delilas

Bariatric NP said something that's still bothering me...

9 posts in this topic

A couple weeks ago, I got my first meeting with the bariatric NP to go through my initial pre-op screenings and blood work. 

During her introductory spiel, she mentioned, "Expect 6 months of weight loss with the sleeve, and 12 months of weight loss with the bypass."

This isn't something I've really seen mentioned anywhere else, and it's been bothering the loving heck out of me. I've been planning on the sleeve, but I'll be damned if I'm going through an operation to only have 6 months of weight loss.

I'm assuming she is more referring to "honeymoon period" of easier loss, but as I've started to waffle a lot about which surgery to choose, it's stuck hard in my mind. Any thoughts?

I cannot speak for people who have had the sleeve, but my gastric bypass honeymoon period lasted about a year after my surgery and allowed me to reach my goal weight fairly easily. 

delilas likes this

What an absolutely ridiculous statement. There's nothing to support it. My surgeon's office said sleevers lose more slowly and to not be surprised if the weight loss phase takes 18 months. I would encourage you to tell your surgeon you were told this by the NP to get more clarity and possibly to get her to stop spreading nonsense. Well, this made me mad. Time to simmer down :).

I believe that if you follow the programme, regardless of what WLS you have, weight loss will continue.

Having said that, we don't all have the same calorie needs.  For me, I found it essential to weigh/measure and log my foods so that I know how many calories I need to maintain/lose/gain weight.

When talking about the different surgeries, my doctor shared how much people typically lose with each type of surgery.  Now that I know more information, I think he was referring to what to expect during the honeymoon period.  While he indicated a smaller amount of pounds lost with the sleeve, he didn't say it was because the honeymoon period was shorter.  I guess that could be the reason.  But there are many, many people in his practice and as you know, on this forum, who lose more than the average with both the sleeve and bypass.  I was looking at photos in the office today and there were many who had lost over 100 and a few quite a bit more with the sleeve.  The bypass was recommended to me because I already had acid reflux issues, but my dr's office is doing a lot more sleeves these days than the other types.

Jen581791, Res Ipsa and delilas like this

1 hour ago, delilas said:

During her introductory spiel, she mentioned, "Expect 6 months of weight loss with the sleeve, and 12 months of weight loss with the bypass."

I've never heard this before and based on my experiences and what I've seen happen with people on site in more than 4 years, I don't believe it.

With either surgery, you will lose your excess weight and keep it off if you stay on plan and work a program that works for your body. Cinwa is correct, we don't have the same caloric needs. Nor do we all get the same amount of exercise. Part of the process is to figure out what works for you. 

Sleever here with a honeymoon of around a year.  I continued to lose after that but with a lot more effort and intention.  I have come to believe that the type of surgery is not as important as the will of the recipient. 

Thank you all for chiming in! This has made me feel considerably better. I know there are always exceptions in either direction with WLS, but this has just been in my head since the day I met with her last month. I'll be talking my options over more with the surgeon when I finally get a real face-to-face with them in a month or two (and like @Gretta suggested, probably mention what their NP is saying), but in the struggle to choose a surgery, I am glad to at least put this part out of my head!

Gretta likes this

2 minutes ago, delilas said:

Thank you all for chiming in! This has made me feel considerably better. I know there are always exceptions in either direction with WLS, but this has just been in my head since the day I met with her last month. I'll be talking my options over more with the surgeon when I finally get a real face-to-face with them in a month or two (and like @Gretta suggested, probably mention what their NP is saying), but in the struggle to choose a surgery, I am glad to at least put this part out of my head!

There are lots of good reasons to pick a sleeve and lots of good reasons to pick a bypass, and you should make your decision between these two surgeries very carefully - but each of these weight loss surgeries will allow you to lose your excess weight and keep it off for the rest of your life if you follow the food plan from your surgeon and nutritionist.  

delilas likes this