valslosinit

Is this for real?

I'm 45...tired of being overweight and run down.  I've been researching/contemplating surgery since my 20s.  I'm serious about it now.  This time...it all started with a new job and new insurance.  Sign #1 - I happened to read that my husband's new insurance covered bariatric surgery so I called to verify and sure enough, providing the BMI was high enough (oh boy, is it!!) and the whole 6 month medically supervised yada yada.  They gave me the name of 2 surgeons that are covered under the plan....both of which I had already been researching, I chose the one who had the better reviews.  They told me that 100% would be covered AFTER paying the $2500 deductible....instant cringe b/c my husband's one stipulation for going through with this is that it wasn't going to cost us a lot of money

Sign #2 - I didn't tell the Hubs until the next day about the insurance convo.....he then proceeds to tell me that part of the contract with his employer is they pay all deductibles.  Back the truck up!!!  What did he just say?!  He said it again.....the employer picks up the tab for the deductible.  Hubs is happy, I am in shock (even now)

Sign #3 - Now to prepare my big speech for my PCP as to why I must have this surgery...you see, I had overheard him talking to an overweight patient about her desire to have WLS and he told her that he wasn't really a fan of it (in so many words) so I knew I had my work cut out for me.  I rehearsed in my head what I was going to say to him and how I was going to say it.  Fast forward to appt day, I'm anxiously waiting and rehearsing and sweating....in he walks, asks me how I'm doing and I just blurt out "I want you to approve me for WLS, I need to start this 6 month medically supervised diet right away" as I paused to take a breath, he said "okay"  Um what?  Okay?!  He's totally onboard....just like that.  He did say that he's going to set goals for me each month and if it turns out that I think I can do this on my own w/o the surgery, all the better.  Umm....if I could do this on my own, I wouldn't still be fat....but okay doc, whatever you say.

I know I could have just typed "i had 3 signs telling me to get this surgery" but typing it all out like this is quite cathartic.  All of these obstacles (or 'excuses' as I should call them) have been removed from my path.  I keep wanting to pinch myself....this is REAL!  I have no more excuses really.  But I will tell ya...I am scared you-know-whatless...I had my gallbladder removed in 2013 in what should have been easy laproscopic procedure....nope....surgeon severed my liver bile duct....had to be taken via ambulance 50 miles away to a liver surgeon to have it repaired, spent 8 days in the hospital...worst freekin' experience (as it so happens, the anniversary of that debacle is tomorrow!) so you can expect that I'm a little (lot) gun-shy with this VSG procedure.  But I feel like all these 'signs' are the universe's way of letting me know that it'll be okay.  I WANT this surgery....I NEED this surgery.  I don't want to be morbidly obese any more.  I'm 5'7 and weigh 259.9.  I didn't think I was 'morbidly' obese but the BMI calculator says I am.  I'm all belly...no butt...no nothing but belly...the worst kind of fat storage area you can have.  I'm done.  I'm over it.  I'm ready to LOSE it!!!  I know it's not gonna be easy....not as easy as it was to put on.  I don't want medical problems as I age.  I still have two littles at home (8yo and a 5yo) and new grandbaby on the way...I wanna be IN their lives, not on the sidelines watching from my sofa b/c my knees and ankles hurt or b/c I'm so out of breath.  I'm ready....ready to lose it. 

Thank you for taking the time out to read this insane rant lol.  Nice to meet y'all!

Welcome to Thinner Times Val!

Welcome, Val! So far, so good! Employer-paid deductibles? Yes, please!

6 hours ago, valslosinit said:

Now to prepare my big speech for my PCP as to why I must have this surgery

Welcome to the forum!  I've just finished my 6-month supervised program. 

I had the same experience when working up the courage to talk to my PCP about surgery. But I was so surprised and happy that he was very enthusiastic about it.

Your 6 months will go by quickly.

Welcome, Val! It looks like the pathway has been cleared for you - a very nice series of events to start you on your way. Participating in life instead of watching it is a great motivator. I hope your journey goes smoothly :) 

Welcome!  

First of all, a big welcome Val. As we say in my part of the world "the ducks are all lined up" now....So shoot them down woman. Whatever happens in your supervised diet, don't let the doctor talk you down from having the surgery. You may well lose weight...perhaps lots. The problem is, as statistics show, your chances of keeping it off in the long run, are minimal. I'm so glad that I didn't need the approval of my family doctor. In my case I had a gastrointestinal problem and was referred to a visiting surgeon in the town where I live. He just happened to be the Head of Bariatrics at one of my states leading teaching hospitals. After numerous tests he informed me my only option for relief was an RNY Gastric Bypass. I've since heard from some of my family doctor's other patients that he won't refer patients for weight loss surgery. What a tosser!!! Hopefully my success will help him change his outlook on the very real benefits of metabolic surgery.

Welcome. You are well on your way to weight loss surgery and a life of being thin, healthy and more active. We are here to support you. :)

I should have also mentioned that in all the research I've done, last night was the first time I've ever run across TTF.com.  I'll take that as another sign.  Thank you for your kindness!  I've read other topics and can tell how supportive you all are of each other.  I need this!!!

Welcome Val!  You have found a great online "home" :)

Welcome to our little corner of the Internet, Val! I had to chuckle when you mentioned you are all belly and no butt. I was 225 lbs and all belly, with a pancake behind. I have skinny little legs, so I was like an apple on toothpicks. I am sad to say that my bum has gotten flatter post surgery! :D

I am quite pleased to "meet" you. People here have been very kind and nonjudgmental. Check in often. It's nice coming to a place where people have truly been in your shoes. 

:)

On 8/4/2017 at 8:05 PM, valslosinit said:

I should have also mentioned that in all the research I've done, last night was the first time I've ever run across TTF.com.  I'll take that as another sign.  Thank you for your kindness!  I've read other topics and can tell how supportive you all are of each other.  I need this!!!

And IMHO, you couldn't be in a better place Val.  Originally, I signed up for a couple of other forums but ultimately, I felt I got the support I needed here and other than when I've been in hospital (and a couple of days of no internet), I haven't missed a day in over 10 years.

Welcome, Val! I had a similar experience and I'm so glad I went with it. You're going to be just fine. Congrats on starting the process towards a healthier you!