KT74

I'm in trouble...GAINS

I had such a great Summer and the lbs just fell off slow and steady while I was on vacation for 2+ months. Now I've been home for 11 days and I have GAINED 7 lbs. I haven't changed my eating habits from vacation, I feel like I'm doing everything the same for the most part. I have a check up with my surgeon in a couple of weeks and I am freaking out a bit over this gain. I was so close (263) to hitting my goal for that check up (257, 40 lb loss for 4 months), now I've shot back up to 269/270. Any ideas why this is happening? I was not expecting to slow/gain at this point (5 months out), this is very frustrating. 

Husband thinks it's stress, I'm not convinced stress could make me shoot up 7 lbs in such a short time. Or I'm just crazy for worrying over that amount and it's a horrible fluctuation. I have also heard that you begin to slow when you get closer to your 100 lb loss mark? I've been dreading that. 

Advice? Rationalizations? Sedative? :wacko:

Relax. Everyone's weight loss surgery journey is different. 

Just be sure to stick with the proper diet (no cheating!), drink lots of no calorie liquids, take your vitamins, and lead an active life style. You will lose weight and (if you stick with it) reach your goal weight.

We are here to support you.

30 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

Relax. Everyone's weight loss surgery journey is different. 

Just be sure to stick with the proper diet (no cheating!), drink lots of no calorie liquids, take your vitamins, and lead an active life style. You will lose weight and (if you stick with it) reach your goal weight.

We are here to support you.

I am horrible about taking vitamins. I haven't found one that I can tolerate well and WANT to take daily. Will that cause a stall? I know my fluid intake could be better as well. It's just very confusing with such a drastic switch from 2 weeks ago. 

What are you eating? What does a typical day of eating look like for you?

Salt intake?  Less exercise than on vacation?

49 minutes ago, KT74 said:

I am horrible about taking vitamins. I haven't found one that I can tolerate well and WANT to take daily. Will that cause a stall? I know my fluid intake could be better as well. It's just very confusing with such a drastic switch from 2 weeks ago. 

Weight loss is enhanced by your body receiving a healthy diet (including vitamins) and lots of liquids to flush the byproducts of weight loss out of your system. Similarly, being active makes it more likely that your body will lose weight. 

Try the chewable Flintstone vitamins. They taste pretty good. You should take two of them per day. You can find reasonably tasty calcium citrate chews at bariatric vitamin web sites.

I was same way with vitamins.   Not sure if this is appropriate but I found that the Bariatric Advantage chewables were tolerable and not bad tasting.  

21 hours ago, athenarose said:

What are you eating? What does a typical day of eating look like for you?

Hopefully you can see this.

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 3.27.04 PM.png

Edited by KT74

I would try cutting down on the carbs.

3 hours ago, TammyP said:

I would try cutting down on the carbs.

Yeah, I would try cutting down carbs and seeing if you can kick your body into ketosis or at least jumpstart your weight loss again. The 7 lbs could be hormones, water weight, stress (which does raise cortisol levels, which in turn can hinder weight loss) or just your body trying to adjust to such a huge weight loss. Even if you just doing what you're doing, the stall will most likely break eventually. But if you don't want to wait, dropping your carbs really low could help you start losing again,

I'd ditch the grapes, Cheez-its, & English muffin and see what happens. :)

Edited by Gretta

Hi @KT74 - After looking at your sample food diary day (thanks for providing that - very helpful!), I would agree with @TammyP @athenarose and @Gretta. I'm just about exactly in the same place as you as far as time from surgery goes (I had mine a week before you! Amazing 6 months, am I right?). I have great luck with keeping my carbs under 30 or 40 per day, and all of those from fruit and veg and dairy. Of course there's no way of knowing why someone is having a tough week or weeks, but when I have more carbs than that or I have carbs that come from refined sources (stuff made of flour, like Cheezits or English muffins), it tends to make me hungrier, which is a sign that my insulin levels have probably spiked, which isn't good for weight loss. Therefore, I avoid that stuff. If you can get your carbs really low for a week and see how that goes, it might motivate you to keep on eating that way. 

This was very interesting, as I had no idea grapes had so many carbs :o  I haven't had any grapes - guess I will keep avoiding :(  Sadly, I love grapes!

13 minutes ago, TammyP said:

This was very interesting, as I had no idea grapes had so many carbs :o  I haven't had any grapes - guess I will keep avoiding :(  Sadly, I love grapes!

As a diabetic, I'm generally familiar with the "best" and "worst" fruits with regards to carbs. Grapes are about the worst. Most berries are about the lowest-carb fruits. 

This is helpful--  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

4 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

Eeepz....Bananas have more carbs than grapes *cries*

14 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Hi @KT74 - After looking at your sample food diary day (thanks for providing that - very helpful!), I would agree with @TammyP @athenarose and @Gretta. I'm just about exactly in the same place as you as far as time from surgery goes (I had mine a week before you! Amazing 6 months, am I right?). I have great luck with keeping my carbs under 30 or 40 per day, and all of those from fruit and veg and dairy. Of course there's no way of knowing why someone is having a tough week or weeks, but when I have more carbs than that or I have carbs that come from refined sources (stuff made of flour, like Cheezits or English muffins), it tends to make me hungrier, which is a sign that my insulin levels have probably spiked, which isn't good for weight loss. Therefore, I avoid that stuff. If you can get your carbs really low for a week and see how that goes, it might motivate you to keep on eating that way. 

Before I went on vacation, for the first 3 months post op, I didn't eat any hard carbs (no bread, pasta, rice, or fruit with skin) and very little other carbs, so that was something new I added to my diet in Texas, and it actually seemed to help, strangely enough. I was on vacation for 2-3 weeks and one day I guess my body had enough and I felt very weak and faint. This is when I reintroduced carbs (whole wheat, some crackers etc, no pasta or rice) and I instantly felt better. Maybe I've adjusted to carbs now and it's time to take them back out, that's the only thing I can think of causing this weight gain. 

Incidentally, I went out and got a new protein powder and cut out most of my carbs for the last 2 days and I'm back down 3 lbs. So, there's that. This process is just becoming frustrating at this point. I need to cut down my carbs, so I up my protein and fluids, then I have OTHER issues which definitely make me stall out. I just haven't found that balance yet. I will confess something embarrassing, I haven't started working out yet. I go on hikes and swim with my kiddos, just day to day stuff, but no actual gym time. I've lost 75 lbs without "working out" so I can't really complain, but I know it's time to start. I'm just so lazy. :D

13 hours ago, TammyP said:

Eeepz....Bananas have more carbs than grapes *cries*

I think I was more shocked that Truvia has carbs, even though it's zero calorie. Science confuses me. 

13 hours ago, Michael_A said:

As a diabetic, I'm generally familiar with the "best" and "worst" fruits with regards to carbs. Grapes are about the worst. Most berries are about the lowest-carb fruits. 

This is helpful--  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

I DID actually know this, funnily enough. My mother is diabetic and only eats strawberries and apples. I knew she couldn't have grapes. I keep them around because I have little kiddos and they eat them daily. I do love blackberries, I might go back to those.

Just now, KT74 said:

I think I was more shocked that Truvia has carbs, even though it's zero calorie. Science confuses me. 

Most stevia packets contain maltodextrin. That's where the carbs come from, & why I use liquid stevia or one without carby additives.

Just now, Gretta said:

Most stevia packets contain maltodextrin. That's where the carbs come from, & why I use liquid stevia or one without carby additives.

I've been using the individual Truvia packets. Might be time to find something else. 

You're down 3 pounds already! So great!

4 minutes ago, KT74 said:

2 minutes ago, Gretta said:

Yep straight Stevia for me.I'm super careful about reading the contents now too, after buying Walmart's individual "stevia" packets but not noticing until I got home that it was actually a mix with xylitol. "Now" brand stevia is great stuff.

Another little thing about stevia, I avoid those products that blend erythritol with the stevia. Otherwise I'd be in the bathroom all day. Sorry, TMI.

1 minute ago, Gretta said:

You're down 3 pounds already! So great!

Maybe hormones or stress, who knows. I'm just glad to see it going back down! My kids start school for the first time tomorrow and we're in the process of a military move so it's a very stressful time.