Sharksgrl99

How were you feeling 1 week out from RNY?

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time posting. 

Question - how were you feeling 1 week out from RNY? I'm having surgery next Weds the 16th. My mother-in-law just passed away Friday and they scheduled her service and funeral for Weds the 23rd.

They know I'm having surgery but I just told them for a hernia from my appendix that ruptured last year. My hubby is the only one that knows the truth. 

We are also going to a restaurant after for a luncheon and I'll be on purees then, so I'm going to be bringing my water bottles, protein and food in a lunch bag with me.  

Thank you in advance. 

I was able to go grocery shopping at a week out which took most of the morning (an travelling there and an coming back).

I had no pain to speak of, just a little exhausted by the time I got home - I probably walked a little too far.

As they'll know that you've had surgery the week before, no one will feel it amiss if you need to sit down and rest.

Well I think that a week out you're basically mobile and all - but do bear in mind that there is some difference person to person depending on your pre-op physical capability.

You will likely need to take it easy/not push too hard because the lower intake of calories and nutrients (you're still at the liquid only stage at that point!) plus low intake of fluids due to the internal swelling still not fully settled so you are weaker, easily tired and a little under-hydrated. You can walk around - which you should, walking even in spurts and slowly helps a LOT during the earliest days post-op. As I was explained to, it keeps the organs from settling awkwardly if you're just lying down PLUS the activity and all is better for keeping blood-flow up which helps healing time AND being on your feet instead of on your back is also better for your legs/muscles in the long run and to further reduce any chance of clotting in the legs (for which you will be as your doc likely suggested, wearing DVT stockings for that first week or so anyway..).

Umm... other than that not much to say, just remember to keep some water on hand, have your liquid meals in a timely manner and take your meds as advised - even if you have to excuse yourself or such, keeping to the programme and walking/ambling around and such are critical to attaining a good recovery I feel. (Of course, don't walk or push yourself excessively, if you're in pain or such, rest. Do it in even smaller bursts if that helps)

And since people know you just had surgery, don't be afraid to take advantage of that to sit or ask for a hand when walking or anything like that.

I was back at my office job part time (mornings only) one week after my RNY gastric bypass. My biggest problem was that I became tired by mid-afternoon. So if you recover from surgery like I did, you will be fine just a bit tired near the end of the day. 

First let me say that I'm sorry to hear of your family's loss. It sounds like this is going to be a very challenging time for you both physically and emotionally. Please know that this community will be thinking good thoughts for you.

Without having a crystal ball it's hard to know how you are going to be feeling a week post-op. Recovery experiences vary widely from person to person. There isn't anything you can do to control how your body will tolerate the surgery but there are things that will help aid in your recovery.

• Follow your surgical orders to a T and do everything your doctor tells you.
  • To quote a veteran of this forum "Sip sip sip. Walk walk walk." This can feel like work immediately post op but both are super important to recovery. It doesn't take long to get dehydrated and it can make you feel pretty crappy if you do. Take small sips throughout the day, all day long. Walking helps dissipate surgical gas, improve circulation, prevents post op clots, and promotes healing.
  • Stay ahead of your pain. If you have a lot of pain, try not to let it get too bad before you take something for it.

Since most believe you've had hernia surgery, there shouldn't be any issue with folks wondering why you're taking it easy. Most people will not be paying attention to what you're eating (or not eating). Always have a drink in your hand or nearby. If folks ask, you can simply say that you're not feeling well and are going to stick with water for now. Depending how long the day goes, you can sneak away somewhere to sip on a protein shake.

Best of luck and please let us know how you make out.

Thank you for your replies. I'm very aware of everyone's journey and recovery being different. I was trying to get an idea on average of how everyone felt and the capabilities. I'm excited about the surgery but very nervous and apprehensive about all the possible complications that I have read about from others. 

I'm sure it's just "do the best I possibly can, prepare for the best and/or worst and wait and see" at this point. 

Thank you again. ^_^

Jen581791, Trish1967 and Trish13 like this

I felt great!  I went in to work to do paperwork at 6 days out.  Went back to work full time at 9 days.  My job requires me to be on my feet all day.  I threw a huge super bowl party 11 days out.  

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Trish1967 and Sharksgrl99 like this

I felt really good as far as pain goes, but was really exhausted feeling, as well as a bit lightheaded from drastic food reduction. I was fine to use transportation, go shopping, take a walk, etc. Best of luck! So long as some people know you've had some kind of surgery, you should be fine :) assuming your recovery goes well. Basically, you don't know until it happens what will happen!

Sharksgrl99 and Trish1967 like this

My energy was low but I felt pretty good and had minimal pain after the first few days. The pain I had I only experienced when I stood up or sat down and it felt like I had done a super intense ab workout. I took 2 weeks off to recover but probably could have gone back after a week. A couple of days after my discharge, I went to the grocery store with my hubby. I felt great until all the sudden, I felt really weak. It wasn't that big of a deal because I felt fine once I sat down. Terrible post-op stories are for sure the exception and not the rule.

Sharksgrl99 and Trish1967 like this

I'm very sorry for your loss. Prayers going out to your family. 

I had no surgical or gas pain at all, not even in the hospital. Just minor discomfort, kind of like Jabsie said, like an intense ab workout.  I dealt with nausea the first day, but that's it. I was quite weak and tired, though, for a week, maybe two. Otherwise, I felt really good. If people know you've had surgery, becoming fatigued won't seem out of place. Just take care of yourself and stay hydrated!!

Sharksgrl99 likes this

I was pretty good one week out. At 5 days I drove myself home (4hour drive) with only a couple of stops along the way. Day 7 I saw my family doctor and he presumed that my bypass must have been cancelled because I looked so good. Little did he realise that my surgery was a marathon. I functioned pretty well until about the two week mark. That's when I hit the wall with fatigue hanging around for about two months. I eventually lifted the amount of carbs I was eating to around 100g and the fatigue finally went away. That might be a coincidence...im not sure, but the increased energy I got I was able to channel into physical activity to counteract it.