Mpierce

Clothes- when to move on

32 posts in this topic

I was raised on the thrift store circuit. ;) My mom is a Thrift Queen and I consider it a treasure hunt (if you have access to thrift stores with good stock and prices).

I was just on a mini road trip with a girlfriend and stumbled across a thrift store where proceeds benefited a free clinic. I spent $25 and got a funky necklace, a brand new pair of shoes, a Melissa McCarthy jumpsuit, two tops, a long dressy rain jacket and a purse. AND the clothing were smaller sizes than I could have purchased before! While I realize I won't be in the sizes for long, well fitting clothing has a remarkable influence on my mood - I am definitely happier,  more confident and continue to make good food and exercise choices.

cinwa, kayak19, Aussie H and 2 others like this

8 minutes ago, CurvyMermaid said:

............AND the clothing were smaller sizes than I could have purchased before! While I realize I won't be in the sizes for long, well fitting clothing has a remarkable influence on my mood - I am definitely happier,  more confident and continue to make good food and exercise choices.

I always recommend that folk buy some clothes that are a little on the snug side.  The day we fit into a previously tight outfit is a major morale booster, particularly when we perceive a slow rate of weight loss based on the number on a scale.

Our local thrift shops have both rubbish and some good items. However the larger sizes are few. So I can see going to clearance racks also.

11 hours ago, CurvyMermaid said:

I was raised on the thrift store circuit. ;) My mom is a Thrift Queen and I consider it a treasure hunt (if you have access to thrift stores with good stock and prices).

I was just on a mini road trip with a girlfriend and stumbled across a thrift store where proceeds benefited a free clinic. I spent $25 and got a funky necklace, a brand new pair of shoes, a Melissa McCarthy jumpsuit, two tops, a long dressy rain jacket and a purse. AND the clothing were smaller sizes than I could have purchased before! While I realize I won't be in the sizes for long, well fitting clothing has a remarkable influence on my mood - I am definitely happier,  more confident and continue to make good food and exercise choices.

@CurvyMermaid WOAH! That's an awesome thrift store find. I've drooled over some of Melissa McCarthy's stuff but couldn't justify buying something for myself. 

You are right about well fitting clothing influencing a good mood. I wore a fitted top and skirt and it made me feel good about myself. I'm glad you found things that made you feel good! 

11 hours ago, cinwa said:

I always recommend that folk buy some clothes that are a little on the snug side.  The day we fit into a previously tight outfit is a major morale booster, particularly when we perceive a slow rate of weight loss based on the number on a scale.

@cinwa The other day, I bought shorts and a top that are a bit snug. It didn't make sense to me to buy a size that I'll grow out of in 5-10 lbs. I thought of you when I went shopping. :)

Sally L likes this

11 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

@cinwa The other day, I bought shorts and a top that are a bit snug. It didn't make sense to me to buy a size that I'll grow out of in 5-10 lbs. I thought of you when I went shopping. :)

The smaller we get, the less pounds we need to lose to drop another size so you'll be slipping into those babies pretty soon and then you'll have to buy a smaller size.  

Sally L, NerdyLady and Aussie H like this

My sis is a seamstress so I lucked out, she took in my favorite Tshirts so I got a bit more wear out of them. I bought 90-95% of my clothes at a variety of thrift stores in the area. I used to buy my jeans based on waist and length. Now I wear size 8's (oh happy dance).  Tops vary, Walmart sizing is bigger than Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus even if they are all "medium".  I got rid of all the old clothes - been there, done with that. 

Sally L likes this

I hate throwing out good Carhartt tee shirts (not away, I usually give to my son now). I still have 2 xlarge that I wear around the house, even though

I can fit in a medium. mostly wear larges.

NerdyLady and Sally L like this