Trish13

Update...

So I had my endoscope today and there's no blockage, but there's a lot of internal swelling at the initial surgery site which also has a bunch of irritation surrounding. Everything was open and looked good, outside of the swelling, so that means no stricture...YAY! What it does mean is that it's extremely irritated & swollen most likely due from low volume of protein and dehydration. They suspect it's just taking me longer to heal than most people. Eating food right now will cause more swelling and then adding a lot of fluids on top of it just expanded that feeling causing my issues I had on Tuesday. To boot I was very constipated per the CAT scan,  although I didn't feel that way. Sooo now I'm officially on a PICC line with tpn nutrition. Still having some discomfort and nausea but he said that's to be expected. I'm supposed to go on liquids for a couple days, along with the tpn, to alleviate any added aggravation. Then maybe Sunday/Monday I can start introducing soft foods like cottage cheese, hummus, tuna salad - things like that. Anticipated time for TPN nutrition right now is 2 weeks - it could possibly be 3 weeks if it takes longer to hit my intake by mouth daily fluid (64oz) and protein (80) goals. Looks like the earliest I could go back to work is Monday - hoping I feel good enough to do so.

Thanks for the update. The swelling is causing the nausea? Or the constipation? So sorry this takes weeks to fix. Such a bummer. Glad you're in good hands.

Great news that you don't have a stricture Trish.  Fingers crossed that it all settles down soon.

Yes, glad to hear that it wasn't worse and that they have a good plan for you.  I hope you are starting to feel better.

4 hours ago, Gretta said:

Thanks for the update. The swelling is causing the nausea? Or the constipation? So sorry this takes weeks to fix. Such a bummer. Glad you're in good hands.

@Gretta  The swelling is causing the food to not want to go down easily, which in return causes the food to be stuck resulting in pain and nausea. From what I understand, it's causing my system to try to work too hard and seems to be my bodies reaction...lucky me! Lol! :blink:

@Trish13 Sorry to hear you are having these problems.  Hang in there, the best is yet to come for all of us and our weight loss journey.

48 minutes ago, Trish13 said:

@Gretta  The swelling is causing the food to not want to go down easily, which in return causes the food to be stuck resulting in pain and nausea. From what I understand, it's causing my system to try to work too hard and seems to be my bodies reaction...lucky me! Lol! :blink:

Ugh. I'm so sorry that's happening. The one time you'd rather not be a "swell gal". ;)

Hope you feel better soon!

I'm glad you've got your questions answered and it's not a serious problem. I hope it's over soon and you can start getting back to normal!

I'm sorry you're having troubles, Trish, but so glad it's not a stricture! I hope you start feeling better soon ❤️

5 hours ago, CurvyMermaid said:

@Trish13 - THE LIQUID DIET QUEEN. Where did I put that crown....? :D

Girl....you can keep that crown...lol...ugh!! :rolleyes:

I just made some ricotta bake and enjoying it, but it's amazing how slow it's going down. I feel hungry, but the desire to actually eat is not there. Good thing this tastes so delicious. I got about 1/8 of a cup down. Guess I'll save the rest and try again later. My daughter is begging me for some, so I might give to her...lol! 

Good for you, @Trish13! Home and eating. Hooray!

6 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Good for you, @Trish13! Home and eating. Hooray!

Thanks Gretta. Hopefully it will stay down ok. If so, I'm most likely on the right road. It did taste delicious, I have to say. I even put a bit of shredded chicken in the ricotta bake to slightly increase the protein. I'm ready to get this issue behind me and start losing again. Im so bloated from the IV fluids/TPN, so I'm pretty sure my weight is up. I just put the scale up until I get rid of the Picc line - no sense of frustrating myself even more ;)

@Trish13 glad you're feeling a bit better and that the ricotta bake is tasty. A nice change from all-liquids, for sure. 

Keep in mind that fluids from surgery and IV go away pretty quickly. Probably best to keep that scale locked away for the moment :) Don't get discouraged over fluid retention! 

I can hardly wait to try the ricotta bake !  When are you allowed that ?

With the bypass, my progress was clears, protein drinks, purees, and then soft foods and that's when I could do the ricotta bake...was very good.

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!

How are you feeling this today Trish?

9 hours ago, cinwa said:

How are you feeling this today Trish?

@cinwa......Not doing so hot today....just feel so tired and week. I did make it to church, but that sucked up all my energy. Had some chicken breast earlier today and some cream of wheat about a half hour ago. I need more protein, but I just don't have the energy to really eat - nor the desire. Hoping tomorrow is better. Going to talk a small walk to see if it helps at all. Been taking SennaS but still no BM since Thursday, so I'm sure that's not helping my cause. I have a serious craving for a taco or fajitas with some guacamole....if that was sitting in front of me, I might actually try it...lol! 

Hi Trish, sorry to hear you're not feeling so great today.  I was back on regular foods starting this week and along with that came constipation.  I tried the Smooth Move tea and drinking hot water with lemon with minimal success.  My dr swears by drinking a few oz of warm prune juice and I have to say it was very effective.  I drank 4 today and it worked pretty quickly and then I could get going with the rest of my day, not like some remedies that tie you to the bathroom all day.

I was craving the same one day and I made taco meat with a little cheese, salsa and guacamole, kind of a taco bowl.  Just no shell or wrap; pretty satisfying.  I know the guacamole might have put me over on calories, but I figured it was a healthy fat and I'm okay with that once in awhile.  I whizzed up the meat a little in my mini food processor to make sure it was small enough as it was when I was on soft foods.  Not sure if you can eat all those things right now, just thought I'd share in case.  Avocados are high in fiber too :rolleyes:

Thanks @kayak19! I don't know why I keep forgetting about Smooth Move tea I used it all during my pregnancy and it was amazing and tastes good. I will have to pick some up the next time I'm at Wegmans grocery store. 

We went to Chili's a couple days before I went back into the hospital and I ate some chicken fajitas and they were SO amazing. The waitress was so sweet she gave me double pico & guac. I had at least 3 or 4 meals left out of the leftovers which I was super excited about. Sadly it's in my lunch box at work and gone bad now :(. Hubby was talking about going out for a date night this Sat if I feel strong enough. That's pretty good incentive Because he is tempting me with either our favorite mom & pop Mexican place or Longhorn steakhouse (I love their shrimp and salmon! Too nervous to try my beloved steak...lol). So hoping a night with my guy and no kids will give me the inspiration to push through this week. Not only am I dealing with the food issues, I'm starting to get down on myself and have high regret for the surgery that is creeping in many times a day lately.

I'm super glad to hear you are doing so good! Proud of you!! Thanks for always checking in, it truly means a lot! 

2 minutes ago, Trish13 said:

Not only am I dealing with the food issues, I'm starting to get down on myself and have high regret for the surgery that is creeping in many times a day lately.

I'm super glad to hear you are doing so good! Proud of you!! Thanks for always checking in, it truly means a lot! 

You've had some extra struggles to be sure, but your positive attitude always comes through.  When you're feeling down, go back and look at those side by side selfies...your progress is evident even this early on!  We can do it!

@Trish13 Im wishing you the best. This is a difficult bump in the road and I don't want you to lose sight of your long term dream. Even though it's early days, your weight loss is noticeable. You are on your way to a healthier you. xo

Checking in to see how you're doing today Trish.