Smashlee83

Linzess and burnt popcorn

Recommended Posts

So some of ya'll know I was on the struggle bus with constipation. Like Miralax, Probiotics, Smooth Move Tea, Glycerin Suppositories and Saline Enemas. At the same time. A few weeks ago my surgeon prescribed me Linzess. It works. Maybe too well? Last week I spent most of my work week in the bathroom and even had to go home one day because it was just too much. I've also started burping this horrid taste, like burnt popcorn. It's terrible. I've been getting some acid reflux as well that started before the linzess. What is going on? I can't decide what is from the meds and what isn't. I stopped the Linzess for a few days but the constipation came back.

 

At what point do I start seeing a GI dr, and stop asking my surgeon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any advice for you, @Smashlee83, I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're dealing with this! It doesn't sound fun :( Hang in there. Someone here will have some more informed words for you, I'm sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are lucky Linzess works for you. Maybe cut the dose in half?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh. Sorry. I think you might have luck playing with the dose of Linzess (take it every other day or every 3 days, cut the pill smaller (if a pharmacist approves), take only before bed so it does it's best work while you are at home & asleep?). If you're having acid reflux, I'd advise sleeping sitting up as much as possible until you get to the bottm of it. Are you taking anything for acid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2017 at 9:42 AM, Smashlee83 said:

So some of ya'll know I was on the struggle bus with constipation. Like Miralax, Probiotics, Smooth Move Tea, Glycerin Suppositories and Saline Enemas. At the same time. A few weeks ago my surgeon prescribed me Linzess. It works. Maybe too well? Last week I spent most of my work week in the bathroom and even had to go home one day because it was just too much. I've also started burping this horrid taste, like burnt popcorn. It's terrible. I've been getting some acid reflux as well that started before the linzess. What is going on? I can't decide what is from the meds and what isn't. I stopped the Linzess for a few days but the constipation came back.

 

At what point do I start seeing a GI dr, and stop asking my surgeon?

So glad I read this. My #1 complaint/problem post RNY has been constipation. My surgeon recommended Miralax, Milk of Magnesia, increased water intake. I have tried all of these as well as fiber chews with very little relief. I'm SO going to call my surgeon tomorrow and see if he'll give me a prescription for Linzess. I'd take diarrhea over constipation any day! Sorry for your struggles. I hope you find what works for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chefman77 said:

So glad I read this. My #1 complaint/problem post RNY has been constipation. My surgeon recommended Miralax, Milk of Magnesia, increased water intake. I have tried all of these as well as fiber chews with very little relief. I'm SO going to call my surgeon tomorrow and see if he'll give me a prescription for Linzess. I'd take diarrhea over constipation any day! Sorry for your struggles. I hope you find what works for you.

 @Smashlee83 - am avoiding any gut drugs (prescription or non-prescription) in favor of a lot of fiber. Diarrhea and bloating and so on is common with Lizness and the fact that when you stopped it the constipation came back does suggest it was the cause of the diarrhea. Wherever I end up I want to just have an healthy intestine and regular BMs from my diet. Having said that, am finding it much more difficult given small amounts we can eat to get enough fiber in than before surgery. After surgery I was able to slowly ramp up my fiber intake and ramp down the gut drugs without causing any extremes (constipation or diarrhea). 

@Chefman77 The fiber chews don't get you very much fiber - you have to eat a lot of them to make any difference. Same thing with the psyllium pills - so bought some psyllium powder on Amazon and use that. I think things like Miralax and Lizness just flog your intestines and aren't necessarily what you want for the long haul. Having said that I agree not being bound up is wayyyy better than constipation! 

For what it's worth - and we each have to find out own way to what works for us -

I now put 8 grams of psyllium powder (mostly nonsoluble fiber, which is what you need to have stools) in my morning shake, and then think about how to eat beans, lentils, other legumes later in the day. Once in a while I have a cereal like Wheatabix that has fiber, but even the best of the boxed ones don't have the amount of fiber you get with the psyllium powder. (I think it was @cinwa who has had some good suggestions for morning cereals with a lot of fiber... when it gets cold will be making some whole grain hot cereals).

Beans are just about the top of the list for fiber, so even 75 or 100 calories of beans a day is a big boost. With those and the psyllium I have had a BM probably 155 out of the past 160 days. With this approach things are ok, but if I skip the psyllium powder in my morning shake => likely no morning BM. So last night had a small bake of kidney beans, ripe local tomatoes, crumbled bacon meat, and grated cheese for dinner - got my protein, got my savory taste, got my fiber. And this morning after my 2 cups of strong coffee... a satisfying trip to the bathroom. :D

Not suggesting this is a definitive resource, but a quick read on known psyllium benefits: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318707.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

 @Smashlee83 - am avoiding any gut drugs (prescription or non-prescription) in favor of a lot of fiber. Diarrhea and bloating and so on is common with Lizness and the fact that when you stopped it the constipation came back does suggest it was the cause of the diarrhea. Wherever I end up I want to just have an healthy intestine and regular BMs from my diet. Having said that, am finding it much more difficult given small amounts we can eat to get enough fiber in than before surgery. After surgery I was able to slowly ramp up my fiber intake and ramp down the gut drugs without causing any extremes (constipation or diarrhea). 

@Chefman77 The fiber chews don't get you very much fiber - you have to eat a lot of them to make any difference. Same thing with the psyllium pills - so bought some psyllium powder on Amazon and use that. I think things like Miralax and Lizness just flog your intestines and aren't necessarily what you want for the long haul. Having said that I agree not being bound up is wayyyy better than constipation! 

For what it's worth - and we each have to find out own way to what works for us -

I now put 8 grams of psyllium powder (mostly nonsoluble fiber, which is what you need to have stools) in my morning shake, and then think about how to eat beans, lentils, other legumes later in the day. Once in a while I have a cereal like Wheatabix that has fiber, but even the best of the boxed ones don't have the amount of fiber you get with the psyllium powder. (I think it was @cinwa who has had some good suggestions for morning cereals with a lot of fiber... when it gets cold will be making some whole grain hot cereals).

Beans are just about the top of the list for fiber, so even 75 or 100 calories of beans a day is a big boost. With those and the psyllium I have had a BM probably 155 out of the past 160 days. With this approach things are ok, but if I skip the psyllium powder in my morning shake => likely no morning BM. So last night had a small bake of kidney beans, ripe local tomatoes, crumbled bacon meat, and grated cheese for dinner - got my protein, got my savory taste, got my fiber. And this morning after my 2 cups of strong coffee... a satisfying trip to the bathroom. :D

Not suggesting this is a definitive resource, but a quick read on known psyllium benefits: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318707.php

@BurgundyBoy - Thank you for information on psyllium and what works for you. I will definitely read information on psyllium and consider adding it to my  daily routine. I have a cup of decaf coffee every morning per nutritionist no caffeine order. I understand the reasons they recommend no caffeine, but I am past the healing phase, I don't have a problem with my water intake and if it causes problems with hunger I could always go back to no caffeine. I don't drink tea, soda, or any other beverage containing caffein. I hadn't considered the benefits of caffeinated coffee towards my regular BM goals. I welcome yours and other's input regarding caffeinated coffee.

Edited by Chefman77
Wanted input about caffeinated coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2017 at 5:28 AM, Chefman77 said:

@BurgundyBoy - Thank you for information on psyllium and what works for you. I will definitely read information on psyllium and consider adding it to my  daily routine. I have a cup of decaf coffee every morning per nutritionist no caffeine order. I understand the reasons they recommend no caffeine, but I am past the healing phase, I don't have a problem with my water intake and if it causes problems with hunger I could always go back to no caffeine. I don't drink tea, soda, or any other beverage containing caffein. I hadn't considered the benefits of caffeinated coffee towards my regular BM goals. I welcome yours and other's input regarding caffeinated coffee.

Well, I know we are supposed to give up coffee or tea for WLS... but the rationale for any long-term deferral of coffee is very weak at best (I am really being polite here since my real opinion is that it is baseless for most but not all people). Yes large amounts of caffeine can be a diuretic and some people on the knife-edge of not getting enough fluids should avoid it especially in quantity ... but recently scientific studies have shown you can even rehydrate after exercise using coffee. It is just not a potent diuretic. My nutritionist says this is the least of her worries when she talks to people about what they are eating and doesn't even bother with it. It does not stimulate hunger in me. 

I think this is part of the voodoo generic weird recommendations we get (along with the super insightful good ones). No doubt someone drinking 15 cups of coffee a day ended up dehydrated after WLS and a zealot surgeon or NUT then decided everyone should avoid coffee and tea so that this unusual circumstance would not happen again to anyone. In fairness if one follows all the rules then even this unusual thing can't happen to you. But to get into that kind of trouble you had to be drinking 15 cups of day of coffee anyhow, which is the far end of the spectrum. Or you have to have marginal fluid intake. Or both. Sigh. I think we have brains so we can make reasonable judgements. 

Personally I am sooo way beyond being near any knife-edge of fluids intake, ... and never was near it even right after surgery. This is unlike a number of people posting here who were near (or over) that edge and so the generic advice to avoid caffeine makes sense for them. You are 3 months out and I doubt you are at any risk with a cup of real coffee. Just try remember to stifle your former habit of drinking those 15-20 cups a day of espresso. :rolleyes:

But you have to do what you feel best in terms of adherence to your Plan! If you were to feel Guilt or Remorse after a cup of coffee I wouldn't do it, unless you secretly like Sin. Then I would certainly have two cups.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2017 at 9:32 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

Well, I know we are supposed to give up coffee or tea for WLS... but the rationale for any long-term deferral of coffee is very weak at best (I am really being polite here since my real opinion is that it is baseless for most but not all people). Yes large amounts of caffeine can be a diuretic and some people on the knife-edge of not getting enough fluids should avoid it especially in quantity ... but recently scientific studies have shown you can even rehydrate after exercise using coffee. It is just not a potent diuretic. My nutritionist says this is the least of her worries when she talks to people about what they are eating and doesn't even bother with it. It does not stimulate hunger in me. 

I think this is part of the voodoo generic weird recommendations we get (along with the super insightful good ones). No doubt someone drinking 15 cups of coffee a day ended up dehydrated after WLS and a zealot surgeon or NUT then decided everyone should avoid coffee and tea so that this unusual circumstance would not happen again to anyone. In fairness if one follows all the rules then even this unusual thing can't happen to you. But to get into that kind of trouble you had to be drinking 15 cups of day of coffee anyhow, which is the far end of the spectrum. Or you have to have marginal fluid intake. Or both. Sigh. I think we have brains so we can make reasonable judgements. 

Personally I am sooo way beyond being near any knife-edge of fluids intake, ... and never was near it even right after surgery. This is unlike a number of people posting here who were near (or over) that edge and so the generic advice to avoid caffeine makes sense for them. You are 3 months out and I doubt you are at any risk with a cup of real coffee. Just try remember to stifle your former habit of drinking those 15-20 cups a day of espresso. :rolleyes:

But you have to do what you feel best in terms of adherence to your Plan! If you were to feel Guilt or Remorse after a cup of coffee I wouldn't do it, unless you secretly like Sin. Then I would certainly have two cups.  :D

@BurgandyBoy I like the way you think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2017 at 10:41 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

 @Smashlee83 - am avoiding any gut drugs (prescription or non-prescription) in favor of a lot of fiber. Diarrhea and bloating and so on is common with Lizness and the fact that when you stopped it the constipation came back does suggest it was the cause of the diarrhea. Wherever I end up I want to just have an healthy intestine and regular BMs from my diet. Having said that, am finding it much more difficult given small amounts we can eat to get enough fiber in than before surgery. After surgery I was able to slowly ramp up my fiber intake and ramp down the gut drugs without causing any extremes (constipation or diarrhea). 

@Chefman77 The fiber chews don't get you very much fiber - you have to eat a lot of them to make any difference. Same thing with the psyllium pills - so bought some psyllium powder on Amazon and use that. I think things like Miralax and Lizness just flog your intestines and aren't necessarily what you want for the long haul. Having said that I agree not being bound up is wayyyy better than constipation! 

For what it's worth - and we each have to find out own way to what works for us -

I now put 8 grams of psyllium powder (mostly nonsoluble fiber, which is what you need to have stools) in my morning shake, and then think about how to eat beans, lentils, other legumes later in the day. Once in a while I have a cereal like Wheatabix that has fiber, but even the best of the boxed ones don't have the amount of fiber you get with the psyllium powder. (I think it was @cinwa who has had some good suggestions for morning cereals with a lot of fiber... when it gets cold will be making some whole grain hot cereals).

Beans are just about the top of the list for fiber, so even 75 or 100 calories of beans a day is a big boost. With those and the psyllium I have had a BM probably 155 out of the past 160 days. With this approach things are ok, but if I skip the psyllium powder in my morning shake => likely no morning BM. So last night had a small bake of kidney beans, ripe local tomatoes, crumbled bacon meat, and grated cheese for dinner - got my protein, got my savory taste, got my fiber. And this morning after my 2 cups of strong coffee... a satisfying trip to the bathroom. :D

Not suggesting this is a definitive resource, but a quick read on known psyllium benefits: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318707.php

@BurgundyBoy I have been trying to find a natural way to relieve my constipation while being mindful of my carb intake. I eat beans but i haven't eaten large portions because of my diabetic concerns. I used psyllium powder in a shake and had the worst gas of my life. It was so bad my husband was begging me to buy special underwear to trap the odor. Do you have any other suggestions?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2017 at 5:28 AM, Chefman77 said:

@BurgundyBoy - Thank you for information on psyllium and what works for you. I will definitely read information on psyllium and consider adding it to my  daily routine. I have a cup of decaf coffee every morning per nutritionist no caffeine order. I understand the reasons they recommend no caffeine, but I am past the healing phase, I don't have a problem with my water intake and if it causes problems with hunger I could always go back to no caffeine. I don't drink tea, soda, or any other beverage containing caffein. I hadn't considered the benefits of caffeinated coffee towards my regular BM goals. I welcome yours and other's input regarding caffeinated coffee.

@Chefman77

I said this today about something completely different and I'll say it again. No self respecting Colombian would say no to coffee. :P 

On a serious note, I know every doctor is different and every body heals differently. I've been drinking coffee since the day I left the hospital-with my doctor's blessing. I start my day with a strong coffee and I find that is helps (not 100%) with my BMs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

@BurgundyBoy I have been trying to find a natural way to relieve my constipation while being mindful of my carb intake. I eat beans but i haven't eaten large portions because of my diabetic concerns. I used psyllium powder in a shake and had the worst gas of my life. It was so bad my husband was begging me to buy special underwear to trap the odor. Do you have any other suggestions?  

Oh golly sorry this happened to you. You evoke an image of tooting away while an hysterical laughing husband is begging you to stop (which one can't do). It seems you overwhelmed the small number of relevant bacteria in your gut by presenting too much soluble Good Fiber than they could handle.  How much did you add? 

If you (or, perhaps, your husband) were willing to give this another shot, I would start very small (perhaps a gram, or about a teaspoon, of psyllium a day) and then work my way up by increasing on a daily basis by perhaps a half gram or gram a day. Your bacterial flora will pretty quickly adapt /grow (we are talking 4-7 days, not longer) and be able to digest the psyllium in a way that does not produce gas. I am tossing down 8-12 grams a day now of pysllium in my morning shake - plus inulin, another food for the good bacteria - without a single toot or stomach rumble. My scientific explanation is that my digestive system now expects all that soluble and insoluble fiber and the bacteria have adapted so that the digestion of the fiber does not lead to gas. You could use 1 gram / a teaspoon a day of psyllium for a couple of days before increasing the amount slowly. If a gradual increase doesn't work for you then I think you will have to go to Plan B, whatever that is.* 

As an example of how gas-proof my system is, on Sunday I had a lot of black beans (yes in a Mexican restaurant, XYZ in Southwest Harbor, Maine), which are full of fiber. I grew up on black beans and rice, and honestly ate much much very much more of the beans that the (delicious) accompanying shredded beef. Not a toot. I can eat an entire can of Goya black beans now without any gas. And yes, I am a very regular fellow when eating my fiber. When away from it... I suffer from constipation too. 

As to the character of the odor of your gas... one must disavow, eschew, and deny any connection to smelly farts. Mine, though rare, smell like Alpine meadow flowers. Really. just don't ask my family, since they are confused on this subject. 

__________________________

*This has me thinking. My recollection is that okra and asparagus are high fiber / low calories / low carbos, but then of course you have to be able to eat okra or asparagus. I make gumbo with okra and routinely grill or roast asparagus. I think in 100g of okra there are only 33 calories and something like 3+ grams of fiber. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

@Chefman77

I said this today about something completely different and I'll say it again. No self respecting Colombian would say no to coffee. :P 

On a serious note, I know every doctor is different and every body heals differently. I've been drinking coffee since the day I left the hospital-with my doctor's blessing. I start my day with a strong coffee and I find that is helps (not 100%) with my BMs. 

... and we can see that the coffee really impeded your ability to achieve your Goal Weight in record time. 

My body's response to coffee is so regular that I note in my daily weight log if I have NOT had a BM after my coffee. As you imply it is not 100% but it must be 98%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now