Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dragonfly111

How soon after sleeve can I strength train?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,  

I am scheduled for my sleeve on September 11.  I currently strength train and do cardio 2-3 times a week.  I'm trying to do as much strength training as possible before my surgery.  I typically do a mix of old-school body resistance (push-ups, etc.), new-school resistance (TRX), and free weights (deadlifts, bench, etc.). 

I am SUPER concerned about losing muscle (and all of my progress!) post-surgery.  I've read a number of threads about people wanting to lift only after they've lost all of their weight, which seems pretty far out and makes it tougher to get back on track.  

I want to get back to strength training after surgery as soon as possible in order to minimize muscle loss and maintain/increase tone while losing.  

Anyone have any advice on this? FWIW, I'm 41, female. 

Thanks in advance! 

Stephtay likes this

That's something you needed to be guided on by your surgeon and much will depend on how your surgery goes.

Having said that, I had an umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as my RNY and wasn't cleared for anything more than walking for 6 weeks.

athenarose and Stephtay like this

Your surgeon will guide you. I was allowed to lift no more than 15 pounds starting at 2.5 weeks out. At the 3-month mark, I should be cleared for as much weight as I can handle. I still haven't been cleared for abs. I'm going to ask about abs at my 3-month appointment, too. Unfortunately, you will lose some muscle mass but keeping up your protein intake & continuing your strength training will help keep it to a minimum.

Jen581791 and Stephtay like this

On 8/5/2017 at 9:15 AM, Dragonfly111 said:

Hi all,  

I am scheduled for my sleeve on September 11.  I currently strength train and do cardio 2-3 times a week.  I'm trying to do as much strength training as possible before my surgery.  I typically do a mix of old-school body resistance (push-ups, etc.), new-school resistance (TRX), and free weights (deadlifts, bench, etc.). 

I am SUPER concerned about losing muscle (and all of my progress!) post-surgery.  I've read a number of threads about people wanting to lift only after they've lost all of their weight, which seems pretty far out and makes it tougher to get back on track.  

I want to get back to strength training after surgery as soon as possible in order to minimize muscle loss and maintain/increase tone while losing.  

Anyone have any advice on this? FWIW, I'm 41, female. 

Thanks in advance! 

Our pre-op stats are somewhat similar and my workouts pre-op sound a lot like yours. You will lose muscle but don't stress about it.I lost 50% of my body weight but I only lost about 35% of my strength as far as what weigh I use for 12 reps in sets of 3. Pound for pound, I'm stronger now than I was pre-WLS.

I started back working out with my trainer 4 weeks after WLS. Just follow what your dr says as far as how much you can lift and when. You'll be back in your pre-op shape (but better because you weigh less) in no time. Make sure you hit your protein goals too. That helps reduce muscle loss. 

Good Luck!

Stephtay, thank you so much!  You've put my mind at ease.  

Stephtay likes this

12 hours ago, Dragonfly111 said:

Stephtay, thank you so much!  You've put my mind at ease.  

You are welcome. About 15 months after WLS I had plastics which included a tummy tuck. My PS said under my loose skin I had the ab muscles "of a professional athlete". And, he said I would recover from the TT much faster because I was in good shape. You are going to do great with WLS and be stronger and fitter than ever! I am excited for you!

Dragonfly111 likes this