Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GettinDown

Protein Drinks

2 posts in this topic

Hello, I am 5 years out from gastric. I have had 2 babies since and 3 kids total. I want to stay on protein shakes with this pregnancy but I am concerned. Anyone have a successful pregnancy while drinking them. I assume it is common post bypass I need to drink them now as it is harder to maintain my weight loss and get me protein in this far out without causing hunger, I have been doing the BACK on Track diet when I got pregnant. Anyway, let me hear the success stories.

There's so much conflicting information about pregnancy and protein shakes - I think that's something you probably need to ask a professional about and if you don't have access to your WLS office, maybe your PCP can help.

Either way, read the labels very carefully and do your research.  A lot of popular protein powders and shakes have herbs, high levels of vitamins and supplements etc. etc. which you may need to avoid.

And maybe it might be worth taking a natural route and check out making your own shakes using Greek yogurt (higher in protein), milk and maybe some fruit etc.  1/2 cup of FAGE and a cup of 2% milk will give you around 20g of protein.  Cottage cheese is a good alternative to yogurt - 1/2 cup of lowfat has around 14g protein.

Jen581791 likes this