Jackie Sanchez

I'm scared

37 posts in this topic

Hi everyone my name is Jackie I'm from San Diego, ca. My surgeon is Dr.Callery. surgery date 8/23/17. The real concern is that despite the overweight i have on my body I have 0 health issues always been sick free I rarely get sick of the common flu you know and I read stories of people going under bariatric surgery and having multiple health issues afterwards. Any one else here had surgery with Dr.callery? I need feedback please.

Stephtay and NerdyLady like this

Jackie,

You couldn't be in safer hands with with Dr. Callery.

Although you have no health issues at present, statistically, that isn't likely to continue carrying the excess weight that you do.    

Jen581791, Stephtay, Trish13 and 1 other like this

Thanks for your feedback that's true though but that doesn't take away my concerns of waking up something I didn't intend too. 

I totally understand how you feel Jackie but something pointed out to me was that I needed to remember is that obesity as a disease (The American Medical Association) and being morbidly obese puts you at risk of developing some serious health issues such as:

High triglycerides and low high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol
Type 2 diabetes
High blood pressure
Metabolic syndrome — a combination of high blood sugar, high blood pressure, high triglycerides and low HDL cholesterol
Heart disease
Stroke
Cancer, including cancer of the uterus, cervix, endometrium, ovaries, breast, colon, rectum, esophagus, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, kidney and prostate
Breathing disorders, including sleep apnea, a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts
Gallbladder disease
Gynecological problems, such as infertility and irregular periods
Erectile dysfunction and sexual health issues
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, a condition in which fat builds up in the liver and can cause inflammation or scarring
Osteoarthritis

It's true for any of us undergoing WLS...there are always risks with any surgery, and rarely some folks do wake up with some complication they weren't expecting. But that is VERY RARE. And getting sick AFTER surgery, if you've never been sick pre op, is very unlikely. Like @cinwa said, the likelihood of you getting sick from continuing to remain overweight is a bigger concern by far. Most people that have multiple health issues post op, had them pre op. Do some research and talk to your doctor about your concerns. Hopefully he can put your mind at ease. 

cinwa and Jackie Sanchez like this

6 minutes ago, cinwa said:

I totally understand how you feel Jackie but something pointed out to me was that I needed to remember is that obesity as a disease (The American Medical Association) and being morbidly obese puts you at risk of developing some serious health issues such as:

Type 2 diabetes
High blood pressure
Metabolic syndrome — a combination of high blood sugar, high blood pressure, high triglycerides and low HDL cholesterol
Heart disease
Stroke
Cancer, including cancer of the uterus, cervix, endometrium, ovaries, breast, colon, rectum, esophagus, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, kidney and prostate
Breathing disorders, including sleep apnea, a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts
Gallbladder disease
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, a condition in which fat builds up in the liver and can cause inflammation or scarring
Osteoarthritis

^^ Excellent advice, Jackie. 

Stephtay and BurgundyBoy like this

Hey Jackie! I had surgery with Dr. Callery on May 31. Try not to get yourself worked up about it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well you're able to handle it. Feel free to PM me any questions, even ones you think are silly. I have zero regrets.

@Jackie Sanchez - I was the exact same way you currently when I was your age - 30. I weighed about the same, no health issues - of course the common cold, etc - but healthy and strong. Fast forward to 35, I was at the Gyno for my yearly appt. The nurse was doing her weight and blood pressure check. It was a little high, but not alarming. I get slightly nervous at Dr's, so I chalked it up to that...until my Dr said no birth control refill until you see your primary Dr due to you BP. I was SO mad..NOT ME, I thought!  I fought it for awhile and disregarded it because I know my body...lol! Finally had to go to Dr for my annual visit for my health insurance deduction. Guess what - I was put on BP medicine. Then at 40, High cholesterol meds. Then during testing for my Gastric Bypass, I found out I had SEVER sleep apnea - I stopped breathing over 86 times an hour on average and had NO idea. My point to this is - my weight kept creeping up through the years although I dieted off and on all the time, and as a result I ended up with health issues eventually. It's is inevitable, trust me. For all intents and purposes considering my weight was 306 and 5'4" and I was parked in front of the tv eating most nights with the kids and hubby, I wasn't too bad off. But here I am down 38 pounds after surgery. Starting to feel stronger and more energy day by day...heck I lost almost 5 Milk gallons of weight or 7.6 5-pound bags of sugar. ...in just 6 weeks!

Take a deep breath and try to relax....you started this journey because you want to be healthy(ier) and live longer. Are there bumps along the way - yes! Is it scary - yes! But so much of this is mostly overcoming the mental fear and learning how to retrain your eating habits. Your Dr appears to be very reputable and you are good, safe hands. This part of the process was WAY more scary to me than after surgery. Look at it from ALL angles and the fear will slowly goes away and the excitement begins to build. Stay on TT and read, read, read then ask, ask, ask. Doing your due diligence for information and understanding will help calm the nerves as it did for the rest of us. Best of luck!! :)

Posted (edited)

Welcome!

Pre-op I was pretty much 'fat healthy'. I had zero co-morbidities. I had (and still have migraines) but pretty healthy considering how fat I was. I did get the flu every couple of years and a bad cold about once a year, but that was it. Because I was healthy and I was still able to do things like snow ski, work out at the gym, hike, etc. I even did a two-day 40 mile walk for a fundraiser at approx 270 pounds. I fooled myself for a long time in thinking the affects of my excess weight would never catch up with me. In my early 40's, my dr. told me I was borderline HBP. I knew that would be the first of many dominoes to fall if I didn't do something about my excess weight. 

Post op I have GERD but I had it pre-op. I get sick even less often that I did at 300 pounds. My BP is fine. Both my GP dr and my acupuncturist tell me I'm one of their healthiest patients. I have much more energy than I did pre-op. I can get by for a day or two on very little sleep if need be. Pre-op if I got less than 5 hours one night I was a wreck the next day. 

I'm sure you will hear of and can find plenty of anecdotal stories of people who've had WLS and ended up with more health problems. But that is definitely not the norm. There are several people on here who I believe still regularly post that went from talking multiple meds daily for a variety of aliments to taking none after they lost most of their excess weight. I hope a couple of them will chime in on this thread. I would guess that some of those who end up with health issues after WLS either had them pre-op and didn't know. Or, they didn't follow/aren't following plan and ended up with vitamin deficiencies.

Your fears are totally normal. I was terrified. Even on the way to the hospital the morning of my surgery I asked my husband over and over, "OMG! What am I doing?! Have I made the right decision?! OMG! I'm so scared! Should we turn the car around?! Better idea! I've got lots of cash and we have the next week off - let's just drive to Puerto Vallarta!" Lucky for him the hospital was only about 20 minutes from my house. I'm certain that I could have repeated that refrain for hours. (And I didn't really have lots of cash. I didn't even have my purse!) Even when the nurses were trying to get the IV in my hand and couldn't, I had to talk myself out of getting up and bolting. My crazy brain thought, "This is a sign that I shouldn't have surgery!" The healthy part of my brain said, "SHUT UP! You don't even believe in signs!!!!!!!!!" 

Having WLS was the BEST decision I've ever made. I would do it again a hundred times if I had to. Take deep breaths, keep coming here for support and focus on all the success stories. You'll be at your goal weight before you know it. 

Edited by Stephtay

Posted (edited)

Welcome Jackie! I'll just say this- I had zero health problems before surgery. I was totally healthy other than being overweight and surgery was still the best thing I ever did. Even though I thought I was healthy before, I'm much healthier now. I promise you, no matter how healthy you think you are, that extra weight is taking a toll on your body. I never realized the amount of strain that extra weight put on my back, knees and feet. My quality of life is so much better. Now, I can easily sprint or climb a steep hill without getting winded. Things I didn't associate with my weight, like occasional migraines and mild depression are gone. I just got sick coincidentally. I had a cold then I got food poisoning. And it sucked. But no worse than pre-op. But no post-op complications for me. Just an amazing life that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Edited by athenarose

4 hours ago, cinwa said:

Type 2 diabetes
High blood pressure
Heart disease
Stroke
Gallbladder disease
Osteoarthritis

Hi thank you for replaying! :) yes you're absolutely right. my parents have health issues, my dad has heart problems the side of his family they'all have diabetes 1, 2 cancer  and my mom has diabetes oh and my dad was just diagnose with Parkinson :(

NerdyLady likes this

I also had no pre-op medical conditions. Normal to low BP, good resting pulse rate, good blood sugar levels, and better cholesterol levels than my nutritionist (she pointed that out). However, I was on my way to health problems, I am sure. Diabetes on both sides of my family, heart issues on both sides as well. Even if I managed to dodge those, though, people who are very overweight have damage to their bodies at the chromosomal level and have shorted life expectancies. Losing that weight actually appears to reverse that damage:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/160708081709.htm

Being afraid is not a good reason not to do something. Your life will change, and that can be a scary thing for anyone, but if you're like me, it will change in a good way. I'm so happy I had surgery. Life is better. There is risk involved in any surgery, but the risk is low compared to the risk of health issues if you stay where you are (and, if you're like me, gain a whole bunch of weight between the ages of 30 and 40...). I had no idea how much I was suffering from my weight until it was gone. 

Be strong. Focus on the positive outcomes. Read a bunch of WLS blogs (there are a lot of good ones on here) and watch WLS vlogs on YouTube (Milla K and Chemistry Queen are great). I think they'll help bolster your confidence.

2 hours ago, Stephtay said:

Welcome!

Pre-op I was pretty much 'fat healthy'. I had zero co-morbidities. I had (and still have migraines) but pretty healthy considering how fat I was. I did get the flu every couple of years and a bad cold about once a year, but that was it. Because I was healthy and I was still able to do things like snow ski, work out at the gym, hike, etc. I even did a two-day 40 mile walk for a fundraiser at approx 270 pounds. I fooled myself for a long time in thinking the affects of my excess weight would never catch up with me. In my early 40's, my dr. told me I was borderline HBP. I knew that would be the first of many dominoes to fall if I didn't do something about my excess weight. 

Post op I have GERD but I had it pre-op. I get sick even less often that I did at 300 pounds. My BP is fine. Both my GP dr and my acupuncturist tell me I'm one of their healthiest patients. I have much more energy than I did pre-op. I can get by for a day or two on very little sleep if need be. Pre-op if I got less than 5 hours one night I was a wreck the next day. 

I'm sure you will hear of and can find plenty of anecdotal stories of people who've had WLS and ended up with more health problems. But that is definitely not the norm. There are several people on here who I believe still regularly post that went from talking multiple meds daily for a variety of aliments to taking none after they lost most of their excess weight. I hope a couple of them will chime in on this thread. I would guess that some of those who end up with health issues after WLS either had them pre-op and didn't know. Or, they didn't follow/aren't following plan and ended up with vitamin deficiencies.

Your fears are totally normal. I was terrified. Even on the way to the hospital the morning of my surgery I asked my husband over and over, "OMG! What am I doing?! Have I made the right decision?! OMG! I'm so scared! Should we turn the car around?! Better idea! I've got lots of cash and we have the next week off - let's just drive to Puerto Vallarta!" Lucky for him the hospital was only about 20 minutes from my house. I'm certain that I could have repeated that refrain for hours. (And I didn't really have lots of cash. I didn't even have my purse!) Even when the nurses were trying to get the IV in my hand and couldn't, I had to talk myself out of getting up and bolting. My crazy brain thought, "This is a sign that I shouldn't have surgery!" The healthy part of my brain said, "SHUT UP! You don't even believe in signs!!!!!!!!!" 

Having WLS was the BEST decision I've ever made. I would do it again a hundred times if I had to. Take deep breaths, keep coming here for support and focus on all the success stories. You'll be at your goal weight before you know it. 

wow i love how informative you're statement is i love it and you're absolutely right. i just turned 30 3 months ago and believe that hit me big time to realize years had passed by and yet i'm still fat i been fat since i was 7 years old a lot to it has to do with my childhood but uhm i don't want to share all that negativity right here but i now want to do something about me. i want to be able to be active and look good most importantly for my kids i have 4 that need me 24/7 :( 

I have never been healthier!  I work in a daycare around little germ carriers.  I have not even had a cold since surgery!  I've had zero complications from surgery and I resolved all my medical problems...

7 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

It's true for any of us undergoing WLS...there are always risks with any surgery, and rarely some folks do wake up with some complication they weren't expecting. But that is VERY RARE. And getting sick AFTER surgery, if you've never been sick pre op, is very unlikely. Like @cinwa said, the likelihood of you getting sick from continuing to remain overweight is a bigger concern by far. Most people that have multiple health issues post op, had them pre op. Do some research and talk to your doctor about your concerns. Hopefully he can put your mind at ease. 

thanks. yeah and that's what it frightens me. Hopefully it won't happen to me and i will try my best to avoid having complications by taking all my vitamins and eating accordingly and speaking of which this morning i started my pre-op diet and taking vitamis today and guess what i almost threw up i drank a multi vitamin pill it was huge and for some reason it came back up omg i had to cover my mouth and let it back down. i wonder how am i going to drink those huge pills after surgery? i will ask my surgeon on thursday.

BurgundyBoy, Stephtay and NerdyLady like this

1 hour ago, Jackie Sanchez said:

thanks. yeah and that's what it frightens me. Hopefully it won't happen to me and i will try my best to avoid having complications by taking all my vitamins and eating accordingly and speaking of which this morning i started my pre-op diet and taking vitamis today and guess what i almost threw up i drank a multi vitamin pill it was huge and for some reason it came back up omg i had to cover my mouth and let it back down. i wonder how am i going to drink those huge pills after surgery? i will ask my surgeon on thursday.

You don't have to take huge pills after surgery. I still take chewable multivitamins (specifically formulated for WLS patients) and they're good (I mean, as far as vitamins go). I think it's great to have concerns and address them, just don't let the fear of what it's very unlikely to happen scare you away from doing something that will, most likely, drastically improve your quality of life and health in countless ways.

I was scared so much that I got in the OR and told myself it wasn't to late to run!  Thank god I didn't!  Life is good as a thinner person!  I can play on slides with the grandkids, sled with them, scuba dive, bend over and pick stuff up off the floor..life is good on the losers bench!

3 hours ago, Jackie Sanchez said:

They'll put you on a chewable vitsmin. Look at page 44 of your binder :)

Jackie Sanchez likes this

22 hours ago, Jackie Sanchez said:

Thanks for your feedback that's true though but that doesn't take away my concerns of waking up something I didn't intend too. 

Jackie,

I'm echoing everything that people have said above. You may be a bit emotional after the surgery. People handle postop life in many ways. The first month was very hard for me emotionally and I said more than once that I regretted my surgery. All of these emotions are normal after surgery. 

I am four months postop and I feel amazing. I wish I had done this surgery much sooner. I wish I hadn't waited until developing diabetes and sleep apnea. You may be healthy now but like folks above have said, obesity can catch up on you and destroy your health. 

This surgery will be the best thing you will ever do for yourself. 

BurgundyBoy and athenarose like this

14 hours ago, Jackie Sanchez said:

I take a liquid multivitamin recommended by Tufts Medical Center, one of the best clinics in the US. I buy them on Amazon.com

http://www.wellesse.com/health-needs/bariatric/

On 8/4/2017 at 0:40 PM, Stephtay said:

I was also in the 'fat healthy' category and my pre-op tests were mainly to convince the doctors that I didn't have the typical co-morbidities I knew I didn't have (sleep apnea, high blood pressure, GERD).  I also managed to fool myself that the excess weight wasn't detracting from my ability to kayak, scuba dive, hike and do other active trips so it must not be as big a hindrance as everyone warns.  BUT, I recognized that the health issues would be coming down the pike as I carried this weight with me so I pulled the trigger, so to speak.  While I am only about 5 weeks post-op, my regret is only that I did not do this sooner.  I spent the first few decades of my life morbidly obese and not living the life I secretly lusted after and now those doors are slowly opening to me. A little fear for this is normal but try not to lose focus on all of those doors that are waiting to be opened by the new life you'll be able to live post-op.

23 hours ago, CurvyMermaid said:

I also managed to fool myself that the excess weight wasn't detracting from my ability to kayak, 

Pre-op when I would kayak, I would ride so low water would splash over the sides. And, when I would capsize, it was rough hauling my 300 pounds back in!

Jen581791 likes this

Posted (edited)

Chiming in as the others have.

I too had no obesity related co-morbidities. But at nearly 280 lbs, that would not last and I couldn't help but feel like my weight was a ticking time bomb. I've never been healthier than I am right now. I spent a year doing research before I made the decision to have WLS and I can say with total confidence that it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

When you start to feel overwhelmed by your fears, try to remember the following:

• WLS adds an average of 10 years to a person's life. Think of everything good that has happened in your life over the last 10 years. Would you really want to have missed any of it?
  • Obesity is many times more likely to kill or harm you than the surgery.
  • Without realizing it, fear of 'not being able to eat the way I do now' can contribute to surgical trepidations. It's kind of like having to break off an unhealthy love affair. You know the person is terrible for you but you still find them irresistibly attractive.
  • There is no single treatment more effective for obesity than WLS. Statistically speaking, only 5% of people who have 100 lbs or more to lose are able to do so without surgical intervention, and only 1% are able to keep it off for 5 or more years. Let that sink in for a second. 99% of people are unable to sustain their weight loss for 5+ years. That's an astounding failure rate. Now let's compare that to the data for WLS: You are literally 50 times more likely to lose your excess weight and keep it off for 5+ years. If we were talking about cancer and doctor's presented you with 2 treatment options, one with a 1% survival rate and the other one 50%, which would you choose? Yep, me too.
  • With the adoption of the laparoscopic method, the risk of surgical complications was dramatically reduced. The procedure you're having has a lower risk of surgical and long term complications compared to other procedures.

Fear is a very very strong emotion and when given a voice, can trick you into thinking it's legitimate. The cognitive part of us knows better. If it didn't, you wouldn't be as close to getting the surgery as you are now. Hang in there, you're almost to the finish line. A year from now, this will all be a distant memory as you give the same advice to someone else that we are all giving you now....oh and you'll be doing it in a fit and healthy body!

Edited by Jabsie

Jackie, what a good thread you started. Not sure I can say anything more than what others have said. At the end of the day, what will probably hit your emotional center is that fact that your BMI is way less than your current 43, and you will be able to do so much you can't do now.

For those of us who have had to deal with medical conditions, chronic pains, sleep apnea, etc we have had to grapple with issues that just can't be as real to you as they have been to us. (This is why people have problems taking a medicine for a disease they can't feel, like hypertension that is silent until the Bad Stuff happens to them). so in the future maybe your cognitive center will recognize this set of benefits but they just will never be as real to you as they are to others with them. But that is good: you are avoiding them. 

As @Jabsie says fear is very powerful but (to paraphrase her) you have have a brain for a reason. Good luck with the struggle. I*m on vacation in the mountains walking miles with my beloved son and wife, knowing I could not have done this 6 months ago. I'm so happy. 

Jabsie and Jen581791 like this

A few weeks ago was my year surgiversary. (Sure that's a word!), I've had a year since my surgery. Today I currently weigh half of what I used to weigh. That's a trip, to really think about. I am half the person I was. There are con's about the surgery. 

- My hair is still falling out, not noticeable to anyone but me, but it's there. 

- I have loose skin. Like, Watch it jiggle.

- I have to take vitamins every day for the rest of my life

- I get awfully thirsty and can't drink until 30 minutes has passed at the very least even if I've just had a nibble of something.

- My muscles are not what they were when I was larger, I can't lift the same amount.

But, they definitely do not outweigh the benefits to the surgery. 

- I am healthier.

- I can walk for miles without getting winded, I can go up and down the stairs, repeatedly, without being sore (I just moved, and talk about 30+ trips up and down my old stairs)

- I am no longer taking any medications beyond birth control (I had to have an IUD put in, due to how your body absorbs birth control after the surgery). Previously I was on metformin for Diabetes, and Labetalol for High Blood Pressure, prompting my then GP to ask me how I was even conscious with the doses I had to take. 

- I can shop in the 'cute section' of clothes

- People respond to me, a lot more positive than before.

- I feel fantastic. Like, fantastic. My body doesn't ache like before

- I only have a BM once in the day, previously, I was going every few hours. (Yeah yeah I know TMi but it's there).

I consider having Gastric Bypass the best decision of my adult life (Bar my kids and husband). I would do it again in a heart beat. The cons to the surgery are minor for me, and they absolutely do not even compare to the benefits of having it done. Previously, I was cautious to look people in the eye. I was scared of my weight, embarrassed due to my size. I didn't even realise how embarrassed I was until I became thin, I didn't even think about all of the excuses, and the bargaining I did with myself to find my weight previously acceptable, sexy, BBW and all that. I can say I am not the person I was before, I am happier, healthier, and I feel amazing. Fear of the unknown is scary, change is scary, but don't let that fear stop you from making a decision that will alter your life for the best.