New to the forum after having surgery on Monday. I decided I needed to join a group to bounce questions and get general support.

Stats: 6'3" , 345 starting weight (322) at surgery day. I had the laparoscopic sleeve done.

Monday and Tuesday were bad days in the hospital. I had the usual regret/what was I thinking discussions. Now I am home and recovering. I haven't had anything solid or nutritional since Saturday. Surgeon said I may not want protein shakes for a while but to keep up with my 96oz of recommended fluid. I've been able to do that by usually 6pm in the evenings. I still hope it gets easier.

I am doing good, lots of walking, hydrating and passing painful gas. Been off of pain meds since Tuesday night and I don't think I will be going back to them as I am doing well except for the soreness in my stomach muscles from the laparoscopic ports.

looking forward to lots of reading and the inevitable rehash of things that get discussed many times (yes I'll read the sticky posts)

Welcome and congratulations on your successful surgery.  Glad to hear you are doing so well!

Welcome to Thinner Times - sounds like you're off to a good start.

Have you tried warm broths or strained soups?

10 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Welcome to Thinner Times - sounds like you're off to a good start.

Have you tried warm broths or strained soups?

I tried some beef broth in the hospital and it was bad. I have not tried any strained soups although I was told by my dietician that I could. I may drive up and grab some tomorrow. Honestly, after focusing on fluid, I'm too full to mess with anything else. I know the dangers of dehydration and want to focus on making sure I get the habit of hydration early on.

@OkieLoser Welcome to the thinner times family.  I just came home this morning, had my surgery yesterday the pain was and is worse then I had expected. Hoping the gas will be gone tomorrow it is better then this morning. I have not done as well with fluid intake as I did yesterday. I will work on it better tomorrow. Hydration first. I have no interest in food and no hunger pains so happy about this.  How a out you?

The broth I was served in the hospital was SO salty I really did not enjoy it. I like the plan of having broth as the main part of my liquid needs for the day because I can stir in some powder and therefore I get protein as I am getting in my liquid.  

I had my surgery done the same day as you did.  Happy Travels to you as we go forward.

8 hours ago, tracyringo said:

@OkieLoser Welcome to the thinner times family.  I just came home this morning, had my surgery yesterday the pain was and is worse then I had expected. Hoping the gas will be gone tomorrow it is better then this morning. I have not done as well with fluid intake as I did yesterday. I will work on it better tomorrow. Hydration first. I have no interest in food and no hunger pains so happy about this.  How a out you?

I walked immediately when I got back to my room, I could barely stand and was dripping with sweat. The surgeon and nurses I know said those that do the best are the ones that walk and drink, so that's what I did.

i have small hunger pains but they go away with water consumption. I wil be drinking some broth today just to add some sodium into my diet. I've been getting 50% of my fluids from electrolyte replacement fluids.

59 minutes ago, Cadoodle said:

The broth I was served in the hospital was SO salty I really did not enjoy it. I like the plan of having broth as the main part of my liquid needs for the day because I can stir in some powder and therefore I get protein as I am getting in my liquid.  

I had my surgery done the same day as you did.  Happy Travels to you as we go forward.

I purchased the reduced sodium broth for home use. I need to pick up some protein powder.

5 minutes ago, OkieLoser said:

I purchased the reduced sodium broth for home use. I need to pick up some protein powder.

Using bone broth can help you get some protein in as well.  When I was on clear liquids, the first few spoonfuls didn't taste that great to me so, like @Gretta I added a few herbs and a little Better Than Bouillon that I had on hand and then it tasted great and I was starting to get some protein.  I never tried adding the protein powder but that seems to have worked for many, like @Cadoodle mentioned.

Congrats and welcome!

Yes, I added Unjury unflavored protein powder to veggie broth @OkieLoser. Just be sure you don't add the protein powders to hot liquid as they do this disgusting curdling. 

Thanks for all of the advice, starting to have some hunger today. Had 240ml of chicken broth warm. 

My wife is picking up some SF kool-aid and CF tea for me to mix up in my fluids. I still have until Monday Aug 21st until I can start on the soft foods like Greek Yogurt and a scrambled egg.

any other suggestions for making it through the next 10 days?

If you're on clear liquids, along with what you're already drinking, my programme lists sugar free popsicles, apple and grape juice (diluted 50:50 with water), and sugar free jello (which was a life-saver for me).

already doing the popsicles, they are a great break to the day. Will look into jello

Awesome, we had the same surgery date and the same surgery. I have tea, broth, jello, ice pops, and protein powders but for some reason my new stomach doesn't like jello. But I've been sticking with diluted apple juice, water, and veggie broth. Are you on full liquids yet? Today I started and I've been sipping my first protein shake. They're not bad with unsweetened almond cashew milk. Congrats and I hope we both come out successful!

Our world certainly takes a turn for the better when we're cleared for full liquids:  strained low-fat cream soups, sugar free puddings, protein shakes, and yogurt etc. etc.

im on a modified liquid diet. I don't get SF pudding and such until Aug 21. Mainly electrolyte replacement drinks and water. Sips of protein drinks and broths. I can have strained  soups as well.

3 hours ago, swanfray said:

Awesome, we had the same surgery date and the same surgery. I have tea, broth, jello, ice pops, and protein powders but for some reason my new stomach doesn't like jello. But I've been sticking with diluted apple juice, water, and veggie broth. Are you on full liquids yet? Today I started and I've been sipping my first protein shake. They're not bad with unsweetened almond cashew milk. Congrats and I hope we both come out successful!

I'll have to inquire about the cashew milk, I'd love to mix my protein shakes with it.

11 minutes ago, OkieLoser said:

I'll have to inquire about the cashew milk, I'd love to mix my protein shakes with it.

Early out, we need to be looking at the protein content and as much as I love cashew and other milk from nuts, with < 1g protein per cup, I had to put it on the back burner until I was able to meet my protein goals. 

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

Early out, we need to be looking at the protein content and as much as I love cashew and other milk from nuts, with < 1g protein per cup, I had to put it on the back burner until I was able to meet my protein goals. 

I would only use it to mix my protein shakes. I wouldn't drink it as fluid.

I was cleared for 2 weeks of full liquids immediately after surgery.  I having tomato soup with skim milk for dinner 4oz and taken me an 30 min to finish.

11 hours ago, tracyringo said:

I was cleared for 2 weeks of full liquids immediately after surgery.  I having tomato soup with skim milk for dinner 4oz and taken me an 30 min to finish.

Wow, that sounds delicious 

@OkieLoser I didn't have any problems with the tomato soup, but after I ate it I ran across something saying not to have tomato.  Oops hope they didn't mean soup too.! So I go in for my 1 week check up Tuesday and I will ask.  Guess I can freeze the rest until then.

Just now, tracyringo said:

@OkieLoser I didn't have any problems with the tomato soup, but after I ate it I ran across something saying not to have tomato.  Oops hope they didn't mean soup too.! So I go in for my 1 week check up Tuesday and I will ask.  Guess I can freeze the rest until then.

I'm sure it's meaning the raw tomato with seeds.

6 minutes ago, tracyringo said:

Tomato soup can be very acidic. Many programs don't allow it for the first few weeks. If you're not having problems with acid, I wouldn't worry too much. You may want to add milk to your soup to counteract some of the acid.

Thanks for the information @Gretta.

4 hours ago, tracyringo said:

I also had tomato soup yesterday. I drank 5 oz of it and it went down well. I didn't know tomato soup was an issue so thanks for bringing that up. It was delicious but not worth any issues lol I may try mixing it with milk like you did if I do try it again

Edited by swanfray