Jackie Sanchez

I took my first vitamin pill today

14 posts in this topic

hi everyone just wanted to share that i took my fist muli vitamin today and guess what it tasted disgusting it literally came back up when i couched and i almost vomit i had to cover my mouth because i didn't want to vomit the vitamin  and so i forced it go down again. it's a huge pill omg how in the world am i going to drink that pill after surgery? anyone else did or drank something else? or maybe i got disgusted because i dranked it around 7:30 am without eating breakfast??

You should pick up some chewable multivitamins - no work to get down at all and recommended for post-op. 

If you're sensitive to vitamins, it's a good idea to eat first. Vitamins on an empty stomach make many people nauseous.

I had trouble with vitamins after surgery. I kept throwing up the Centrum chewables Dr. Callery has us take. He ended up putting me on 2 Flintstones Complete vitamins a day. I'm able to keep those down, and my bloodwork looks good (thankfully).

Centrum chewable are currently my go to. I quite like them. I also take chewable probiotic and chewable Omega 3. At night time they are just like having a few Jube lollies as a snack. I will move back to pills once these chewable run out though because I can easily swallow the horse pills that are my calcium citrate supplements.

Aksh, Jen581791 and Jackie Sanchez like this

Early on I had two Flintstone complete chewable vitamins each day. A few months after surgery I switched to two CVS chewable vitamins each day (along with calcium citrate, vitamin D, and vitamin B-12 pills).  I take them just before meals.  

Jackie Sanchez and Jen581791 like this

I just mentioned this to you on another of your posts, but I'm repeating it here for anyone who may stumble on this thread. I take a liquid multivitamin and liquid vitamin D. This was recommended by Tufts Medical Center, one of the best WLS centers in the country. My nutritionist has approved these vitamins for me. 

I buy them on Amazon but the company info is in the link below. 

http://www.wellesse.com/health-needs/bariatric/

I am in the vitamin nausea group they are my arch enemies.  I have a chewable multi and calcium citrate with sublingual b12 and biotin but I haven't been taking any other supplements (iron, glucosamine, tumeric, acidophilus) because they just make me feel ill.  I have thrown up from taking them pre-surgery and don't relish the idea of repeating that experience.  And considering I don't eat much in the morning, the vitamins on an empty stomach is a continual problem.  I hesitate to get the liquid because I've got all these d*mn bottles of pills and I am too frugal to ditch them and buy new.  Le sigh.  So I am in a self-induced quandary - not taking the additional vitamins and not buying ones I will take.  Ugh. Vitamins.

Rant over.

NerdyLady and Jackie Sanchez like this

I take chewable multivitamins, sublingual vitamin B12, and VitaminD3 that is kind of like a little gel cap that goes down fine. The calcium citrate I take is not (supposed to be) chewable, but I chew it anyway because they are horse pills. Right after surgery, my surgeon had me cutting the calcium into 4 pieces. But between those and the other 14 pills I have to take during the day (at 10-15 minute intervals), chewing them was the best option. They don't taste great, but it works. Out of my other pills, I only take 4 that I have to swallow, and I crush the rest and take those all at once. I got used to it after a while, even though some of the crushed pills taste rancid. There are options you can purchase online, as others have said. That may be your best option. 

Jackie Sanchez and NerdyLady like this

Jackie,

Chopping the pill into smaller pieces might be helpful but either way, put a call into Dr. Callery's office and ask their advice.

Jackie Sanchez likes this

On 8/4/2017 at 6:26 PM, Gretta said:

I had trouble with vitamins after surgery. I kept throwing up the Centrum chewables Dr. Callery has us take. He ended up putting me on 2 Flintstones Complete vitamins a day. I'm able to keep those down, and my bloodwork looks good (thankfully).

sorry to hear that yeah i totally understand you my first vitamin pill was last week and it tasted disgusting but now it has been couple days i can now tolerate the taste and i'm okay drinking them now.  So how's your experience with Dr. Callery?

Aksh and NerdyLady like this

59 minutes ago, Jackie Sanchez said:

sorry to hear that yeah i totally understand you my first vitamin pill was last week and it tasted disgusting but now it has been couple days i can now tolerate the taste and i'm okay drinking them now.  So how's your experience with Dr. Callery?

So glad you're swallowing your vitamins well now. I can't wait until I can switch to swallow ones again. 

Dr. Callery & his staff have been great. They really know what they're doing. I've needed to call Tory a couple times with post-op issues, and she is awesome.

Your surgery is so close! Are you getting excited?

NerdyLady and Jackie Sanchez like this

On 8/6/2017 at 8:31 AM, CurvyMermaid said:

I am in the vitamin nausea group they are my arch enemies.  I have a chewable multi and calcium citrate with sublingual b12 and biotin but I haven't been taking any other supplements (iron, glucosamine, tumeric, acidophilus) because they just make me feel ill.  I have thrown up from taking them pre-surgery and don't relish the idea of repeating that experience.  And considering I don't eat much in the morning, the vitamins on an empty stomach is a continual problem.  I hesitate to get the liquid because I've got all these d*mn bottles of pills and I am too frugal to ditch them and buy new.  Le sigh.  So I am in a self-induced quandary - not taking the additional vitamins and not buying ones I will take.  Ugh. Vitamins.

Rant over.

I don't mind taking vitamins and don't mind the taste of pills, meds, etc. I tried the liquid vitamins just to try them and they tasted so bad I couldn't do it. Even when I did them like a shot with something strong like decaf coffee as a chaser. 

We need pill pockets for people who can't take pills or vitamins!

44 minutes ago, Gretta said:

So glad you're swallowing your vitamins well now. I can't wait until I can switch to swallow ones again. 

Dr. Callery & his staff have been great. They really know what they're doing. I've needed to call Tory a couple times with post-op issues, and she is awesome.

Your surgery is so close! Are you getting excited?

Yes i am! i can't wait i pretty much have everything ready and been reading lots of information/books to be well inform on what to do on my post op process. 

Gretta and NerdyLady like this

On 5/8/2017 at 7:09 AM, Aussie H said:

At night time they are just like having a few Jube lollies as a snack.

Hahahahhaahhaah!! Honestly I treat my nightly multi-vitamin the same way, like a midnight snack/sweet which works to satisfy that old part of me that used to snack at night and if I don't chew it and just treat it like a piece of hard-candy that gets sucked and slow-dissolved, it works really well to kill any craving to have something else (I stay up late very often so with enough time passed post dinner, a little hunger creeps in sometimes).

NerdyLady likes this