barb120

Smelly & frequent flatulence!

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am 2-1/2 yrs post op and I have been struggling with frequent and very smelly flatulence! It’s so embarrassing. It has affected my work and home life, not to mention travels. I take Mylanta Gas and Gas X with only mild success. I am thinking about taking the Natures Bounty Probiotic supplement. Has anyone had any luck with this supplement, and if so, how many capsules to take a day? My bowel movements are daily and there is no issue there. Any help is much appreciated.

I had a RNY and was advised to try a probiotic and if that didn't help with the gas etc., to try doubling the dose (which in my case meant one morning and one evening).

But as always, it's worth checking in with your surgeon first - they might have another suggestion.

I like the probiotic idea. Could you be lactose intolerant? You may want to cut eggs out of your diet for a bit, too. I find phazyme does a much better job on gas than gas x.

Probiotics morning and evening for me.

Check out your diet for recent changes - if you started eating more of something recently, or less of something recently (I tend to notice a change when I stop eating yogurt for long periods, example). Any stomach upset with dairy? Always worth a mention to your physician as well, just to rule out things, but since you're having normal BMs thats good! Probiotics are always worth a try. Meds like gasx don't actually reduce the overall amount of gas, but rather basically combines that gas into a few large toots instead of multiples :D So they may make you more comfortable and able to expel gas before say, boarding a plane and knocking people out, but they don't actually change how much gas you have (or the smell). 

When all else fails, @NerdyLady has discussed the possibility of charcoal underpants before :P