Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FeatherWeather

New to the Scene

8 posts in this topic

Hey all,

My name is Heather. I'm 27 and awaiting a kidney/liver transplant.  After the suggestion was made by my surgeon that I'd be a great candidate, I'm pursuing having VSG done at the time of transplant. I've done a lot of research, and it seems to be the best option to set myself up to be as healthy as possible, to keep the new organs kicking! CW-247 H- 5'5.5" Anyone out there with a transplant under their belt, along with gastric surgery?

Welcome to Thinner Times Heather!

I don't know of any member who's had a transplant but hopefully someone on the forum can help.

I've only had cornea transplants so can't help with personal experience.  I do think that weight loss and eating healthy can only help keep your new organs healthy.  I wonder if the anti-rejection drugs will make it more difficult to lose weight?  You have a lot of exciting changes to look forward to; will be anxious to hear more of your story and how it all goes for you!

FeatherWeather likes this

Wow! So many changes! Excited to follow your story. Welcome!

Wow, a very interesting combination of surgeries! Congrats on getting the transplants - that must be a huge relief for you. I hope you find someone who can impart some wisdom - your circumstances are more unusual than mine, but hopefully someone here has some experience with this. 

Welcome to the forum. 

Thanks, all! The anti-rejection drugs may make weight loss more challenging, but certainly better than being on dialysis! I'll be on a good deal of prednisone for the duration of the life of the new organs. I hear it makes you ravenous, so that'll be a challenge, but VSG is a tool, and I'm hoping to use it to the fullest extent. I'm about 2-6 months (for average estimate) from receiving my new organs and may have to do dialysis for a bit before - that said with decreased kidney function, it's harder to loose weight. I'm still making mindful choices in what I am eating and doing my best to make healthy changes now.  

Jen581791 likes this

Your attitude is great, and I really think that plays a big role in weight loss success.

Jen581791 likes this

It sounds like you're very well informed and, as Gretta mentioned, you have a great attitude. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you :) 

Gretta likes this