KT74

I'm in trouble...GAINS

Just now, Gretta said:

Another little thing about stevia, I avoid those products that blend erythritol with the stevia. Otherwise I'd be in the bathroom all day. Sorry, TMI.

LOL not TMI at all, that is the OTHER issue I have that makes me stall. That protein just gets me good, I have to drink Smooth Move tea or I won't lose any weight for days. 

That IS stressful. Be kind to yourself. You're doing great. It's a marathon with lots of course corrections along the way. So glad we have each other.

2 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

Yep straight Stevia for me.I'm super careful about reading the contents now too, after buying Walmart's individual "stevia" packets but not noticing until I got home that it was actually a mix with xylitol. "Now" brand stevia is great stuff.

This one? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0017WG180/ref=sxts_sxwds-tsp_1_a_it?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3155180962&pd_rd_wg=B8BkY&pf_rd_r=Q1QW4GP07F5N1RQFKQVW&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B0017WG180&pd_rd_w=FliUj&pf_rd_i=now%2Bstevia&pd_rd_r=1H5P8MNVDTX4PYK5PPS0&ie=UTF8&qid=1502298531&sr=1&th=1

Just now, KT74 said:

LOL not TMI at all, that is the OTHER issue I have that makes me stall. That protein just gets me good, I have to drink Smooth Move tea or I won't lose any weight for days. 

Maybe you'll like erythritol then ;)

3 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Maybe you'll like erythritol then ;)

giphy.gif

Edited by KT74

22 minutes ago, KT74 said:

Before I went on vacation, for the first 3 months post op, I didn't eat any hard carbs (no bread, pasta, rice, or fruit with skin) and very little other carbs, so that was something new I added to my diet in Texas, and it actually seemed to help, strangely enough. I was on vacation for 2-3 weeks and one day I guess my body had enough and I felt very weak and faint. This is when I reintroduced carbs (whole wheat, some crackers etc, no pasta or rice) and I instantly felt better. Maybe I've adjusted to carbs now and it's time to take them back out, that's the only thing I can think of causing this weight gain. 

For some reason, it kind of seems like switching things up to "trick" the body into losing weight seems to help for some people... :wacko: It would be really helpful if we just understood the physiological processes better!! I'm glad to hear that 3 lbs went away, however that happened. It's a bit of a mystery, isn't it? 

Sorry you're dealing with a stressful move. I'm in the same boat right now, so I get the stress levels. I hope it all goes as smoothly as a big move can for you. Keep working at doing your best with the eating and keeping active and don't beat yourself up about not going to the gym if you're keeping active - you can only have so much on your plate at once!

If you have younger kids, chances are you are more active than you think.  

I get over 10,000 steps a day in, but never worked out (I have bad ankles). 

I agree, get rid of the carbs till you get to goal.  I didn't add in fruit til I got down to goal.  Now, I eat a lot of fruits (mainly berries with Greek yogurt right now). I went through an apple kick for a while.  But before goal I focused on protein.  To be honest I could do serious damage to a box of cheese it's.  On camping weekends hubby likes them to snack on in the truck.  Last time I brought a baggie of blueberries...

8 hours ago, Gretta said:

Another little thing about stevia, I avoid those products that blend erythritol with the stevia. Otherwise I'd be in the bathroom all day. Sorry, TMI.

I'm with you there. My wife is an ardent follower of the Trim Healthy Mama way of eating, and they use a lot of sweeteners that are mixed with, or are all, one of the "-tol"s-- xylitol, erytritol, etc. I'm just suspicious of all that sugar alcohol stuff, probably because when I was first diagnosed Type 2 diabetes, I went way into research mode and found an excellent user forum for diabetics, and all the veterans and knowledgeable folks there didn't like sugar alcohols either, because of what they still did to your glucose/liver.

Breyers makes an excellent ice cream called Carb Smart. I distinctly noticed when they switched the formula up to include more sugar alcohols, because of the gastro distress it caused me. Sad day. Never ate it after that.

Carbs are my enemy. My team made it very clear to me to keep my carbs under 50.  My latte stand will make my plain latte with me bringing the Premier Protein drink (4-5 carbs vs 12 carbs in milk of any kind).  I use unsweetened almond milk when I have cereal and the ceral is very low carb and high protein (a bit costly but worth it and it lasts a long time at 20gm a bowl).  The greek yogurt I buy is low carb and high protein.  Cheez Its are rarely on my menu and 3-4 would be my max (I eat no more than two saltine crackers when I have them).  Even my protein powders are low carb (Trader Joe carries Aria).  I don't use sugar or stevia, etc at all.  I use My Fitness Pal to track my eating as I need 70-90 grams of protein, 70-90 oz of fluid and LESS than 50 carbs a day.  Hope its going better for you. 

On 8/9/2017 at 0:58 PM, KT74 said:

Incidentally, I went out and got a new protein powder and cut out most of my carbs for the last 2 days and I'm back down 3 lbs. So, there's that. This process is just becoming frustrating at this point. I need to cut down my carbs, so I up my protein and fluids, then I have OTHER issues which definitely make me stall out. I just haven't found that balance yet. I will confess something embarrassing, I haven't started working out yet. I go on hikes and swim with my kiddos, just day to day stuff, but no actual gym time. I've lost 75 lbs without "working out" so I can't really complain, but I know it's time to start. I'm just so lazy. :D

Hi @KT74 How is it going? I missed this entire thread while on vacation but would have suggested the same things everyone else did. Am hoping you continued in a good direction.

For what it's worth, I was on vacation for just under 3 weeks and didn't lose any weight... had a lot more carbs (breakfast bread, a late afternoon beer, other banned carbo substances) than I do at home... not an ounce different on return... and then a couple of days after returning, back on my "usual" diet, I lost 6 lbs in 4 days. ... which obviously can't be real, it has to be some kind of pent-up loss. Recurrently I find that when in doubt, going to the high-protein lo-carb place serves me well. I thought I knew this from my pre-WLS days, but I have really integrated it into my repertoire since WLS. 

Oh, and you haven't been awol when it comes to exercise. You have just be awaiting the right time, when your head was in the right place and your kids in school, and so forth. Just think how nice you have been to your poor joints during this ... deferral period. (Always be nice to yourself even if it means a little itsy bitsy fib). You are down > 75 lbs and that has to mean things will be easier when you do go to the gym. Plus swimming and hikes count. Plus all that matters today is the path forward that you undertake.  B)

17 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

For what it's worth, I was on vacation for just under 3 weeks and didn't lose any weight... had a lot more carbs (breakfast bread, a late afternoon beer, other banned carbo substances) than I do at home... not an ounce different on return... and then a couple of days after returning, back on my "usual" diet, I lost 6 lbs in 4 days. ... which obviously can't be real, it has to be some kind of pent-up loss.

I always lose weight very rapidly after a vacation. I'm convinced the reason is that so many restaurants put a lot of salt into their food to make it taste better. Eating too much salt results in gaining water weight, which quickly goes away if you return home to a diet low in salt and high in liquids to flush the salt out of your body. 

On 8/26/2017 at 4:47 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

Hi @KT74 How is it going? I missed this entire thread while on vacation but would have suggested the same things everyone else did. Am hoping you continued in a good direction.

For what it's worth, I was on vacation for just under 3 weeks and didn't lose any weight... had a lot more carbs (breakfast bread, a late afternoon beer, other banned carbo substances) than I do at home... not an ounce different on return... and then a couple of days after returning, back on my "usual" diet, I lost 6 lbs in 4 days. ... which obviously can't be real, it has to be some kind of pent-up loss. Recurrently I find that when in doubt, going to the high-protein lo-carb place serves me well. I thought I knew this from my pre-WLS days, but I have really integrated it into my repertoire since WLS. 

Oh, and you haven't been awol when it comes to exercise. You have just be awaiting the right time, when your head was in the right place and your kids in school, and so forth. Just think how nice you have been to your poor joints during this ... deferral period. (Always be nice to yourself even if it means a little itsy bitsy fib). You are down > 75 lbs and that has to mean things will be easier when you do go to the gym. Plus swimming and hikes count. Plus all that matters today is the path forward that you undertake.  B)

LOL well I fib to myself daily. I'm the WORST about working out. Of course we just went through Hurricane Irma, so that's my latest excuse for not going to the gym.....even though we're home now....and there's power..... :D

@BurgundyBoy Also, an update. I dropped down 10 lbs within a 1.5 week span, which was shocking. I am now stalled again, sticking to 259 for about 2-3 weeks now. I'm guessing since I'm so close to my 100 lb loss mark my loss will slow and become more sporadic, which I hear is common. I'll try a kick start with going back to protein shakes and low carb (again) and maaaaybe even actually get into the gym. 

On 8/7/2017 at 6:06 PM, KT74 said:

I am horrible about taking vitamins. I haven't found one that I can tolerate well and WANT to take daily. Will that cause a stall? I know my fluid intake could be better as well. It's just very confusing with such a drastic switch from 2 weeks ago. 

Not taking vitamins daily is not good but should not cause weight gain. Also it may be possible you over ate on vacation and it is just not catching up with you.  I would suggest you should write down everything you eat for the next 7 days and make sure you stick to your plan your surgeon gave you and see if the gain comes back off. Sometimes we are not eating a larger amount of food but it may have more calories. Hope this helps good luck 

On 9/14/2017 at 9:32 AM, KT74 said:

@BurgundyBoy Also, an update. I dropped down 10 lbs within a 1.5 week span, which was shocking. I am now stalled again, sticking to 259 for about 2-3 weeks now. I'm guessing since I'm so close to my 100 lb loss mark my loss will slow and become more sporadic, which I hear is common. I'll try a kick start with going back to protein shakes and low carb (again) and maaaaybe even actually get into the gym. 

Sorry, missed this when travelling for work! How are you doing now? I hope you have had another shocking loss. 

I don't lose weight gradually any more. I stall at one place for weeks and then lose a lot in a few days. I was at 216 lbs (I'm a bit over 6 feet 2 inches) for more than 3 weeks; I returned from another work trip at the same 216 lbs a week ago, and in 4 days was at 208. Who knows? Salt, water retention from the flights, phase of the moon, Weight Loss Gremlins messing with me... Who knows. I trust that sticking to the diet and getting exercise will work for me in the long run, however weirdly step-like it is...

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 2:41 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

Sorry, missed this when travelling for work! How are you doing now? I hope you have had another shocking loss. 

I don't lose weight gradually any more. I stall at one place for weeks and then lose a lot in a few days. I was at 216 lbs (I'm a bit over 6 feet 2 inches) for more than 3 weeks; I returned from another work trip at the same 216 lbs a week ago, and in 4 days was at 208. Who knows? Salt, water retention from the flights, phase of the moon, Weight Loss Gremlins messing with me... Who knows. I trust that sticking to the diet and getting exercise will work for me in the long run, however weirdly step-like it is...

I've hit a point now that I lose weight once a month. It's the strangest thing. I will have a week where I lose 5-10lbs out of nowhere.

1 hour ago, Smashlee83 said:

I've hit a point now that I lose weight once a month. It's the strangest thing. I will have a week where I lose 5-10lbs out of nowhere.

Mine has gone sort of that way, too. I lose a pound or two a week, then boom! One week a bunch, like 5 pounds. I bet you can guess which week that is.

5 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

Wow Smashlee, am I reading this right... you are down to 166? Down 76? You must feel GREAT about how you  have done!!

16 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Wow Smashlee, am I reading this right... you are down to 166? Down 76? You must feel GREAT about how you  have done!!

I feel incredible! I'm going through clothes so fast. I was barely in a 12 and blinked and I'm a size 10. I have been bouncing between 164-167 for a week but I think I'm going to be in the 150's by Thanksgiving. This has been a rollercoaster. I finally feel that I live a mostly "normal" life. I don't feel that I am missing out but I do have to keep myself motivated for work outs. Should be a challenging next few weeks. My daughter turns 4 this weekend, and then our annual trip to the Renaissance Festival.

5 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

I feel incredible! I'm going through clothes so fast. I was barely in a 12 and blinked and I'm a size 10. I have been bouncing between 164-167 for a week but I think I'm going to be in the 150's by Thanksgiving. This has been a rollercoaster. I finally feel that I live a mostly "normal" life. I don't feel that I am missing out but I do have to keep myself motivated for work outs. Should be a challenging next few weeks. My daughter turns 4 this weekend, and then our annual trip to the Renaissance Festival.

Wow and wow. New pics needed. Are you still cycling? Am so impressed! 

18 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Wow and wow. New pics needed. Are you still cycling? Am so impressed! 

I had a cycling hiatus first because Harvey put all of my parks under water for a month or so. I also ended up with a bout of bronchitis for weeks and every time I tried to cycle or run my chest was on fire. I finally got rid of that and back on the bike this weekend. I've mounted my new bike rack and I'm ready to get going again :)

I posted new pics under the What are you wearing post this morning :)