikos, for sure. Too bad though, it tasted really good, before the pain started. 

Edited by Trish1967

Definitely not WLS people. How interesting that it used to be fine for you. Every day's an adventure for us, huh?

3 hours ago, Gretta said:

Definitely not WLS people. How interesting that it used to be fine for you. Every day's an adventure for us, huh?

Adventure is right! I guess I'm lucky, if that's the only thing that has really changed since surgery. My tastes and and tolerances for food (except beef) are pretty much the same. And I like all of the same foods I liked pre op. Now that I think about it, Oikos might have caused a little gas pre op, but it wasn't painful or bothersome before. Now that my stomach is tiny, I'm sure that's why it was so bad. No more Oikos for me!

Gretta likes this

So crazy! I have noticed that there is something in Greek Yogurt and in Halo Top that has a strange effect on me. My throat gets extremely itchy/scratchy when I have either. I thought it was maybe a lactose thing, but I have cheese everyday and it doesn't have this side effect.

Trish1967 likes this

Just now, Smashlee83 said:

So crazy! I have noticed that there is something in Greek Yogurt and in Halo Top that has a strange effect on me. My throat gets extremely itchy/scratchy when I have either. I thought it was maybe a lactose thing, but I have cheese everyday and it doesn't have this side effect.

I'm sorry you have issues too...itchy/scratchy throat doesn't sound like fun. I loved Oikos, so it sucks that I have to give it up. But there are a lot worse things in the world, right? I've only tried one bite of Halo Top that my hubby bought for himself, so idk if that bothers me or not. I'm trying to wait until I'm further out to have that, as ice cream is a trigger food for me, lol. It wasn't bad, though :) 

I became lactose intolerant for a while early post-op but had no problem with the Greek yogurt I ate although I ate plain FAGE 2%.

Trish1967 likes this

Just now, cinwa said:

I became lactose intolerant for a while early post-op but had no problem with the Greek yogurt I ate although I ate plain FAGE 2%.

I love Fage yogurt, but I still can't stomach the taste of it plain. If I was to use it as sour cream, with salt and pepper, it's ok like that...but I don't eat potatoes anymore, so no need for sour cream, lol :) Are you still lactose intolerant?

13 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

I love Fage yogurt, but I still can't stomach the taste of it plain. If I was to use it as sour cream, with salt and pepper, it's ok like that...but I don't eat potatoes anymore, so no need for sour cream, lol :) Are you still lactose intolerant?

I've been mixing 3 oz of plain with 1 oz of unsweetened applesauce and a little cinnamon.  Tastes pretty good - I've ordered some Barlean's Digestive Blend to sprinkle on top for some omega 3s, etc.  But I've not really had a problem with plain yogurt before, so I get it if it doesn't work for some.

8 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

..... Are you still lactose intolerant?

No - that disappeared within a few months and basically it was just regular milk and whey protein so I switch to Spirutein (soy) protein powder and used Lactaid milk. Greek yogurt caused no problem (probably because during the production of Greek yogurt, regular yogurt is strained several times to remove the whey).  And I had no problem with cheese either.

Trish1967 likes this

20 minutes ago, cinwa said:

No - that disappeared within a few months and basically it was just regular milk and whey protein so I switch to Spirutein (soy) protein powder and used Lactaid milk. Greek yogurt caused no problem (probably because during the production of Greek yogurt, regular yogurt is strained several times to remove the whey).  And I had no problem with cheese either.

I'm glad to hear that you're not lactose intolerant any longer :) 

26 minutes ago, kayak19 said:

I've been mixing 3 oz of plain with 1 oz of unsweetened applesauce and a little cinnamon.  Tastes pretty good - I've ordered some Barlean's Digestive Blend to sprinkle on top for some omega 3s, etc.  But I've not really had a problem with plain yogurt before, so I get it if it doesn't work for some.

I've never thought of mixing it with applesauce and cinnamon. I'll give that a try, once my stomach settles down. No pain today, but still a lot of gurgling and gas... *sigh* 

kayak19 likes this

Trish - if that problem continues, it might be worth trying Lactaid - they do a chewable form if you'd prefer.

Trish1967 likes this

Thank you, @cinwa :) I'll remember that. Gonna stay away from yogurt until my stomach feels better.

I've been lactose intolerant my whole life and sadly, yogurt goes not agree with my stomach. I feel gurgles in my tummy and fart so much, you'd think a train was barreling through your house. Hopefully, this is just a temporary thing and it will pass. 

Boo to depression. BOOOO!

I'm sorry to hear that you're lactose intolerant, @NerdyLady. I might have gotten the teeniest bit gassy in the past with yogurt, but nothing like this. It's been relentless since I ate that yogurt, and it's getting worse. If I could pass gas like that right now, I'd be thrilled. If I do pass any right now, it's not much, and it doesn't make me feel better. Neither does having a BM. So frustrated! 

The depression...boo is right!! My doctor's office got me an appointment on THE 23rd, so I can finally get my dose of lamictal increased. This is one of the many reasons I am switching PCP's as soon as possible. I'm an established patient at that office since 2011, but since my doctor is out on maternity leave, they are treating me like a new patient and making me wait to see a different doctor in the practice. I'd go see my psych doc, but he retired, and there is a 3 month wait to see the new one...UGH!! 

Edited by Trish1967
Jen581791 likes this