Chessboard

Alcohol habit and band surgery - please help

On 9/1/2017 at 2:54 PM, Chessboard said:

Yes I think I'll keep it quiet. I agree it seems like a cop out to the outsider. Does anyone know what the blood tests prior to surgery are for? 

You are having elective surgery. The blood work is to screen for unexpected things that might make the low risk of elective surgery higher. They look for anemia, low platelet counts that in turn relate to how well your blood clots, screen for kidney disease, liver function, clotting capacity, things like that. Nothing very fancy but also nothing that isn't reasonable. The insurance companies in the US will not pay for exotic tests with a low payoff. On the other hand, no surgeon in his or her right mind would operate without knowing these tests are ok, it's essentially malpractice here not to screen for complicating factors. 

You may have some vitamin levels checked too - again screening for the most common "silent" nutrition deficiencies. 

If they tested me for any of my youthful indiscretions with drugs, sex, and rock and roll, they didn't find any. Whew. I mean, they could have just asked me ... and I would have lied, like any normal adult of my age, and denied my sex addiction, my use of all known drugs back in the day, and great taste in music. So, more seriously, I don't think testing for current drug use or sexually transmitted diseases is common. I think it is assumed your psych screening and primary care doc can handle those. 

24 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

If they tested me for any of my youthful indiscretions with drugs, sex, and rock and roll, they didn't find any. Whew. I mean, they could have just asked me ... and I would have lied, like any normal adult of my age, and denied my sex addiction, my use of all known drugs back in the day, and great taste in music. 

Never, ever deny your great taste in music! :D

4 minutes ago, Stephtay said:

Never, ever deny your great taste in music! :D

You may depend upon it. One must have standards, after all. -_-