Mpierce

Clothes- when to move on

32 posts in this topic

I am 2 weeks post-op and down 48 lbs total since I started pre-op monitoring. I am accumulating quite a bit of clothing that ranges from baggy to just too big. At what point did you start getting rid of clothing?  How often do you change out. I am afraid to buy new stuff that won't last long but I'm a teacher and will be going to work soon. I have to have fairly professional clothing. Any choices that have lasted longer for you?  I.e.: things you could wear a bit big?  

Trish13 and Stephtay like this

If they're too big now then my advice is to get rid of them (thrift store etc. or a friend) so that you can make room for the smaller sizes that you are going to need down the road.

I'm quite handy with the sewing machine and I was able to make a few bits smaller just by running a stitch up the side seams but that does little when it comes to shoulders etc. but I got a month extra out of them.

I've never been a dress person but a non-WLS friend has lost a good bit of weight by calorie counting (for the umpteenth time) and she has some nice belts that look good on some of her dresses so she gets a little longer wear out of them.

LeeC, Jen581791 and Stephtay like this

Hi @Mpierce, I'm a teacher, too, so I hear you on the back to school shopping. 

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of loose-ish cotton knit (like T-shirt material) dresses with long sweater things over the top. 

Examples (Old Navy is cheap enough that I don't have to sweat wearing this stuff for only a few months):

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1074774&pcid=7322&vid=8&pid=519045012

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=96020&pcid=96016&vid=8&pid=808772022

You've already made so much progress! Good for you :) 

Stephtay likes this

I throw mine as soon as I feel things look unflatteringly large, or with pants as soon as I feel there's a danger they might fall down. At present I have a bit of a dilemma with jeans. My smallest sizes are too big, but I'm two weeks out from going into a leg cast that will stay on for a minimum of two months....So no new jeans for me. They must look too big because my sister told me on the weekend to either take in the waist or start wearing a belt.

Stephtay, Jen581791 and BurgundyBoy like this

Get rid of anything thats too baggy to wear - you no longer need to keep "backup" clothing around, and in fact, mentally it can help to get rid of it! Begone, fat clothes! :P

Try to get your mileage out of somewhat stretchy multipurpose clothing (like what Jen links!) and belts to help you keep things around a bit longer. 

I'm a great believer that not wearing clothes that are too big is a huge morale booster to slip into a smaller size (whether they're new or gently used).

Raddy, Jen581791, Stephtay and 2 others like this

On 8/6/2017 at 1:18 PM, Mpierce said:

I am 2 weeks post-op and down 48 lbs total since I started pre-op monitoring. I am accumulating quite a bit of clothing that ranges from baggy to just too big. At what point did you start getting rid of clothing?  How often do you change out. I am afraid to buy new stuff that won't last long but I'm a teacher and will be going to work soon. I have to have fairly professional clothing. Any choices that have lasted longer for you?  I.e.: things you could wear a bit big?  

If they are too big either get rid of them or get them altered. Part of what helps us make the mind/body connection on our weight loss is wearing clothes that actually fit. I donated lots of clothes to Goodwill and found many great things there too. Dresses from Ann Taylor, Boden, J Crew and other nice brands for $6 or $10 a dress!

While I was losing I bought a couple of pairs of simple black pants that I could wear a couple of times a week. I didn't want to buy lots of stuff for the short time I was going to be in the 18 - 14 size range. 

Actually today I'm wearing a top size 1x that I had pre-op. I had it taken in once I got to goal. It's probably a size M now. Tailoring can be pricey but if it's something you love, do it!

Jen581791 likes this

Don't forget to post your "retired" clothes here:)

Posted (edited)

I wore belts on my jeans.  Search clearance racks.  I like Kohl's, and Maurice's.  Our Maurice's have 75 per cent off clearance right now; shirts for $5-$6.  Our goodwill is a disaster and I don't have hours to look at sizes that are all mixed up.  

Another word of caution; any new clothes you buy, keep the receipt in the bag.  Just in case when you want to wear it and pull it out of the bag and it's too big and needs to be returned a couple weeks after you buy it.  

Also, keep an old pair so you can eventually compare the goal size with the old size.  Or so you can see how far you've come;)

Edited by Cheesehead

This has been a very helpful post. I am a teacher too, and I need to get some work clothes.  I just don't want to spend a lot of money because things can change after my gastric bypass.

Stephtay and Jen581791 like this

Yes, it is amazing how fast things change. I cleaned out my closets and had two huge lawn bags full of clothes for good will. You don't realize how much you accumulate!  I am actually looking forward to doing a little back to school shopping this week.  I'm not planning on buying much. I need a couple pairs of nice slacks- there is only so much you can do with a belt :)   The weirdest thing is I need a new pair of shoes!  My feet have lost weight!:p  

On 8/8/2017 at 4:56 PM, Cheesehead said:

I wore belts on my jeans.  Search clearance racks.  I like Kohl's, and Maurice's.  Our Maurice's have 75 per cent off clearance right now; shirts for $5-$6.  Our goodwill is a disaster and I don't have hours to look at sizes that are all mixed up.  

Another word of caution; any new clothes you buy, keep the receipt in the bag.  Just in case when you want to wear it and pull it out of the bag and it's too big and needs to be returned a couple weeks after you buy it.  

Also, keep an old pair so you can eventually compare the goal size with the old size.  Or so you can see how far you've come;)

Once again, the folks above give great advice. 

We have great thrift stores in Boston and I have been visiting them for my dressier needs. I went to a wedding about six weeks after my surgery and bought a dress from Goodwill for $7. I also got some shorts and a few tops for the summer from a local thrift store. I've seen a lot of work appropriate clothing at every thrift store I have visited. I don't want to spend a ton of money on clothes when I am still losing. I've already donated things that I bought at the start of my journey and it feels good.

Jen581791, Mpierce and Res Ipsa like this

It's always worth picking up a few pieces that are a little snug.  Early out, it doesn't take long to drop a size and there is nothing more satisfying than slipping into a smaller size.

Raddy, Res Ipsa, Mpierce and 2 others like this

I definitely agree it feels good!  I did have one surprise yesterday. I put on a pair of shoes for work and the were too big. They flip flopped all day!  My happy dance moment was when I was able to put on my diamond Anniversary band for the first time in over 10 years!  It's so beautiful and it made me cry!  

TammyP, Gretta, LeeC and 3 others like this

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:02 AM, delilas said:

Get rid of anything thats too baggy to wear - you no longer need to keep "backup" clothing around, and in fact, mentally it can help to get rid of it! Begone, fat clothes! :P

Mentally, I am having a really hard time getting rid of the "backup" clothing.  I can't seem to get over the past "programming" that I *may* need these clothes again.  Such a weird feeling. :/  Also, I hate shopping, and I still have 48 more pounds to go, so I'm currently looking a bit baggy lol. (bag lady) :P

delilas likes this

I had a beloved pair of jeans that I just couldn't let go of.  They were a couple of sizes down from my biggest, and it was such a thrill to get into them, and them have them get loose.  They were really the first jeans I felt cute in.  I thought I'd keep them "just in case" which was stupid.  However, I came across them the other day and when I held them up they just looked so giant that I had no trouble at all sending them out the door.  Interesting perspective now that I've been at goal awhile.  Shopping is so much more fun at goal, you have more to choose from and cuter options. 

LeeC, Stephtay, Mpierce and 3 others like this

On 8/8/2017 at 1:56 PM, Cheesehead said:

Good one! I wish I would have done this. I gave several things to Goodwill that still had the tags on them! I was surprised how quickly I dropped sizes as a got smaller. Plus sized clothing is far more forgiving than regular sizes. In most of my pre-op plus sized stuff, it didn't matter if I gained or lost 25 pounds - most things still fit. But now if I gained or lost 25, I don't think I have one thing that would still fit.

Jen581791, Mpierce and Minfit like this

4 hours ago, TammyP said:

Mentally, I am having a really hard time getting rid of the "backup" clothing.  I can't seem to get over the past "programming" that I *may* need these clothes again.  Such a weird feeling. :/  Also, I hate shopping, and I still have 48 more pounds to go, so I'm currently looking a bit baggy lol. (bag lady) :P

Getting out of my baggy bag-lady clothes was really helpful for my self-esteem. It actually made me kind of not hate shopping... ;) I bought several new things that fit better and looked good, then when I had been wearing them a while, I tried the baggy stuff back on and the fear of getting rid of them went away - they looked like h3ll on me.

@Mpierce - what a great NSV! Jewelry fitting better (rings, necklaces, and bracelets) is really nice. It also makes me realize where all that fat was being stored: everywhere! Also, I've had a lot more luck with skirts and dresses being more "forgiving" of size changes than pants/slacks. A loose dress can be belted, but loose pants, even when belted, make me look pretty frumpy :( 

@Stephtay I have totally noticed how much faster the sizes are going now that I'm down into straight sizes. In the last month, I've zoomed from XL tops straight past L and now M fits me in many brands. I guess that's hard proof of vanity sizing - I don't think 190 lbs sounds like any "medium" I would imagine... :lol:

Mpierce, Aussie H, Stephtay and 2 others like this

I actually have the opposite problem - lots of clothes in my closet with smaller sizes and few in the larger sizes (at least right now). I'm down 45lbs and while I have only retired a few pieces of clothing, I've moved over a dozen from the 'too tight' side of the closet to the 'it fits!' side. I think that goes back to what @Stephtay said about plus sized clothing being more forgiving. Or at least the clothes I kept around!

Stephtay and Mpierce like this

On 11/08/2017 at 4:15 AM, Jen581791 said:

@Mpierce

@Stephtay I have totally noticed how much faster the sizes are going now that I'm down into straight sizes. In the last month, I've zoomed from XL tops straight past L and now M fits me in many brands. I guess that's hard proof of vanity sizing - I don't think 190 lbs sounds like any "medium" I would imagine... :lol:

I find the US sizes absolutely hilarious. Here in Australia our sizing is vastly different. Adult sizes don't even really start until size 10. Anything below that is a children's/petite teen size. As for reading about people wearing size zero....well here that is about the size of a 6 month old baby. If I buy anything US made then I'd probably be buying about a size 10. The reality here though is that I'm more realistically about size 14.

NerdyLady and LeeC like this

HI I still have clothes that are tight but I do  have some smaller sizes.  I am very glad that I didn't get rid of those pieces before my surgery.(9/11) I would hope that I can get into my clothes more easily after surgery. I know that you are suppose to get rid of you fat clothes, so I will be doing that as time goes onward. Do anybody use Thrift Stores to find clothes?

NerdyLady likes this

2 hours ago, Sally L said:

HI I still have clothes that are tight but I do  have some smaller sizes.  I am very glad that I didn't get rid of those pieces before my surgery.(9/11) I would hope that I can get into my clothes more easily after surgery. I know that you are suppose to get rid of you fat clothes, so I will be doing that as time goes onward. Do anybody use Thrift Stores to find clothes?

I am a thrift store champion!

CurvyMermaid likes this

12 hours ago, Sally L said:

............. anybody use Thrift Stores to find clothes?

Other than undies/bras/socks, until I got into the normal BMI range for my height, pretty much all of my clothes came from Goodwill and Thrift stores.

Mpierce likes this

On 8/9/2017 at 9:14 AM, Mpierce said:

Yes, it is amazing how fast things change. I cleaned out my closets and had two huge lawn bags full of clothes for good will. You don't realize how much you accumulate!  I am actually looking forward to doing a little back to school shopping this week.  I'm not planning on buying much. I need a couple pairs of nice slacks- there is only so much you can do with a belt :)   The weirdest thing is I need a new pair of shoes!  My feet have lost weight!:p  

Just bought a new pair of hiking boots for my recent vacation.... and while the length was the same, the width was more narrow. Love it!

I just bought 4 new pairs of chinos (my standard uniform...) while taking another 10 pair to the local homeless shelter/recycling folks. I figure the 4 pair are enough for my work week with washings and no reason to buy more until I'm sure my weight loss has leveled off. Agree with everyone else that new clothes make you feel great and keep the motivation up BUT no reason to over-buy while mid-trajectory!

What a lovely topic. 

LeeC, Mpierce and Sally L like this

13 hours ago, Sally L said:

Do anybody use Thrift Stores to find clothes?

Our local Thrift shops are just filled with rubbish. I donate so much nice stuff, so don't get why everything they have in stock is so horrible. Having another big cleanout in the morning.

Clearance racks are my go to.

Sally L likes this